HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
I walked along Barrington today and noticed that the North Face store in the old Carsand Mosher building is open. Also, there's another shop opening soon in the space next to the E-Pin Korean Grill on the next block. It appears to be a clothing boutique. This will mean a continuous retail/restaurant strip on the east side of the street for nearly two blocks!
Thanks for the update, I was wondering when The North Face would open.

The second clothing boutique that you mentioned may be the Patagonia store that is supposed to be opening soon as well.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:33 AM

Kudos to the franchise owner for opening his store in that area! He tells me that there were no subsidies, kick backs, tax breaks or incentives of any kind available for him in this "revitalization district". Not too many would do the same.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post

The second clothing boutique that you mentioned may be the Patagonia store that is supposed to be opening soon as well.
Actually, Patagonia is opening in the Brewery Market building a couple of blocks away, with an entrance through one of the arches on Lower Water. The store on Barrington is going to be called "Clothing Confections Bespoke." I'm not quite sure what to expect...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Actually, Patagonia is opening in the Brewery Market building a couple of blocks away, with an entrance through one of the arches on Lower Water. The store on Barrington is going to be called "Clothing Confections Bespoke." I'm not quite sure what to expect...
Oh ok. Any word on when Patagonia will open?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 7:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
The store on Barrington is going to be called "Clothing Confections Bespoke." I'm not quite sure what to expect...
"bespoke" is a term used in the UK meaning "custom made" or "made to order". It's generally high quality stuff so it might be a very nice store.....

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Oh ok. Any word on when Patagonia will open?
The last time I passed by I saw "opening soon" signs but it looked like they were still renovating the space. It could be any day now...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 4:04 AM

"Halloween Distributors" has moved into the old Buckley's space on Quinpool. I'll try to get a photo soon because words can't adequately convey how UGLY the sign is (and the sign looks pretty heavy duty for what I would think is just a temporary/seasonal outfit...)

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 6:49 PM

Update:

Hollister Co. will officially open at Halifax Shopping Centre on Saturday, August 20th.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
"Halloween Distributors" has moved into the old Buckley's space on Quinpool. I'll try to get a photo soon because words can't adequately convey how UGLY the sign is (and the sign looks pretty heavy duty for what I would think is just a temporary/seasonal outfit...)
Saw the sign yesterday.... wow.

Also spotted, a cheese/deli place opening on the North side of Quinpool, close to the Korean restaurant, Song. Sign in the window said it was to open on Monday, August 22. Brief glimpse of the interior showed dark + stainless counter, red walls, and some fixted tables/seating. Looks like it could be interesting.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 9:14 PM

Halifax really needs an H&M. It would sell like gang busters in a city with so many college kids and would-be hipsters.
I'm over 50 and still find cheap throw-away shirts there that look good....for one season.
It's cheap and cheerful and perfect for MMM, HSC or SGR.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 9:16 PM

WHOOPSIE....MMM already has one.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsond View Post
Halifax really needs an H&M. It would sell like gang busters in a city with so many college kids and would-be hipsters.
I'm over 50 and still find cheap throw-away shirts there that look good....for one season.
It's cheap and cheerful and perfect for MMM, HSC or SGR.
Mic Mac Mall has had an H & M for quite a while.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Walked by the sign today and had a close look. It's ugly, yeah, but not actually that substantial - it's printed on a rubber tarp and screwed down over the old Buckley's signage. Cheap and, fortunately, easily removed.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 10:37 PM
Urban Thinker

Was at HSC this afternoon, and there was a line up of about 100 people waiting to get in the new Hollister. (Probably not allowed more than a certain numbeer of people in the store for fire safety reasons) They even had a couple of security guards! I think they'll do good business.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
Was at HSC this afternoon, and there was a line up of about 100 people waiting to get in the new Hollister. (Probably not allowed more than a certain numbeer of people in the store for fire safety reasons) They even had a couple of security guards! I think they'll do good business.
I was in Hollister an hour after they opened (10:30 AM) and the line was over an hour to the cashier. I walked by a few hours after I had left the store and people were lined down into the mall hallway. Busiest store I've ever seen.

Btw, the store is gorgeous!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 6:23 PM

News:

Rockport will open in Halifax Shopping Centre in Fall 2011

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 1:06 AM

Quote:
News:

Rockport will open in Halifax Shopping Centre in Fall 2011
Can't happen soon enough. My feet are going to hell.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 7:32 PM

Quote:
I was in Hollister an hour after they opened (10:30 AM) and the line was over an hour to the cashier. I walked by a few hours after I had left the store and people were lined down into the mall hallway. Busiest store I've ever seen.

Btw, the store is gorgeous!
Well hopefully that popularity will be kept up all year round.
Then the store will do well and hopefully add another one.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Well hopefully that popularity will be kept up all year round.
Then the store will do well and hopefully add another one.
I heard that waits are still over an hour to pay, which is incredible considering this is on a weekday and 4 days after they opened!

My hope is that Abercrombie & Fitch Co. will see the massive sales and open other stores in HSC like Abercrombie & Fitch, abercrombie kids, and Gilly Hicks. To be honest, I don't really want to see duplicates of any of these stores anywhere around here because I really don't want these brands to become American Eagle or Aeropostale... which you can find in every large mall in every city and will not attract people from elsewhere. Fortunately, I remember reading in an article a little while ago that Abercrombie & Fitch Co. wanted to expand only into Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax and Ottawa. They wanted to expand into the biggest city in every market (like Halifax in Atlantic Canada) so that these cities would have stores to serve that market, and their brands would always remain an upscale destination store. Aeropostale is a good example of what used to be a destination store. They opened in Halifax first and were drawing people from all over NB, PEI, and somewhat NFLD. Now they are in every city (Moncton, Saint John, etc.) and people do not come here from outside NS to shop at Aeropostale anymore. (Like American Eagle, Bath & Body Works, etc.)
I really hope they stick to this limited expansion plan, because they would benefit Halifax massively (in retail/economic terms), especially during Christmas season and back-to-school time when people will chose to shop in the cities with the biggest destination stores (like Halifax in Atlantic Canada).

Note:
There are currently 9 Hollister stores in Canada (all in the cities mentioned above, except Ottawa (at the moment), and smaller cities within close proximity to Greater Toronto).

There are 4 Abercrombie & Fitch stores in Canada (Toronto (2), Calgary, Edmonton).

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 2:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I naturally disagree with this approach to retailing.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General