HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 3:56 AM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
What happen to all the homeless people?!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...people-missing
I'm thinking the theory that the homeless have just dispersed to other neighborhoods is most likely correct. Seems obvious actually. I hardly ever see homeless people in my neighborhood east of downtown but recently have seen them on a pretty regular basis. Not an overwhelming amount but noticeably more than usual.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 1:41 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

What's wrong with that building is the absurdity of the mass and height of the pediment or whatever you want to call the blob at the top that throws the balance of the building entirely off.

If it looked something like this it would be a boring but reasonable background building.

Comparison to the original:

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
What's wrong with that building is the absurdity of the mass and height of the pediment or whatever you want to call the blob at the top that throws the balance of the building entirely off.

If it looked something like this it would be a boring but reasonable background building.

Comparison to the original:

Not marquis worthy. Or even blob, true.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 4:04 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflatflat9 View Post
This is hideous, and belongs in a Suburb. Another embarrassment by SLC.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflatflat9 View Post
It interacts with the street pretty well. If the materials used could be improved, it would actually be pretty good.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 4:09 PM

^^^
You have a good eye, and hit the nail right on the head. For me personally, this would be my dream redo in the future, when I want to have the opportunity to do my own development/redevelopment in SLC. For now, the cookie cutter national blah of these TownePlace brands will have to do. In the future though I would dive at the chance to make a few exterior treatment alterations and change this small sized bland chain hotel into a toney boutique property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
It interacts with the street pretty well. If the materials used could be improved, it would actually be pretty good.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
^^^
You have a good eye, and hit the nail right on the head. For me personally, this would be my dream redo in the future, when I want to have the opportunity to do my own development/redevelopment in SLC. For now, the cookie cutter national blah of these TownePlace brands will have to do. In the future though I would dive at the chance to make a few exterior treatment alterations and change this small sized bland chain hotel into a toney boutique property.
TownePlace suites aren't really designed to be that nice, certainly not boutiques. They are the downmarket version of a Residence Inn, sort of the bottom rung of Marriott's extended stay offerings.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 6:04 PM

Its footprint is so small that it's like, I don't even really care.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 7:46 PM

vivint

The America First Atrium makes me laugh

what's next the Gillette razors men's room

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 8:19 PM

New life for the Baja Cantina / Inferno Cantina / The Office

SLC’S NEWEST JAZZ CLUB, AVANT GROOVE OPENS UP ON PIERPONT

https://catalystmagazine.net/slcs-ne...pens-pierpont/
http://www.avantgroove.com/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 8:34 PM

Edit: Maybe in my original comment of redoing this blah hotel in the future, I should have placed the word "redo" in bold size 5 lettering. No one is questioning whether it's designed as a lower end and not a boutique hotel in its current state. Sometimes we actually need to read the comments and not just skim over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
TownePlace suites aren't really designed to be that nice, certainly not boutiques. They are the downmarket version of a Residence Inn, sort of the bottom rung of Marriott's extended stay offerings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
from http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi
It's clearly at the bottom end of Marriott's extended stay line up.

Classic Longer Stays

Marriott Executive Apartments
Simplify foreign postings with 5-star, fully-equipped apartments that allow executive expats to assimilate faster.

Residence Inn®
The world’s extended stay leader helps guests live better on long stays: upscale, social, local.

TownePlace Suites
An extended stay hotel offering cleverly designed suites, allowing guests to stay productive and upbeat.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 25, 2017 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
I'll just call that your opinion. It's not mine.
from http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi
It's clearly at the bottom end of Marriott's extended stay line up.

Classic Longer Stays

Marriott Executive Apartments
Simplify foreign postings with 5-star, fully-equipped apartments that allow executive expats to assimilate faster.

Residence Inn®
The world’s extended stay leader helps guests live better on long stays: upscale, social, local.

TownePlace Suites
An extended stay hotel offering cleverly designed suites, allowing guests to stay productive and upbeat.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 10:44 PM

Being a jazz music lover, I hope the Avant Groove is able to keep a large enough clientel to continue to operate. There have been a few attempts here in SLC to have a 24/7 jazz club, but most didn't last more than a year. The place looks good, and has a good location. Maybe Gordon Hanks of the GAM foundation could collaborate with owner John Vecchi, to keep the non-local music talent flowing. I mean, there's good local talent, but only so much. Yeah, can't wait to go check the place out.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 10:55 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
I'm thinking the theory that the homeless have just dispersed to other neighborhoods is most likely correct. Seems obvious actually. I hardly ever see homeless people in my neighborhood east of downtown but recently have seen them on a pretty regular basis. Not an overwhelming amount but noticeably more than usual.
Good. I’m glad they are spreading out. I would rather have a few of them here and there then a huge group of them in one area.... now every neighborhood can have their fair share of the problem. There is no reason that Downtown Salt Lake should have to bare the full burden of the counties homeless problem. I’m glad the City is chasing a bunch of them away... and to all the neighborhoods crying about it, a big boo hoo to you. There is nothing they can do about it. Downtown doesn’t have to sit here and take all the problem and I’m glad we’re not going to any more... so other areas can just learn to deal with it, just like we have been for the past 30 years... at least it won’t be a concentrated problem.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 11:40 PM

Is everyone sure that they're not just leaving the Wasatch Front entirely. I could see a lot of homeless heading for warmer and more lax areas like L.A., especially now that Winter is approaching. If Salt Lake City is going to get serious about cracking down, why not just move to California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Good. I’m glad they are spreading out. I would rather have a few of them here and there then a huge group of them in one area.... now every neighborhood can have their fair share of the problem. There is no reason that Downtown Salt Lake should have to bare the full burden of the counties homeless problem. I’m glad the City is chasing a bunch of them away... and to all the neighborhoods crying about it, a big boo hoo to you. There is nothing they can do about it. Downtown doesn’t have to sit here and take all the problem and I’m glad we’re not going to any more... so other areas can just learn to deal with it, just like we have been for the past 30 years... at least it won’t be a concentrated problem.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 12:09 AM
Engineer

I don't mind seeing a few more homeless in my neighborhood but I am concerned that outsourcing the problem to neighborhoods without services will cause a new crisis in the not so distant future. I was hoping an operation like the one in Rio Grande could have waited until after the other homeless centers opened up, but I suppose the recent crime wave caused a lot of unrest among decision makers and their hand was forced.

Quote:
Is everyone sure that they're not just leaving the Wasatch Front entirely. I could see a lot of homeless heading for warmer and more lax areas like L.A., especially now that Winter is approaching. If Salt Lake City is going to get serious about cracking down, why not just move to California?
There's always an outflow of homeless in the winter. It's difficult to say whether this operation will cause more people than usual to leave. I'm guessing the vast majority fled to other areas of Salt Lake, but clearly, as the article Scottk shared demonstrates, nobody knows for sure at the moment.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 12:14 AM
Engineer

In other news, the clock tower at the Gateway has officially been converted to a giant 4-sided screen. Looks kind of weird but I much prefer it to the tacky clock tower. I don't know why they put yet another clock on the newest building at the Gateway, which was built like 7ish years ago. It looks really bad.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 3:38 AM

Does anybody on this thread know what is going on with the Regent Hotel.
Are they in the permitting stage now, and is the Hotel still even going to be built? I havent heard anything lately, I know they were supposed to start
construction this fall?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Are they in the permitting stage now, and is the Hotel still even going to be built? I havent heard anything lately, I know they were supposed to start
construction this fall?
I think the last we've heard of it was that the Felt Building was for sale, which was going to be part of the hotel in the modified plans. Other than that, it's been pretty quiet.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 10:27 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
construction this fall?
I’m about 90% sure that project isn’t happening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West