HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 3:30 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Rurex...nice. I can think of a few places to check out. I bet Saskatchewan is a gold mine for such a hobby.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 11:08 AM
Making hell of a noise...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 11:37 AM

^^^has that sci-fi look...great photos from you all the time.A Singapore thread
with your photos would be epic!!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 11:47 AM

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 6:43 PM
dream fast

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 7:08 PM

Gatineau hills north of Ottawa.

Downtown Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 12:50 PM

SFOH - Great shot, love the lines. Toyota, what are you using for the day time long exposures? I've been somewhat successful stacking ND filters but using even two produces prismatic effects. I get hues of red or green throughout the photo. TMA, that hill shot is beautiful.

One I took recently while visiting the border town of Dandong, China. This was the view from my hotel room. Sinuiju, North Korea:

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 4:26 PM
Global Citizen

/\
Any plans to go to NK in the future?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 9:10 PM

@okayyou.....using the B+W 10stop filter (screwin) which is handy for a zoom lens.Has a warm colour cast but it can easily be cooled while editing white balance or auto levels seems to do the trick also.I havent tried to set different white balance settings with the filter on..something I must tryout.Also using a circ.polarizer which gets me some more stops but its not great for holding back the sky so a grad ~nd filter is needed and which I dont have.
Google or look up Joel Tjintjelaar on flicker...plenty of info off him/website and he's unreal at long exposures.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
/\
Any plans to go to NK in the future?
Right now I am planning on it. I have my multiple entry Chinese visa which is required if you want to visit NK. The mass games are in August so I would like to visit then. I need to book a tour but have pretty much done all the research I need. A little worried about trying to bring my camera equipment and laptop in and claim I am not a journalist.

Toyota, thanks for the info. I have two 3 stop ND filters, so even when I stack them I can't get the 10 stops you have. Might have to look into buying the 10 stop.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 1:28 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Two nice shots I took last weekend at the Columbus Zoo while on a patented ColDayMan quick-tour!

Aaron (Glowrock)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Munching on some tasty greens!

Contemplating the future: (Please excuse the slight reflection, as my polarizer couldn't quite eliminate it!)

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Two nice shots I took last weekend at the Columbus Zoo while on a patented ColDayMan quick-tour!

Aaron (Glowrock)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Munching on some tasty greens!

Contemplating the future: (Please excuse the slight reflection, as my polarizer couldn't quite eliminate it!)

Love the gorilla. I've found a successful technique to minimize glare when shooting through glass. Shooting nearly straight on seems to produce the most reflections that are at a difficult angle to block. By shooting at a slight angle through the glass and putting your hand on the reflective side of the glass to block the reflected light, nearly all the reflections can be stopped. Ideally your hand will be just over the lens. Not sure if that is very clear. It also helps to open the aperture as wide as it will go. This helps the camera from picking up dirt or smudges on the glass.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 2:55 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

I'll admit, it was hard to get that gorilla photo, mainly because there were so many people right next to the glass, Okayyou... I didn't have too many options as far as what angle to take that photo. Concerning the aperture, I was using my 17-50mm f2.8 fully open, so it was at f2.8. My polarizer certainly helped, but just not fully.

But yeah, shooting at a slight angle definitely does help, and it did for a number of other shots I took at the Columbus Zoo last weekend!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 5:07 AM
dream fast

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 10:44 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Idaho City, historic gold rush cemetery. Nearly 3000 buried here & 300 identified.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 12:40 AM
Global Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
A little worried about trying to bring my camera equipment and laptop in and claim I am not a journalist.
I know quite a few people who went to NK and none of them had any problems bringing a DSLR and a laptop into the country. So unless you have a giant 500mm lens you shouldn't have any problems.

However, it occasionally occurs that customs search your notebook, look for 'sensitive' photos you have taken and delete them. So it might be a wise idea to hide such photos. One of the people I know who went there packed them into a zipfile, renamed the file something like winsys32.ini and put it into the Windows folder.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 12:49 AM

Mennonite farm outside Kutztown, pa

Clearwater sunset

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
I know quite a few people who went to NK and none of them had any problems bringing a DSLR and a laptop into the country. So unless you have a giant 500mm lens you shouldn't have any problems.

However, it occasionally occurs that customs search your notebook, look for 'sensitive' photos you have taken and delete them. So it might be a wise idea to hide such photos. One of the people I know who went there packed them into a zipfile, renamed the file something like winsys32.ini and put it into the Windows folder.
I have my 70-200 and a 1.4x extender. I read online that people have gone without issue with a 300mm. I got harassed in Cuba when I showed up. I always have two bags, one for my clothes and the other is almost entirely camera gear. I'd be bringing 4 lenses and my laptop, but maybe I could leave some things in a locker in Beijing before I leave.

I also read that if you depart by plane, they usually don't search your photos. I read that happens often to people leaving by train. Good idea about the zip file. I will probably try something like that if I have any shots I don't want deleted.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 12:16 AM
Ex Houstonian

Toyota man, you are really banging out some awesome photos lately, love your work.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 4:48 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Nice photos everyone, makes me want to go out and shoot. I've driven close to 1,800 miles in the past two weekends and through 5 states and haven't been able to take any photos. SMH.

Anyways, CubicalRebel, that beach shot is awesome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography