HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 7:58 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Just dropping in to give SLC some praise. I discovered that your bus map is color-coded to show bus frequencies, and think it is a freaking fabulous idea. I've been showing it to all sorts of people.
Honolulu color codes that way too. Very convenient.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 10:05 PM

According to the Des News, TRAX saw a jump of about 15,000 extra daily boardings associated with the opening of City Creek opening. Not sure how long that will carry over, but it will likely help make for a slight bump in the 1st Quarter transit numbers.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:33 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Good article in the Tribune today about the future of N. Temple.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...-area.html.csp

Why do I even read the comments section? Heaven forbid the city try to make itself nicer.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Good article in the Tribune today about the future of N. Temple.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...-area.html.csp

Why do I even read the comments section? Heaven forbid the city try to make itself nicer.
I just went to the article and read the comments. Funny that the rationale for some people against redevelopment of North Temple is because property values will go up. As a property owner in the area, I am all for it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:45 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

With north temple becoming more like west valley every day I will be happy to see property values and tax rates go up in the area. This will eventualy push out the people who dont want to invest in maintaining their property... It will be nice in the long run.

I think a huge step in this prosess would be eliminating all of the trashy motels along north temple. They are a popular location for drugies and prostitutes and just look outright trashy. It kind of sucks though because they have to more or less leave willingly... Hopfully developes will be able to buy them out one day.

I wonder if any develops have even looked at doing anything along north temple yet.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:20 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I wonder if any develops have even looked at doing anything along north temple yet.
I guarantee they have/are looking at opportunities in the area. Some of the current property owners may already have some plans or ideas. Just because it currently looks like crap doesn't mean that the property owners don't care, they could be simply waiting for the timing to be right, and simply allow the current use/current leasee to continue of with the current business.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I think a huge step in this process would be eliminating all of the trashy motels along north temple. They are a popular location for druggies and prostitutes and just look outright trashy. It kind of sucks though because they have to more or less leave willingly... Hopefully developers will be able to buy them out one day.
Luckily, the RDA has the power of eminent domain for the first five years of the North Temple Project Area--so until 2017.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:42 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Moved to north temple thread

Last edited by ajiuO; Mar 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 9:58 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Is UTA ever going to remove the temporary stanchion fences that they have in front of the trax by the ESA. They are being held down with sandbags and it looks really ghetto. They are now doing the same thing in front of CCC... It looks even worst there being in the middle of such a nice area.

If UTA feels the need to cater to all of the dumb asses around here... Can't they at least do something permanent like. 3' iron fence with nice designs or something? They don't seem to care at all how bad the sandbag crap looks

Sorry... Had to get that off my chest. It's been bothering me for a long time.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 11:05 PM
Development Junkie

Agreed. A nice wrought iron fence would be a much better solution.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 11:09 PM

It's a shame people are getting more stupid, more impatient, and less accountable for their own actions. Otherwise, we wouldn't even have to be talking about a fence. I mean, really. How hard is it not to cross where you're not supposed to?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 2:18 AM

That's a good question about the barriers at ESA. UTA finally, after years of stupidity, put up a permanent barrier at the Library. It worked wonders in stopping people from jumping the rails and running through traffic. For some reason, they only put it on one side. It seems senseless to me not to have something similar at ESA and now City Creek. On my very first visit to City Creek, it was obvious something was desperately needed. People were like deer on the highway waiting for a chance to jump across (they were about as smart about it as deer too). Seems to me like UTA could have easily predicted this.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 3:10 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
That's a good question about the barriers at ESA. UTA finally, after years of stupidity, put up a permanent barrier at the Library. It worked wonders in stopping people from jumping the rails and running through traffic. For some reason, they only put it on one side. It seems senseless to me not to have something similar at ESA and now City Creek. On my very first visit to City Creek, it was obvious something was desperately needed. People were like deer on the highway waiting for a chance to jump across (they were about as smart about it as deer too). Seems to me like UTA could have easily predicted this.
I think in the case of ESA it is probably only needed on one side.. I imagine it is people herding out of the ESA that cause the problem... CCC probably needs it on both sided.... Somthing decent looking though.... Not temp barriers and sand bags.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 3:13 AM

I walked through there today and noticed that they had put up yellow plastic barriers held down by sandbags. It kept people from crossing, but looked pretty cheap and crappy in the context of everything else in the area.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:30 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by esirhgih View Post
I walked through there today and noticed that they had put up yellow plastic barriers held down by sandbags. It kept people from crossing, but looked pretty cheap and crappy in the context of everything else in the area.
Yeah.. That's why I'm saying they need some nice rod iron fences or somthing... I think that would be better then concrete because you can see through it

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:39 AM

I realized after posting that you'd already said basically the same thing that I did. Something like this (from Seattle) would be nice all along Main Street. It would also help to keep cars off the tracks:

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:43 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by esirhgih View Post
I realized after posting that you'd already said basically the same thing that I did. Something like this (from Seattle) would be nice all along Main Street. It would also help to keep cars off the tracks:

Yeah... I could live with that... A hell of a lot nicer then what we have.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:04 AM

FrontRunner/Airport TRAX Line Transfer Station update.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
FrontRunner/Airport TRAX Line Transfer Station update.

So, it's going to look like the Salt Palace expansion?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 3:27 PM

still hoping Becker is successful in convincing the UTA to resurrect the old route of the University Line from DT to the University with no transfers. It's a real pain to have to transfer at the Courthouse and wait another 10 minutes just so you can travel a couple stops eastward. The addition of the new lines, and the resulting reconfiguration of the transfer stops, has acted like a punishment to those of us who actually live in the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West