HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 12:04 PM

Hyrum - Cache town may grow upscale

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...230965,00.html

Water skiers and boaters enjoy Hyrum Reservoir. A 1,000-acre resort-style project may be built near the reservoir.

Logan-based Harbor View LLC wants to annex almost 1,000 acres southwest of Hyrum and build a resort-style village with an 18-hole golf course, a 500-room hotel and thousands of homes. The Hyrum Lake & Golf Park would include 12 parks, eight miles of biking, hiking and horse trails, a clubhouse-reception center and 120,000 square feet of office and retail space.

The developers hope to capitalize on the project's recreational amenities, including proximity to Hyrum Dam State Park, to lure buyers to upscale houses and condominiums. The proposed annexation and development would increase Hyrum's land area by more than one-third and possibly double the town's population of about 8,000.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 7:23 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I Hate Wal-mart

Wal-Mart Cometh

"It’s been three years in the making, but Wal-Mart is finally making some movements within its South Main Logan location"

http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/...ews/news01.txt

I hate Wal-Mart more than skybridges!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 8:01 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Wal-Mart Cometh

"It’s been three years in the making, but Wal-Mart is finally making some movements within its South Main Logan location"

http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/...ews/news01.txt

I hate Wal-Mart more than skybridges!

No matter how hard people try to fight it in the end...

Walmart ALWAYS wins!!!!

And then everyone shops there afterwards.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 6:53 AM

http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=10072608

Don't know if there are any Logan posters around but I thought I would drag this thread out of the cellar anyway.

Just giving props to the top 10 in Idaho and Utah.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 4:23 PM

Thanks IF guy, very cool and magnanimous of you.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 3:43 PM
The Drifter

I am the only Cache Valley poster that I know of, though I did grow up in Taylorsville.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 9:37 PM

Not a lot of Logan / Cache Valley development news being posted, so I'm here to help with the exposure.

Article from the Herald Journal (Logan's newspaper) today:
http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/...2-06-13-09.txt

By Kim Burgess

staff writer

The economy may be down but Cache Valley’s restaurant scene is revving up.

In the next few months, at least four eateries are expected to open offering everything from steaks to frozen yogurt.

“I think the press Logan has received about low unemployment and stable economy is one reason for the attraction,” said Kirk Jensen, Logan’s economic development director.

He added that the university crowd is also a draw, something that was echoed by the owners of the new businesses.

All of the new restaurants offer moderately priced food that would appeal to students with tight finances.

TEXAS ROADHOUSE

LOCATION: Roughly 1300 N. Main St., adjacent to Cache Valley Mall

EXPECTED OPENING DATE: Aug. 31

MENU: Steaks, ribs, seafood, pulled pork, hamburgers, salads and chicken dishes

AVERAGE COST: $10 to $20

The large steakhouse chain with 325 restaurants in 46 states has finally made it to Cache Valley.

Some locals who heard about the new Texas Roadhouse are such fans that they’re considering taking the day off to attend the grand opening.

“Everyone in Logan will know about it,” said Travis Doster, spokesperson for the Louisville, Ky., company.

SPOON ME

EXPECTED OPENING DATE: July 2

MENU: “Frozen yogurt minus the sin” in three flavors — natural, green tea or acai. Toppings include fruit, cereal and nuts.

AVERAGE COST: About $4 a serving.

The Salt Lake City-based chain of five stores is booming, adding four new locations including one in Logan.

“What sold me on owning a Spoon Me franchise was the core values of the company — good for the body, good for the community and good for the environment,” said Sue Measom, who owns local restaurant along with her husband, Ty. The couple previously started the successful company Camp Chef, which makes Dutch ovens.

Spoon Me CEO Ryan Combe added that Logan is a perfect location for the business because residents are health oriented. Since the first Spoon Me opened in 2007, Combe has gotten numerous calls from Cache Valley residents who wanted to bring it here.

“We are confident the people and community will embrace what Spoon Me stands for and its involvement in the community,” he said, explaining that Spoon Me accepts donations for a new local charity each month and provides a community board for volunteer activities.

JIMMY JOHN’S

EXPECTED OPENING DATE: Mid-August

MENU: Gourmet sub and club sandwiches with names like Vito and Bootlegger Club.

AVERAGE COST: $4.50 to $5.50 per sandwich.

Restaurant owner Brad Oldroyd says he is excited to open Cache Valley’s first location of the national sandwich chain. He noted that Jimmy John’s tend to perform well with the college crowd and is already looking into opening a second one at the south end of the valley.

“It’s the best sandwich you can find,” Oldroyd said, adding that the restaurants are also known for fast in-house service and delivery.

A Logan native, Oldroyd now lives in Farmington and owns four Chevrons along the Wasatch Front.

BEEHIVE GRILL

EXPECTED OPENING DATE: End of June

MENU: Steaks, pasta, seafood, vegetarian; 90-capacity bar

AVERAGE COST: $8 to $15 per entr/e

This new restaurant will have something for everyone, according to Front House Manager Amy Sharp.

“There won’t be anything like us in Cache Valley,” she said.

Beehive Grill will brew its own root beer as well as offering a bar — making it a stop for families and those seeking nightlife.

Formerly Blackstone, the building’s interior has been totally redesigned with an outdoors theme including bikes, boats and hang gliders.

Beehive Grill will be open seven days a week for lunch and dinner — a bonus for those who like to eat out on Sundays.

QDOBA

EXPECTED OPENING DATE: 9 to 12 months

MENU: Burritos, tacos, nachos and salads made to order.

AVERAGE COST: $7 to $9

The Denver-based chain is still searching for a franchise partner in Cache Valley but is determined to come to the area.

If they do, Logan would have the first Qdoba in Utah.

Todd Owen, vice president of development, said he would like to have two valley locations — one devoted to the university crowd and the other more community oriented.

With a total of 60 to 80 new restaurants set to open this year, Qdoba is the most rapidly growing fast casual franchise in the U.S. There are currently about 500 Qdobas in 42 states.

Owen attributed that success to Qdoba’s healthy, tasty food offered at a reasonable price.

“In the Utah area, we see great potential that we haven’t tapped into yet,” Owen said.

Some other development in the area.
  • Riverwoods Complex (Marriot hotel, conference center, and 5-story office building)
  • New Walmart (second in Logan)
  • Walgreens
  • New education research center (USU)
  • New building at Innovation Campus (business park / mixture of USU and private companies)

I'll add more about these (with pics) in the near future.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 5:33 AM

Wal-Mart with Fly Shop opens in Logan

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_12611114?source=rss

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 06/17/2009 06:27:44 PM MDT

A new Wal-Mart store in Logan has opened its doors, featuring The Fly Shop, one of three in the chain nationwide. The Fly Shop is stocked with equipment and supplies for fishers and outdoor enthusiasts.

The store, located at 1150 S. 100 West, is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and employs about 350 people. Leased areas and services include a Subway restaurant and a SmartStyle Family Hair Salon.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 6:23 AM

The Riverwoods and pictures.

The Riverwoods is $40million project that was developed on the south end of Logan on Main Street, by the Logan River. It consists of a Hotel, conference center, restaurant, gym, spa, office building, and parking terrace.

Office building

Bridge being built over River for alternate entrance (100 east instead of Main street)

Everything is open and up and running, though some aesthetics are still in progress including the parking lots and patio / backarea of the hotel and conference cente.r

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 4:55 PM

Thanks for the pcitures.
Looks very nice.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 7:55 PM

The shopping cart is a nice touch.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 10:16 AM

Its funny because I dont even remember it there when I took the picture. Plus, there's not really any shopping center directly nearby. Pretty random.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 9:29 AM

Recent Projects

Here's a list of some developments in progress in Logan.

Edit: Removed.

Last edited by TonyAnderson; Oct 6, 2009 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 7:43 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
[B]
New Walgreens set to open on 10th North and Main.

[/IMG]
I am a bit annoyed they took out street front stores to put the walgreens in set back away from the street.

About the Riverwoods project, I like that we finally have a marriot here but to have a project like this just 2 blocks from downtown pisses me off. It just does not add to downtown in any way with its setup. None of the buildings are up to the street and they don't even face main street. Coming from the company building this project I would think they would do a better job then make a business park style project just south of a downtown.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 7:48 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Life Science Research Center at the Innovation Campus (business park created by USU in northern Logan)
this building I like. I like how some of the masonry sections are angled.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 8:01 PM

Were there stores were the Walgreens is now? Seems like nothing was there, but yeah it is a notch off of the street which is something I don't like either, but it's not too bad.

I believe Wasatch Management, who developed Riverwoods, originally wanted the Marriot downtown around 2nd North, but they weren't able to work anything out with the Mayor/City. But still, it could be pretty cool in helping downtown Logan extend it's downtown boundaries to around that area (6th southish), espeically with other projects going on around the southern part (walmart and related retail, beehive grill and that complex). Right now the downtown seems to be about 2 South to 6th North.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 7:02 AM
The Drifter

Ya, I remember them wanting to put the hotel where the goodyear tire store was on 2nd North but the city wouldn't let that property go. They wanted to keep it for city use. Though I do think it would have been better if they could have worked something out and had the hotel in downtown.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Here's a list of some developments in progress in Logan.

New Walmart on the south side of Logan (there's two now in Logan). Has a

New Education building at USU's campus, just beginning development.

Why do some architects use southern utah red rock stuff as inspiration for a northern Utah/no red rock location??!!!!!! It's not good design! The other aspects are interesting though.

I believe I know who the architect is, too. I believe he was a classmate of mine in architecture school at the U. He has talent. But, the red rocks inspiration for Logan is off the mark.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 1:09 AM

It's definitely an out-of-the-norm design.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 1:11 AM

$100M N. Logan industrial park aims to be magnet for growth

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_12743817?source=rss

Under wayR » San Diego company sees possible completion of the $100M project in five years.

By Arrin Newton Brunson

Special To The Tribune
Updated: 07/02/2009 07:02:04 PM MDT

North Logan » With the largest commercial development in the history of Cache County well under way, investors are betting on an improving economy to fill it up.

Ryan Reeves is the broker for the $100 million-plus Eagle Creek Industrial Business Park, which recently broke ground at 3100 North and Main Street in this northern Utah community, population 8,149.

San Diego-based Faulkner Development Group is building more than than 50 acres of industrial infrastructure, plus 40 acres of office and commercial retail real estate. It could be finished within five years. Two buildings with 80,000 square feet of industrial space are the first under construction, Reeves said.

"The industrial-product vacancy rate in Cache County is 2.8 percent, the lowest in the state," he said. "We already have 20,000 square feet under contract when construction is finished in September. In the past three years we've had an amazing amount of out-of-town investors coming to Cache County."

Not everyone thinks North Logan is the proper location for such a project.

Utah real estate developer Dell Loy Hansen said today's economy requires complementary, not competing, development. His 115-room Marriott Hotel -- plus shops, a fitness center and the 32,000-square-foot Riverwoods Conference Center and Business Park -- are up and running along on Logan's Main Street.

Hansen believes his childhood hometown of North Logan is an ideal place for residential growth. He predicts Faulkner's vast commercial expansion two blocks off U.S. Highway 91 is going to be hard to fill.

But overall, Sandy Emile, president of the Cache Chamber of Commerce, said the future looks bright for the Logan metropolitan area that includes North Logan. Forbes magazine, US News & World Report and CNN have identified the area as one of the best places in the nation to develop new businesses.

"Looking at the pointers -- the earmarks, the number of requests that I have coming across my Chamber desk for new businesses -- there is no reason not to anticipate our area is primed, more than any other area of our state, to move forward," Emile said, adding that Eagle Creek is near Logan-Cache Airport.

Derek Miller, acting boss of the Governor's Office of Economic Development, looks at the larger statewide picture and says there are many positive signs of economic growth -- Downtown Rising in Salt Lake City, a new airport in St. George and expansion projects in the north by Procter & Gamble, Hershey's and Thermo Fisher Scientific.

Entrepreneurs looking for a place to grow their companies are looking for skilled and educated employees, reasonable costs associated with doing business and a good quality of life for the work force, Miller said.

"What makes northern Utah such a great place is they're able to hit the mark in all three of these areas," Miller said. "The community and elected officials are proactive. They have a vision and plan, and they are aggressive as far as economic development goes.

"It's not accidental that the companies go to these places."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West