HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:17 AM

Looks like Jennifer Watts is back in. Ugh, no comment. Surprised my uncle knocked Dawn to third though! For a first time candidate, he did well...but not as well as Waye.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
I highly encourage you to do so, you did really well against an incumbent whos been around for 20 years! Well done on a fantastic campaign and I look forward to seeing you back in 2016!
I second that - my uncle ran against Sloane and Watts and came second. I expected him to place Third; so who am I to be predicting political races! =)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:22 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Congratulations to Waye! It was a really impressive campaign. I'm delighted with how things turned out for me. There's no shame in coming second to McCluskey in a crowded field on the first time out. It's really humbling to have garnered so much support. We'll see what the next few years brings. I may just try again in 2016
It would have been a progressive change if you had won. It was a strong second place finish behind McCluskey, so it looks like you have a good chance for a future election win.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:49 AM
Honored Member

The Council appears to be as follows:

Mayor
Mike Savage

District 1: Waverley-Fall River-Musquodoboit Valley
Barry Dalrymple

District 2: Preston-Porters Lake-Eastern Shore
David Hendsbee

District 3: Dartmouth South-Eastern Passage - Edited due to recount - http://www.halifax.ca/election/resul...ctober2012.pdf
Bill Karsten

District 4: Cole Harbour-Westphal
Lorelei Nicoll

District 5: Dartmouth Centre
Gloria McCluskey

District 6: Harbourview-Burnside-Dartmouth East
Darren Fisher

District 7: Peninsula South-Downtown
Waye Mason

District 8: Peninsula North
Jennifer Watts

District 9: Peninsula West-Armdale
Linda Mosher

District 10: Birch Cove-Rockingham-Fairview
Russell Walker

District 11: Spryfield-Sambro-Prospect Road
Stephen Adams

District 12: Timberlea-Beechville-Clayton Park West
Reg Rankin

District 13: Hammonds Plains-St. Margarets
Matt Whitman

District 14: Upper/Middle Sackville-Beaver Bank
Brad (BJ) Johns

District 15: Lower Sackville
Steve Craig

District 16: Bedford-Wentworth
Tim Outhit

Last edited by fenwick16; Oct 23, 2012 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 5:11 AM

The more things change - the more they stay the same.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 9:11 AM
BANNED

Congrats Waye!!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 9:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith p. View Post
good luck sam, i hope you win. However i am discouraged by the sheer number of mccluskey and savage signs i see driving around the area. I am especially astounded by the number of mccluskey signs along woodland avenue. It must be sheer hell to live on that street with the incessant heavy traffic, and she has done nothing over her entire political career to alleviate the problem for those residents, yet they apparently support her. Incomprehensible.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
The Council appears to be as follows:

Mayor
Mike Savage

District 1: Waverley-Fall River-Musquodoboit Valley
Barry Dalrymple

District 2: Preston-Porters Lake-Eastern Shore
David Hendsbee

District 3: Dartmouth South-Eastern Passage
Jackie Barkhouse: 3352 - Elected according to CBC - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...cil-races.html
Bill Karsten: 3346

District 4: Cole Harbour-Westphal
Lorelei Nicoll

District 5: Dartmouth Centre
Gloria McCluskey

District 6: Harbourview-Burnside-Dartmouth East
Darren Fisher

District 7: Peninsula South-Downtown
Waye Mason

District 8: Peninsula North
Jennifer Watts

District 9: Peninsula West-Armdale
Linda Mosher

District 10: Birch Cove-Rockingham-Fairview
Russell Walker

District 11: Spryfield-Sambro-Prospect Road
Stephen Adams

District 12: Timberlea-Beechville-Clayton Park West
Reg Rankin

District 13: Hammonds Plains-St. Margarets
Matt Whitman

District 14: Upper/Middle Sackville-Beaver Bank
Brad (BJ) Johns

District 15: Lower Sackville
Steve Craig

District 16: Bedford-Wentworth
Tim Outhit

What a terrible result for HRM.

We have a backroom boy Mayor who won election simply by not being Peter Kelly and saying nothing of substance during the campaign.

But far more discouraging are the Council results. Look at those names - mostly more of the same, with shining lights like Hendsbee, Dalrymple, Rankin, McCluskey, Nicholl, and Johns all returning to continue the stellar Council performance of last time.

Even worse, Halifax Peninsula has now been closed to development with the election of Watts and Mason to represent it - two NDP puppets who are staunchly anti-development and who are relying on a planning strategy that was designed to pander to the height-phobic types who have controlled this city for so long. Mason was backed by the likes of Alan Ruffman, Lezlie Lowe, Kyle Buott, pretty much the entire local CBC, and the usual suspects of the left-wing anti-development fringe.

HRM voters clearly did not want change. By their actions, the next 4 years have the potential to be even worse than the last.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 2:54 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
What a terrible result for HRM.

We have a backroom boy Mayor who won election simply by not being Peter Kelly and saying nothing of substance during the campaign.

But far more discouraging are the Council results. Look at those names - mostly more of the same, with shining lights like Hendsbee, Dalrymple, Rankin, McCluskey, Nicholl, and Johns all returning to continue the stellar Council performance of last time.

Even worse, Halifax Peninsula has now been closed to development with the election of Watts and Mason to represent it - two NDP puppets who are staunchly anti-development and who are relying on a planning strategy that was designed to pander to the height-phobic types who have controlled this city for so long. Mason was backed by the likes of Alan Ruffman, Lezlie Lowe, Kyle Buott, pretty much the entire local CBC, and the usual suspects of the left-wing anti-development fringe.

HRM voters clearly did not want change. By their actions, the next 4 years have the potential to be even worse than the last.
I have concerns about the effect of the election on the Central Plan for the Peninsula; it will probably result in restrictive building heights on the Peninsula. I can see a shift in high-rise construction to the Dartmouth side and Mainland Halifax. There are still several pro-development Councillors, although I think it is now a bit more slanted towards the anti-development side.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:34 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Mason was backed by the likes of Alan Ruffman, Lezlie Lowe, Kyle Buott,
I love conspiracy theorists. You've posted that Lezlie was a supporter here and on the CBC site, and in fact that was my wife... having straight cut bangs on black hair, you know, a common hair cut.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:37 PM
we built this city

Normally I'd be a bit pessimistic... but most of the developments I want to see happen are either under construction or in the works. There are many as of right lots that council can't even touch.

People are loving the cranes and the fact that the city is becoming more cohesive. Anybody against development is going to have a tough road explaining themselves going forward... or they won't be re-elected.

I wasn't impressed by anybody who ran, but realistically its going to take a higher annual salary for talent to want to be a councillor...

I'm excited for the next time I'm in Halifax to see the changes, particularly Nova Centre and the Citadel Hotel development.

Now... I'd love to see International Place and the Alexander go up! Also, very interested in this Bank of Canada proposal.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
I love conspiracy theorists. You've posted that Lezlie was a supporter here and on the CBC site, and in fact that was my wife... having straight cut bangs on black hair, you know, a common hair cut.
So, are you denying that Ms. Lowe was a supporter?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:48 PM
Honored Member

Congratulations on your win Waye Mason. It is certainly a major accomplishment, although I don't agree with many of your views it is good to see someone who contributes to this forum on HRM Council.

Maybe you will recognize the enthusiasm shown by HRM residents for a stadium and iconic highrise construction and take that into account in the future (I remember a poll indicating 4 times as much support for a stadium as there was for a convention centre - but I think the Halifax area needs the convention centre first).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:58 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
So, are you denying that Ms. Lowe was a supporter?
Yes. No money, no volunteering, no talking. Last time I saw Lezlie was when our daughters choir played in Ottawa on July 1.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:04 PM

Honest mistake then. I saw a woman who looked like her at your HQ and I saw her singing your praises online. Obviously she didn't support you.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 5:05 PM

Waye: Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party of Halifax?
(Sorry, it feels like McCarthyism is alive and well in municipal poltics for some reason)

How about we keep things polite, civil, and save the critiques for actions rather than wild speculation on what people may or may not do.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 5:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Congratulations Waye on your win.

spaustin, it is too bad you didn't win, but you will be well-positioned in 2016 if Gloria McCluskey does not run again.

I wish more of the old councillors had been voted out, but I am still hopeful that this council will work better than the old one.

I don't think the height debate is that central to the health of the downtown core these days. It never really was. Other issues like tax reform, transit, and improvements to the public realm are more important. particularly now that HbD is in place. For whatever reason the old council was incapable of doing even simple things like funding streetscape improvements downtown. Some of the other issues lately, like the St. Pat's debacle, have more to do with a lack of leadership than pro- or anti-development leanings. It should have been possible to get the developer and community groups to work together on that project.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 7:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Congratulations to Waye! It was a really impressive campaign. I'm delighted with how things turned out for me. There's no shame in coming second to McCluskey in a crowded field on the first time out. It's really humbling to have garnered so much support. We'll see what the next few years brings. I may just try again in 2016
I wasn't paying too much attention to the election so I didn't even know you were running SPA. We go way back as fellow forumers even to Simtropolis. Congratulations on placing 2nd! i too heartily encourage you to consider running again the next time. Your profile will be higher and you will stand a good chance of winning.

And congratulations to Waye as well. I know you will do your best to represent the best interests of HRM.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 10:28 PM

Congrats Waye on your win, and good showing Sam! I think you have a good understanding of local and universal urban issues and showed more of a vision than most of the incumbents. If you are able to make people remember your name I think you have a good chance of winning in 2016, and the city would be a better place if you did.

Waye, just to clear the air a little bit, I'd like to ask what your position is on some local issues. A lot of people on this forum seem to disagree with your opinions, some nearly to the point of hostility, however I have not found that your opinions are necessarily very different from mine. What are your thoughts on:

The Centre Plan?
Building heights downtown and elsewhere?
Heritage preservation downtown and elsewhere?
The strength of downtown as an economic/cultural/entertainment/leisure district?
A new stadium and/or pro sports franchise?
LRT or other major transit projects?
Affordable housing?
Tax reform?
Violent crime?
Do you see Halifax as a place at risk of losing its small-town charm, or one that is reluctantly beginning to embrace its status as a major city again?

Hopefully I'm not opening too big a can of worms here, I am just interested in hearing your vision for the city. If others could hold off on speculating on Waye's views until he has a chance to respond, it would be much appreciated.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:11 AM

As a young person ineligible to even vote yet I still believe my point of view should count in some regard. Though I haven't been very interested this election and barely looked into any of the candidates I can only hope you, Waye, have some interest for my generation. A few of the main issues I have are how slowly everything is moving in terms of developments downtown, street health, public transit and my education. I hope you can work on at least a few of these things. As I age I would love to consider Halifax as a place I could make a living in.

Good luck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy