HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 6:30 PM
Community Guy

Love the hill and lookout.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 10:26 PM

Wow. That is truly awesome.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 10:40 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

What is that hopital doing so near the Alex? Is it there as a clinic, for playing a supportive role, or is it a full-fledged hospital?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
What is that hopital doing so near the Alex? Is it there as a clinic, for playing a supportive role, or is it a full-fledged hospital?
Probably replace the Glenrose.

Glenrose, it's unique looking, but its terrible inside.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 11:00 PM
Urban Advocate

Yup, I think it is a long-term relocation plan with associated supportive services adjacent to it.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 3:15 AM

looks like a good place for a new soccer stadium
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
Probably replace the Glenrose.

Glenrose, it's unique looking, but its terrible inside.
I completely agree if you are talking about the portion that was built in the '60s. The air quality in that section alone is awful. But I would disagree if you are talking about the portion that was built in the late 80's.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 5:38 PM
Community Guy

There were/are rumours Alberta hospital might go on the SEC, but very much rumours.

As for a new 10-15,000 seat soccer stadium, hell yes.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 7:01 PM
Urban Advocate

Following some of the re-design cues from CAMH on Queen West in Toronto, that would be great.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 2:20 AM
BANNED

some more pics

Quote:
Edmonton Airport Lands, Edmonton, Canada
Redevelopment of airport lands creates a new sustainable community

Completed in 2010 and the winner in an international design competition, Perkins+Will's master plan for the redevelopment of Edmonton's airport lands repairs a 215-hectare rift in the city's urban fabric and creates a truly memorable place for Edmontonians. To achieve this, the plan - called ‘Connecticity' - fulfills the city's goal of creating a world-class sustainable community for 30,000 residents and pursues four strands of connectedness, each embodying key sustainability principles.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=17495

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 6:15 PM

Pure awesome.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 5:33 AM

http://www.gov.edmonton.ab.ca/city_g...rt-monday.aspx
Quote:
The second round of public consultation workshops on the City Centre Redevelopment plan are getting underway. Perkins+Will, the Vancouver-firm contracted to lead this work, will use citizen input from the workshops to refine their conceptual plan to develop the City Centre airport lands into a world-class community in the heart of Edmonton.

Date: Monday, February 13, 2012
Time: 6:30pm

Date: Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Date: Thursday, February 16, 2012

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:13 PM
Community Guy

Designers seek ways to reduce vehicle traffic in City Centre Airport development

BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM FEBRUARY 13, 2012

STORYPHOTOS ( 4 )

More Images »

Peter Busby, principal at Perkins and Will Canada, speaks during a press conference at City Hall in Edmonton Sept. 14, 2011.
Photograph by: Dan Riedlhuber, file, edmontonjournal.com
EDMONTON — Designers are looking at including a hub for car and truck rentals as one way to reduce the need for private vehicles in the City Centre Airport redevelopment.

That’s one idea for the proposed environmentally friendly community that will be outlined at public sessions this week as work continues on a master plan for the 217-hectare site, says Phil Sande, project executive director.

The gatherings Monday, Wednesday and Thursday follow up on suggestions provided by 100 to 120 people at initial meetings last October, as well as from the website and in discussions with interested groups, he said.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...893/story.html

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 2:30 AM
Community Guy

Garbage will be sucked underground in proposed Edmonton airport lands development

BY SHEILA PRATT, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM MAY 26, 2012 8:02 PM

STORYPHOTOS ( 5 )

An artist's view of the proposed design of the city centre airport redevelopment.
Photograph by: Supplied , edmontonjournal.com
EDMONTON - Noisy garbage trucks won’t be rumbling down neighbourhood streets in the new City Centre Airport Lands. Instead, residents will dump their bags of waste into street-level garbage chutes that connect to an underground vacuum collection system, which will whisk the bags off to a nearby sorting plant.

The proposed community of 30,000 will also have “agri-hoods,” a term coined to describe residential areas with large green spaces between block of apartments and townhouses where people can grow food, city architect Barry Johns told about 250 people at the Food in the City Conference in the first update on the airport lands in many months.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...279/story.html

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 2:22 PM
Change is good

getting less euthastic about the redevelop plans, the more they try to throw in stupid ideas that are only great in the concept stage.... like above. Are they just trying to throw every hippy idea they can at this thing ? Geothermal to provide heat to downtown and this development? Vacuum garbage? Agri-hoods? At what point does the city do a full stop and start cutting out this extra shit? It's completely stupid. The city needs to focus on the basic. Seeing Fort Road? You've really fucked that up. Don't fuck this up. You currently look to be very well trying to fuck this up.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 3:50 PM
Community Guy

100% disagree. We have an opportunity here to do something different, something innovative, something leading edge. This was always a goal for this redevelopment. We want this to incorporate ideas, concepts and applications that are as much about viability and practicality as they are about pushing the envelope. This is about what could or can be...

If you want traditional, go to griesbach.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 4:02 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

How much suction do you need to suck solids through a distance of more than a kilometre? At least use some sense and use some augers for that stuff.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 4:03 PM
Change is good

A biosmass plant? Stick that in cloverbar where it belongs
Geothermal? Sure okay and to heat downtown? Do you realize how fat away that is? How much heat loss?

There is leading edge and then there is bleeding edge. I have very little faith in city administration to pull anything off anywhere near budget ... This concept stage has spiral so far out of control it almost has me wishing we kept the airport instead

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 4:53 PM
Hamletropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
How much suction do you need to suck solids through a distance of more than a kilometre? At least use some sense and use some augers for that stuff.
I think they are using the suction word liberally, I think the main idea of the suction is to have a negative pressure to reduce smell. I would guess they have augers and conveyors

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
A biosmass plant? Stick that in cloverbar where it belongs
Geothermal? Sure okay and to heat downtown? Do you realize how fat away that is? How much heat loss?

There is leading edge and then there is bleeding edge. I have very little faith in city administration to pull anything off anywhere near budget ... This concept stage has spiral so far out of control it almost has me wishing we kept the airport instead
I agree. I did not fight to have these lands turned into an experiment in enviro ideas that cost taxpayers a dime. This stuff Barry Johns is taking about will NOT get the support of Edmontonians - save for a few. Nor will the Provinc step in or Feds with funds...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton