Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
What in the world is the rush? There a ton of work still to be done, the hotel won't be open until 2019. I feel like we often spend years talking about these Projects and then as soon as they are completed the threads are closed so swiftly there is not even enough time for people to discuss the end result.

Not even the exterior is entirely complete including import features such as all the lighting in the spire.

Cool your jets.
Why do I need to cool my jets? I’m not asking for threads to be rushed for completion. I’m simply asking a question.

Last edited by Raymond LuxuryYacht; Aug 19, 2018 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Edit

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbortedWalrus View Post
All of the interiors?
I don’t consider interiors part of the construction process for the purposes of these threads, but that’s just me. No need to be snarky.

Last edited by Raymond LuxuryYacht; Aug 19, 2018 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Edit

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Imagine a building in Detroit having a “City of Brotherly Love” tag prominently displayed. I suppose this is what happens when giant corporations try to embrace street art...I’m sure this touch of “authenticity” will really boost recruitment for them
Motown gaffe notwithstanding, I think my favorite portion of the Comcast graffiti wall is definitely the "Comcast!" written towards the top right.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 12:55 PM

Right, they should've used The Sound of Philadelphia-TSOP logo.

I like the other artwork I've seen thus far though-- hey, at least the place has artwork-- I've been in plenty of corporate offices will zero on the walls, might as well be prisons.

Anyways...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmlcQodB...=phillyseaport

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmoekgHB...illydroneshots

https://www.instagram.com/photolope/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmmRJVbh...awesometravels

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 4:45 PM

[QUOTE=TallCoolOne;8286110]Right, they should've used The Sound of Philadelphia-TSOP logo.

Anyways...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmlcQodB...=phillyseaport

That is a great shot . Thanks for sharing .

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:28 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
I heard that this building will be deconstructed due to an individual that posted that it was "ugly".

I hope you’re happy with yourself.

Personally, I love this building.
This is a massive project, and I like the design and it's looming form.....but the blocky spire feels like a very awkward ending to the building at the top. It makes me look right at the other tower with simple geometry nearby....and it just doesn't flow well. That's just my view of it...but I do appreciate how the tower was designed and cladded. (Actually...the spire isn't a bad idea for the project, but it just looks like a gimmick more than a part of the building. I wouldn't necessarily consider this a supertall IMO)

(Huh....I thought this was entirely office space for this project. Well, this project is pretty dynamic it seems)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 5:02 AM

That's a very cool new view of the city with the seaport in the foreground. Lots of green in our little country towne.

I don't know if it means anything, but the aircraft warning light on the top of the CTC spire is now red, not a white strobe.

Personally, I'm hoping that they are reconfiguring the lighting in the spire, dial the brightness down from the 11 they were running it at to about 5.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
the spire isn't a bad idea for the project, but it just looks like a gimmick more than a part of the building.
Funny, of all the criticisms of this building this one may be the most bizarre. If you look at the base of the building on the west face you’ll see that the ‘spire’ is actually rooted at ground level & travels the entire height of the building from the street up the spine & ends at the tip of the lantern, I’m not sure how much more a ‘part of the building’ a spire could possibly be, its continuity literally stretches the entire 1121 feet

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 12:15 PM

I assume the "Motown" was taken from the Boys II Men song Motownphilly, but yeah, that doesn't look good

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 1:39 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
I assume the "Motown" was taken from the Boys II Men song Motownphilly, but yeah, that doesn't look good
But keep in mind Comcast is not just a local company. They're national and, through their Universal Studios, international. So it just makes sense that their headquarters art pieces should reflect the world beyond Philadelphia.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
I don't know if it means anything, but the aircraft warning light on the top of the CTC spire is now red, not a white strobe.
It alternates white in the day, red at night.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
But keep in mind Comcast is not just a local company. They're national and, through their Universal Studios, international. So it just makes sense that their headquarters art pieces should reflect the world beyond Philadelphia.
That's not what they're doing though. They have a much larger presence in NYC than Detroit and yet it doesn't say "The Big Apple" on the wall. The wall is clearly nothing but Philly references.

As Boku and I pointed out, it is definitely a BoyzIIMen reference. But they're unfortunately oblivious that the song was referencing two styles of music that influenced them, Detroit's Motown and Philly Soul. Motown Philly is describing their own unique style, not calling Philly "Motown" or acting like Motown is a nickname for Philly.

So if they wanted to reference BIIM they could have written "Motown Phily." Or they could have referenced the Philly part of their influence and written "Philly Soul" or "The sound of Philadelphia" or "Philadelphia International Records" etc. Writing Motown on a wall about Philadelphia is just profoundly stupid and makes it clear that artist or whoever commissioned the work is clueless about this aspect of Philly.

As others pointed out, it's a single wall inside a giant building, so it really is irrelevant. But it's also really lame and it's fair to comment on that.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:21 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Funny, of all the criticisms of this building this one may be the most bizarre. If you look at the base of the building on the west face you’ll see that the ‘spire’ is actually rooted at ground level & travels the entire height of the building from the street up the spine & ends at the tip of the lantern, I’m not sure how much more a ‘part of the building’ a spire could possibly be, its continuity literally stretches the entire 1121 feet
Oh I know, it just doesn't look very unified in building typology.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
This is a massive project, and I like the design and it's looming form.....but the blocky spire feels like a very awkward ending to the building at the top. It makes me look right at the other tower with simple geometry nearby....and it just doesn't flow well. That's just my view of it...but I do appreciate how the tower was designed and cladded. (Actually...the spire isn't a bad idea for the project, but it just looks like a gimmick more than a part of the building. I wouldn't necessarily consider this a supertall IMO)

(Huh....I thought this was entirely office space for this project. Well, this project is pretty dynamic it seems)
I couldn't disagree more regarding the spire. I really don't care if you want to count it toward the height of the building or whether or not it is a supertall. That stuff is entirely irrelevant to me. But I've seen few examples of a spire being more crucial to the design of a building than this one. The definitive view of the building and the best view is definitely the west facing facade which prominently features the spire along the entire length of the building. Without the spire, this is a clearly inferior building.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:30 PM

I know complaining about the spire is a futile argument, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I think the building overall is great - especially east-west views. The width is a bit much north-south but there are understandable reasons for that and I'm happy to have the building and a spire (as opposed to a flat roof - no offense to other cities like Boston, but I'm just not a fan of flat roofs as the climax of a skyline) back atop the skyline.

That said, I think if the spire came to a point at the top - ideally, slanting west instead of centered - it would look much better look north-south. This would create a focal point that would give a greater accent to the building overall.

Also, I wish they had textured the horizontal lines through the hotel portion the way they did for the Comcast section so that it was consistent throughout. O well. Still a great addition to the skyline. Can't wait for the lights to be fully operations.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 5:47 PM
Midrise

Thumbs up

Quote:
That's not what they're doing though. They have a much larger presence in NYC than Detroit and yet it doesn't say "The Big Apple" on the wall. The wall is clearly nothing but Philly references.

As Boku and I pointed out, it is definitely a BoyzIIMen reference. But they're unfortunately oblivious that the song was referencing two styles of music that influenced them, Detroit's Motown and Philly Soul. Motown Philly is describing their own unique style, not calling Philly "Motown" or acting like Motown is a nickname for Philly.

So if they wanted to reference BIIM they could have written "Motown Phily." Or they could have referenced the Philly part of their influence and written "Philly Soul" or "The sound of Philadelphia" or "Philadelphia International Records" etc. Writing Motown on a wall about Philadelphia is just profoundly stupid and makes it clear that artist or whoever commissioned the work is clueless about this aspect of Philly.

As others pointed out, it's a single wall inside a giant building, so it really is irrelevant. But it's also really lame and it's fair to comment on that.
Ah, I see what you're saying now. I guess we'd have to ask the artist what he/she was thinking.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 7:25 PM

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:56 PM

Since everyone seems to hate the inside...

We'll do an outside shot today.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:09 PM
build awesome buildings

^Haha, the inside shots have been great! My only beef is the big ol’ Motown, but overall the interiors have looked fantastic. Your updates have been very much appreciated.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more regarding the spire. I really don't care if you want to count it toward the height of the building or whether or not it is a supertall. That stuff is entirely irrelevant to me. But I've seen few examples of a spire being more crucial to the design of a building than this one. The definitive view of the building and the best view is definitely the west facing facade which prominently features the spire along the entire length of the building. Without the spire, this is a clearly inferior building.
^^^^Well said. For me, one of the surprising aspects of this big boy is how it changes depending on where one views it from. Comcast I and the City's other tall guys are pretty much the same regardless of where you see them, which makes sense since they're mostly a square building. But viewing the CITC from one direction gives a really different impression then from a view from a few compass points away. But it's spire remains the same.

BTW, alittle more then 4 1/2 years since this was first announced; it's been a fun trip. (and still not finished!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture