HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
From what I understood, each building will be designed by a different firm, but will all follow similar guidelines, and will be built in phases. So the whole thing won't be built at once, rather in smaller chunks... I think the info is online somewhere, I'll try to find it...
I believe this hasn't changed much from when It was discussed in council in 2014..

Quote:
The Forks Renewal Corporation is proposing that these mixed-use commercial development opportunities be phased and made available to private or non-profit development consortiums through competitive, fair, and transparent proposal calls. This development would be self-sustaining, generating land revenue and TIF revenue to support the capital required for the various public amenities/infrastructure on the remaining lands, including significant parks and public spaces, promenades, access, and visitor parking structures.
Scroll down (PDF) to Forks ..#4 - Page 9 http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/viewdoc.asp?docid=13745

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 6:39 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
I believe this hasn't changed much from when It was discussed in council in 2014..

Scroll down (PDF) to Forks ..#4 - Page 9 http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/viewdoc.asp?docid=13745
Looking at that PDF... Does anyone remember the sale price that Katz proposed for the infamous water park proposal?

This has the City selling to FNP for $6Mil. Is that in line with what was proposed back for the water park?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
This has the City selling to FNP for $6Mil. Is that in line with what was proposed back for the water park?
Quote:
Elmwood-East Kildonan Coun. Thomas Steen said today he’s leaning in favour of voting for a plan to sell Parcel Four, a city-owned surface lot at the southwest corner of Waterfront Drive and William Stephenson Way, for $6 million to Alberta hotel chain Canalta, which itends to build a 250-room hotel, 50,000-square-foot water park and 450-stall parkade on the site. The proposal calls for the city to offer Canalta a $7-million grant in exchange for $700,000 worth of admission credits every year for the next 25 years.
http://www.canadianswinnipeg.org/app...ate-water-park

Actually more public money, with some added incentives..

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 7:25 PM

This article shows some of the things they're like to do
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/m...ears-1.3200192

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 3:57 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
I really enjoyed your vision of what Parcel 4 + Rail Side may look like in the future..(added it here)...
that does look pretty awesome, but the plan is now a larger collection of 6 storey maximum buildings on pedestrian streets and courtyards.

the ideas are here:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...kage_12x18.pdf

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 2:12 PM
Ignore these four words.

Here's the link to the actual document. Quite a good read and lots of illustrations:

http://s3.documentcloud.org/document...al-package.pdf

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
that does look pretty awesome, but the plan is now a larger collection of 6 storey maximum buildings on pedestrian streets and courtyards.

the ideas are here:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...kage_12x18.pdf
Just had a chance to go over the new PDF. Actually, I have no real problem with the 6F max. you speak of. The concept has evolved dramatically from the initial PDF they released last year (in OP). They may not be the larger developments we were thinking about last year but the concept is fine for the Forks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
Here's the link to the actual document. Quite a good read and lots of illustrations:

http://s3.documentcloud.org/document...al-package.pdf
Thanks. Added new links to the OP for reference.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 5:30 PM
BANNED

Absolutely delightful; this is precisely what is needed for this area.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 8:27 PM

Wouldn't it be cool if Seasons of Tuxedo gave up on their outlet mall plans and just put all their tenants in the main/second floors of a bunch of these buildings at The Forks...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 10:22 PM
BANNED

It would be nice to see buildings akin to these line Provencher.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 6:41 AM

Any news about parcel 4 I have not found anything.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if Seasons of Tuxedo gave up on their outlet mall plans and just put all their tenants in the main/second floors of a bunch of these buildings at The Forks...
yes always amazed when I come to Wpg that there are some amazing stores out in places like that (IKEA I understand of course) that would have a big impact on downtown, like MEC... I know there are various people on this board who would say that no one would ever go and this is out of touch with reality, etc. etc. Anyway, I would and do.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 3:56 PM

Anyone even dreaming an outlet mall would go to The Forks, the Bay on Portage, or anywhere downtown, not just in Winnipeg but any city, has lost a firm grip on reality. In every city the outlet malls are always sprawling single story complexes on the fringes of the city. The location at Seasons of Tuxedo is actually very urban for an outlet mall.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 9:25 AM

Stickhandling Forks Market reno
Firm seeks items for unique sculptures

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...369924071.html

This article covers part of a $2.5M Reno at the Forks Market I wasn't aware of.
It seems like a large some of money for tables and chairs. What am I missing for other renovations taking place?

We also forget with all the other development occurring in the core area, this development is still in the works and and is another game changer for Winnipeg. Any word on how plans are progressing?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Stickhandling Forks Market reno
Firm seeks items for unique sculptures

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...369924071.html

This article covers part of a $2.5M Reno at the Forks Market I wasn't aware of.
It seems like a large some of money for tables and chairs. What am I missing for other renovations taking place?

We also forget with all the other development occurring in the core area, this development is still in the works and and is another game changer for Winnipeg. Any word on how plans are progressing?
It's not just tables and chairs. It's the entire Market. All the teal will be gone (on the inside), amazing new lighting, a bar at centre court, all the kiosks are being renovated. You'll be able to walk around entire main floor (except for the restaurants) with a beer or wine in your hand.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:31 PM

"What am I missing for other renovations taking place?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
All the teal will be gone (on the inside), amazing new lighting, a bar at centre court, all the kiosks are being renovated. You'll be able to walk around entire main floor (except for the restaurants) with a beer or wine in your hand.
This is what I was curious about. I remember hearing about it, but not the extent of the other remodeling/renovation taking place. What is the timetable?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:53 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about liquor sales in the market. You have families taking their children for a skate, next to a bunch of 20 somethings hammering back beers. Seems a bit odd. The Forks isn't Las Vegas. Intriguing concept though.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:09 PM

^ The family side of the equation + alcohol flowing freely is a might bit puzzling?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:13 PM

Quote:
^ The family side of the equation + alcohol flowing freely is a might bit puzzling?
When the kids are going bonkers I will be grateful for the ability to buy a double rye and ginger to carry around....

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:21 PM

^haha very true Esquire.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan