HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 12:47 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 3:39 PM

There's an area fenced off on Clarence/Melville st in front of Kal Tire. Anyone know whats the plan for that? looks like spot for a potential restaurant to me

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
There's an area fenced off on Clarence/Melville st in front of Kal Tire. Anyone know whats the plan for that? looks like spot for a potential restaurant to me
I wouldn't swear to it, but I'd heard that it was going to be a Taco Bell going in there.

As for the development on the old Farnham block site, I have a couple of comments. A full parkade was the preferred option, however the cost of such a small parkade drove the overall development costs too high. As for a lower level such as was in the original Farnham block, beyond the accessibility challenges, there is the fact that neither lower level retail nor upper level retail will earn rental rates on par with main floor retail. Being able to walk right in off the sidewalk makes all the difference.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 11:00 PM

I have a source saying that they have seen official documents stating that there will be a Zara on the second level of the mall, and the reason why they haven’t announced who the new tenants are is because H&M hasn’t given the go ahead to go into the mall yet - they want to announce everything together! H&M has had some significant financial issues over the past year - so I’m guessing they’re looking at what Regina’s sales are for a full year before they confirm another store in SK. Zara typically likes to do two level stores so maybe they will take over an entire corner of the Sears building with a mini escalator going both up and down.. they are the most affordable and fashionable brand out there at the moment. I personally use their online store a ton and do large purchases in Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver when I’m there for work. Very exciting - especially if I can at least still order everything online and do returns on things that don’t fit there.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 5:07 PM

There's a glass pane installed on the old Police building on 4th Ave. Unclear if they're just testing out the choice of glazing or if other panes will soon follow.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I have a source saying that they have seen official documents stating that there will be a Zara on the second level of the mall, and the reason why they haven’t announced who the new tenants are is because H&M hasn’t given the go ahead to go into the mall yet - they want to announce everything together! H&M has had some significant financial issues over the past year - so I’m guessing they’re looking at what Regina’s sales are for a full year before they confirm another store in SK. Zara typically likes to do two level stores so maybe they will take over an entire corner of the Sears building with a mini escalator going both up and down.. they are the most affordable and fashionable brand out there at the moment. I personally use their online store a ton and do large purchases in Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver when I’m there for work. Very exciting - especially if I can at least still order everything online and do returns on things that don’t fit there.
Zara still doesn’t have a store in Winnipeg. I find it hard to believe Zara would open in Saskatoon before Winnipeg. My friend works for Inditex Group which owns Zara and every time I ask about when Zara will expand to Saskatchewan, the answer is always not anytime soon.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Zara still doesn’t have a store in Winnipeg. I find it hard to believe Zara would open in Saskatoon before Winnipeg. My friend works for Inditex Group which owns Zara and every time I ask about when Zara will expand to Saskatchewan, the answer is always not anytime soon.
Hey Winnipeg still doesn't have a Cactus Club. Saskatoon is fetch

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Hey Winnipeg still doesn't have a Cactus Club. Saskatoon is fetch
Sorry Saskatoon. “Not this year or the next.” says my Inditex friend.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 6:12 PM

After reading the Sheaf and with the Gordon Oaks Red Bear Aboriginal student centre open on U of S campus and the new underground link from Arts building to Health Science building, I was wondering if there is any new links between buildings I have missed. I marked a map illustrating all the publicly accessible underground and over ground indoor links that connect the buildings on campus that I know of.
Let me know if I'm missing any indoor links between buildings that I may have missed.

http://thesheaf.com/2017/09/24/sheaf...ople-among-us/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
After reading the Sheaf and with the Gordon Oaks Red Bear Aboriginal student centre open on U of S campus and the new underground link from Arts building to Health Science building, I was wondering if there is any new links between buildings I have missed. I marked a map illustrating all the publicly accessible underground and over ground indoor links that connect the buildings on campus that I know of.
Let me know if I'm missing any indoor links between buildings that I may have missed.

http://thesheaf.com/2017/09/24/sheaf...ople-among-us/

You are missing the tunnel between Sask Hall and the Administration Building as well as the tunnel between the Physics and the Administration Buildings. There is also a short skywalk between the Engineering and Archeology Buildings.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 7:12 PM

As well as from Ag to Kirk Hall.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 12:37 AM

aren't these the same guys that proposed the neighborhood in north downtown

https://www.ckom.com/2018/08/14/sola...y-councillors/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:19 PM

You bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
aren't these the same guys that proposed the neighborhood in north downtown

https://www.ckom.com/2018/08/14/sola...y-councillors/
Yes, Arbutus Properties. The same ones who now have Murray Totland as a salaried employee. https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ndustrial-area

I am skeptical as to how much they will align with what the city wants to develop in that area. But when someone is coming in ready to develop there is a bit of give and take. Ex: First thing to go was the land bridge over the old tracks.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:36 PM

and what about that "sustainable" community that was in the news about a year ago(?) I believe towards Waneskewin area?? Where has that gone? Great ideas, but are they really more then great ideas??

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 6:16 PM

Progress on old police station at August 18, 2018:

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 6:24 PM

RiverQuarry is looking great! My condo is only a few blocks away and i’m Kind of hoping maybe a restaurant or coffee joint opens up on the main floor. That Tim Hortons is always packed.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunk View Post
Progress on old police station at August 18, 2018:
Has anyone heard of any tenants secured for that building?

Seems like it would be a tough time to be looking to lease downtown office space, given that there will be a ton of space created by the River Landing towers and space coming available in other buildings (like Saskatoon Square) where they have tenants leaving to move into River Landing.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:48 PM

The added 4th floor on River Quarry seems to really improve the building's proportional relationship with the street.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 7:12 PM

When you go to the River Quarry website there is a nice arial video of the area. If that tower they talk about gets built it will really make river quarry fit in nicely between the 2 towers.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Don't forget that Saskatchewan has had a much higher disposable income per capita than MB for many years now. The old assumptions no longer apply.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan