HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 12:12 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Nice update Coldrx! Symphony will be a nice one hopefully

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 1:48 AM
Community Guy

I absolutely love this angle of our fair city.

www.twitter.com/wherezjeff

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 2:52 AM

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 3:26 AM
Community Guy

Almost all of the angles, nicely done.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 3:33 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Looks pretty cool how the residential portion of the Stantec tower looks like a separate tower growing off the office tower. Great updates to the both of yous

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Stantec Tower

Sunday March 11, 2018 by Thomas Huizinga, on Flickr
The podium looks a little squat for such a large building. Also what sort of material are they using on it? It almost looks like some sort of prefab.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 3:03 PM
Community Guy

That side does, but the plaza side is about right. It is almost terracotta like in look, but unsure.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 3:20 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
The podium looks a little squat for such a large building. Also what sort of material are they using on it? It almost looks like some sort of prefab.
I like that they chose a warmer colour for the podium but the material they used is very industrial looking and monochromatic. Would be better it they had used something with texture and variance like brick or prodema panels or something.

Also, how come the louvers above the podium look less dark than the ones at the top? They actually blend in with the glass unlike that ugly black strip at the top. Did they just cheap out on the ones higher up?

Last edited by O-tacular; Mar 12, 2018 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Did Edmonton ever have a more classical style Bay building like you see in Calgary and Vancouver? This one hurts my eyes lol.

Going to be up there next week, looking forward to see the impact the Ice District has had on the skyline!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Did Edmonton ever have a more classical style Bay building like you see in Calgary and Vancouver? This one hurts my eyes lol.
Going to be up there next week, looking forward to see the impact the Ice District has had on the skyline!

Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, even Victoria built a newer one that has a grand DT department store style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Also, how come the louvers above the podium look less dark than the ones at the top? They actually blend in with the glass unlike that newr black strip at the top. Did they just cheap out on the ones higher up?
I believe they are all black, the suns reflection on the lower levels make it appear lighter.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:12 PM

^ Yeah, there's a classic old Bay store on Jasper Avenue, it's a U of A building now. The store itself moved around in the 90s to be part of the downtown mall... from the original store, to the old Woodwards at the east end of ECC, then to the old Eaton's (current location) at the west end of ECC.

The Bay always felt a little forlorn in the old Eaton's site, but now it's prime real estate... I'd imagine they will get a good bump in business once Ice District is fully built out.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:15 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post

Holy shit I thought that was like a Greyhound building or government office or something.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:16 PM
Derp

You can see the old Bay store in photo "11" that itom posted
They added a couple floors around 10 years ago and rebranded it Enterprise Square

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:20 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Yeah, there's a classic old Bay store on Jasper Avenue, it's a U of A building now. The store itself moved around in the 90s to be part of the downtown mall... from the original store, to the old Woodwards at the east end of ECC, then to the old Eaton's (current location) at the west end of ECC.

The Bay always felt a little forlorn in the old Eaton's site, but now it's prime real estate... I'd imagine they will get a good bump in business once Ice District is fully built out.
Maybe time for a reno then.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
You can see the old Bay store in photo "11" that itom posted
They added a couple floors around 10 years ago and rebranded it Enterprise Square
So it was never quite as grand as the Calgary or Vancouver one? Sad that the new one looks like a bunker. Hopefully it gets updated to a more modern store and the current one meets a wrecking ball. The one in Ottawa is nearly as bad, was surprised when I saw it, that generation of architecture wasn't kind to Canadian cities.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:05 PM

^ Edmonton still has its old Bay store, but just repurposed to a new use. I doubt that HBC misses the old building... I'm sure the big old stores are more costly to run and much more of a hassle operationally, even if they are prettier than the newer models.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:07 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I like that they chose a warmer colour for the podium but the material they used is very industrial looking and monochromatic. Would be better it they had used something with texture and variance like brick or prodema panels or something.

Also, how come the louvers above the podium look less dark than the ones at the top? They actually blend in with the glass unlike that ugly black strip at the top. Did they just cheap out on the ones higher up?
Brick would look cheap for a tower like this. Same with Prodema or any other wood composite. A nicer terracotta tile, quality metal panel or light coloured stone would be more aesthetically pleasing but, that wouldn't address the podium itself. First. It remove it entirely along 102 St and bring the tower to grade with some high end structural glazing system. Second. I'd double the height in the plaza area and try something to break it up possibly through customized storefronts. I don't know what would be best. I do know it is too low.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I doubt that HBC misses the old building... I'm sure the big old stores are more costly to run and much more of a hassle operationally, even if they are prettier than the newer models.
I don't doubt that, the Bay downtown here is 7 floors, the top 2 are barely used and the building needs massive renovations. I think it's the nicest Bay store in the country though, the only real classical arcade in Calgary too.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:17 AM
Community Guy

Winnipeg has a beautiful building, but needs love.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:28 AM
Community Guy

@thebinster

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada