HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 2:15 AM

Sweet Shot of New Orleans

Pretty Southern City...Courtesy of m.schramm of flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lf8r/

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 12:24 AM
Baltimore

Great shot.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 4:11 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

It's still amazing that that city had only 1.3 million metro (pre-Katrina) and had a skyline like THAT.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 3:14 AM
And so it goes...

A great and new perspective that makes the skyline look B-I-G and makes me want to head back ASAP. I can almost taste the beignets.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
It's still amazing that that city had only 1.3 million metro (pre-Katrina) and had a skyline like THAT.
We're around 1.3 million now?!? We were around 1.4 million before the storm. It's interesting how people don't realize how many are back. I'm in Scotland on vacation right now and someone asked me where I was from and I said, "New Orleans," and he asked me if it was still there?!? I just said..."It's still there, don't worry about that." The media has REALLY misled people about recovery, IMO.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:37 PM
Wrong Wood

1.3 before Katrina? I would have figured more to be honest...perhaps NO is a very dense area?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 2:41 AM
Babylon falling

So is that original shot pretty much the best angle for the NO skyline? It is the best I've ever seen.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
So is that original shot pretty much the best angle for the NO skyline? It is the best I've ever seen.
There is a pretty good angle from Uptown that I've seen. I think the best angle may change in the next few years when the 840'+ Trump Tower is completed on Poydras St. Construction starts on that in September and I know where they are putting it and it is in the Center of the City, but, it will change things, for sure, IMO....

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 12:08 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Impressive view of the skyline for sure. Thanks for sharing your find alon.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 2:15 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
NO has very little suburban sprawl compared to the average US city. It is pretty much surrounded by swamp land or water so it has to be dense.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
NO has very little suburban sprawl compared to the average US city. It is pretty much surrounded by swamp land or water so it has to be dense.
You could consider the suburban "Northshore," (St. Tammany Parish) which is home to around 275,000, but, the entire parish is pretty planned so there really isn't too much sprawl, but, I would guess it would be the closest thing to sprawl in Metro New Orleans. http://www.neworleansnorthshore.com/ The Southshore is definitely urban and dense from one end to the other.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 5:18 AM
Babylon falling

Hey alon is there anyway you could post a pic of that uptown angle you are referring to I would love to see it? Thanks, just want to compare it to the angle I mentioned

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 2:54 PM

Here is the uptown shot you requested mello. This was taken from a parking garage at Tulane University. It looks like Alon's picture as taken at the Fairgrounds Race Track grandstand over by Bayou St. John.

Last edited by SlidellWx; Jul 25, 2007 at 3:06 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 7:18 PM
Babylon falling

Thanks a lot! It looks like one of the talls is blocked in this angle though?? I only see the one tall box, not the other that is visible in alon's photo.

This angle is good but I like the one from the fairgrounds because you can really take in the scope and size of the NO skyline.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 4:21 AM

Here is another view, mello, from the Mississippi River side, which shows different buildings from another angle--many which are not seen in the previous pics (courtesy of www.brucemays.com ( http://www.brucemays.com/skyline.jpg ) :

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 6:51 AM
Babylon falling

Very interesting thanks, the NO skyline is kind of multi faceted. Hmm I can't put my finger on it. It is kind of strange/unique in its look. It does need a bit of color or some more new edgey looking buildings.

It does have a good mix of office and hotel towers though. Yeah I noticed that shot from the river shows off the hotel buildings more. How much Class A office space does downtown New Orleans have??

Thanks again guys

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 10:34 AM

Class A space post-Katrina is 9.3 million square feet. One tower that has486,692 feet of rentable space is still closed due to insurance issues. It is not counted in the current space. All of the other Class A and Class B towers have reopened in the Central Business District. There is also 2 million square feet of Class A space in suburban Metairie about 7 miles from the CBD. Current occupancy rates in the CBD for Class A space are at 89% while Metarie has occupancy rates of 90% as of the first quarter of 07 according to this site...http://www.buildingteamforecast.com/...dustryid=43721

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 8:03 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Those are all great shots of NO. I really like how the first one shows the skyline at its broadest, without creating too many gaps in the buildings. It's a nice balance of showing both density and breadth. It's a great town, one of my favorites, and I'm glad that it's coming back strong.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Those are all great shots of NO. I really like how the first one shows the skyline at its broadest, without creating too many gaps in the buildings. It's a nice balance of showing both density and breadth. It's a great town, one of my favorites, and I'm glad that it's coming back strong.
There aren't too many gaps. New Orleans really does have a pretty solid skyline. The pic tells the truth. And we are a VERY dense city. And it is filling up pretty quickly now with recovery.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 4:50 PM
Austinite

Great shot!!! One of the best angles I've seen.. its a similar perspective to the skyline approaching the city from I-10 east, coming over the crest of the "High-Rise" (bridge over the industrial canal). IMO... the best angle of downtown is from the Crescent City Connection bridge over the Mississippi (eastbank-bound). I LOVE that angle.

And for a more interesting view... check out the skyline from west along the I-10 span of the Bonnet Carré Spillway (approx 15 miles W of the CBD), and from the Lake Pontartrain causeway approaching the southshore.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos