HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

66 Rockwell Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 9:35 PM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
(downtown) brooklyn already has a great density, now all it needs is height, height and height!
Agreed, I wish the MetroTech tower was built (forgot the exact name)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 10:09 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I like how they're incorporating the area's red-brick heritage into the broader context of shiny glass. It's a positive development, if the glass is as shiny as the rendering has it - otherwise it will be uninspiring.

Quote:

38 STORIES Toren
This is something I love. We simply cannot get enough buildings with 8-bit videogame facades. More more more!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 5:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
This is something I love. We simply cannot get enough buildings with 8-bit videogame facades. More more more!
Here's a little more of that particular tower...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=171441

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 10:56 PM
BROOKLYN

I like the Toren even though it has been highly criticized.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
I like the Toren even though it has been highly criticized.
best building in Brooklyn IMO.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 11:18 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Watch out, Staten Island. In 2065, you're next. Apart from the glass orgy, what's all of this development doing on the ground? Is Downtown Brooklyn starting to feel like it does across the river? Is it replacing something that was there before, enhancing what was there before or responding to the area itself changing?

I have to admit it was strange the last time I was up there - it's starting to look like Jersey City.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 1:09 AM

I doubt that. Staten Island has not access to mass transit, has narrow streets, has only one bridge that would shut down during storms, has a ferry that could easily shut down, and no pedestrian/bike access. How can a place develop when it is basically isolated from the outside world of large buildings. Unless Staten Island has a large mass transit construction plan in the future I highly doubt that. The other two places I can see development like this in the next 10-20 years would be Queens, and the Bronx, and that is because they aren't isolated from the world of large buildings.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 1:29 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

That was in jest.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 2:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
Is Downtown Brooklyn starting to feel like it does across the river? Is it replacing something that was there before, enhancing what was there before or responding to the area itself changing?
Surrounded by the density that it is - with some of the City's "hottest" neighborhoods, change was bound to happen. But it also has a lot to do with the rezoning of the area about a decade or so ago. That rezoning was intended to push up more commercial towers, but residential development has been filling in the gap. Meanwhile, there has been some initiative by the City to "spruce up" the area. Keep in mind though, that the area has never been stagnant. Fulton Street, which is in the midst of a makover, has always been one of the top retail districts in the city. I'm not to happy about the Manhattan-style makeover there, but I'm sure it will remain just as lively.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 3:54 AM

All of this just makes me think the future Brooklyn would undergo Manhattanization. I think in the next 20 years Brooklyn would turn into something like Dubai. A playground for architects everywhere.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 11:25 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I doubt that. Staten Island has not access to mass transit, has narrow streets, has only one bridge that would shut down during storms, has a ferry that could easily shut down, and no pedestrian/bike access. How can a place develop when it is basically isolated from the outside world of large buildings. Unless Staten Island has a large mass transit construction plan in the future I highly doubt that. The other two places I can see development like this in the next 10-20 years would be Queens, and the Bronx, and that is because they aren't isolated from the world of large buildings.
It seems you don't know very much about Staten Island. First off, most of our streets are much less narrow than most streets in Manhattan. Also, we don't have a connection to the subway but we have our own rail line that closely resembles the subway and connects directly to the ferry, in addition to several local and commuter bus lines.

The ferry is more reliable than almost every other form of transit in the city, and is the most ridden commuter ferry in the world, not to mention the amount of tourists it attracts yearly. I'd be shocked if it ever shut down.

We have four bridges, but only one of them connects to another part of NYC (the other three connect with New Jersey), and I have never heard of the Verrazano Bridge, or any of them for that matter, shutting down during storms...and I've lived here for almost 20 years and grown up here.

As far as mass transit plans, the city currently has plans for a Select Bus Service line on Hylan Boulevard, a major avenue on the East Shore. In addition, our local politicians are campaigning for fast-ferry service to other parts of the island, to reactivate the abandoned North Shore rail line, and construct a West Shore line, which would effectively link more than 50% of the island to the ferry via rail.

And you'd be surprised how much semi-urban development is already on the table for the North Shore specifically. The Stapleton Home Port redevelopment is planned to bring something like 800 new units of housing to the waterfront and construction is supposed to begin next year. St. George (our downtown district) was recently rezoned to allow for taller buildings to be constructed, and the City Planning Dept is drafting a detailed plan on how to centralize and urbanize the North Shore as well as enhance waterfront access.

In fact, we might see some shorter high-rises sooner than 2065 haha, I mean St. George could serve as an excellent commuter neighborhood like Long Island City or Downtown Brooklyn. It is, after all, just a quick 25-minute ferry ride from Lower Manhatthan.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 4:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
It seems you don't know very much about Staten Island. First off, most of our streets are much less narrow than most streets in Manhattan. Also, we don't have a connection to the subway but we have our own rail line that closely resembles the subway and connects directly to the ferry, in addition to several local and commuter bus lines.
And don't forget Angelina! Take that Brooklyn...

http://realitytvmagazine.sheknows.co...ease-rap-song/

Seriously though, Staten Island has been the fastest growing borough, and probably still is. But the discussion here isn't really whether or not SI can support more development.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 11:07 PM

Walked by the site today and took a photo, not much going on.

BTW, while this tower will have a Flatbush address, it will actually rise at the corner of Fulton & Rockwell with only an entrance on Flatbush.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 1:58 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Seriously though, Staten Island has been the fastest growing borough, and probably still is. But the discussion here isn't really whether or not SI can support more development.
...oh Angie.

I know it isn't, I just have to come to the defense of my Island when necessary. Back to the matter at hand...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:17 AM

Looking south down Rockwell Place from the site you can see this residential "piggyback" from last year. So the area is prime for new residential given its proximity to BAM, Atlantic Terminal and Dekalb/DT Brooklyn Fulton St.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 2:23 PM

Couple pics from January 26, 2011

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 2:41 PM

View from Flatbush Ave. - Jan. 26, 2011

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 4:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Keep up the updates...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 4:03 PM

These pics are from yesterday 2/17

Corner of Rockwell Pl. and Fulton St.

Trucks lined up at lunch time on Fulton St.

This is a pic from this morning, taken from Flatbush Ave with the BAM Harvey Theater and 230 Ashland Pl. in the background.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 12:20 PM

Picture from this morning 2/19

This is from the opposite side, corner of Fulton and Rockwell. Here you can see how far down they've gotten.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive