HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 4:22 PM

THIS MONTH! probably means in two months more likely.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 4:54 PM
BANNED

Interesting article. Will the mall get a department store to lease some space...

As much as I like this huge project I can't help but think that offices and retail will see few visitors. This new neighborhood has a long way to go. Streets leading to ERY (from 8th Avenue) are desolate and hostile. It will improve but how long will it take?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 6:31 PM

Yes, overbuild foundation start this month

Quote:
Originally Posted by King DenCity View Post
THIS MONTH! probably means in two months more likely.
I've been skeptical baou these announcements also.
But, we have photographic evidence and insider partial explanations about what the photos (j-biz, NYGuy, hardcoreshutterbug, etc.) show.

Templates/starter holes for the between active track caissons were started last month. The currently active track area is the era north of PHASE 3 in the diagram below.

I think we have also seen at least one of the big vertical mast auger drills start operating in either the Phase 1 or Phase 2A area late last month also:

ThorntonTomasetti via NYguy

Perhaps NYguy or j-biz or ? will brave the "arctic vortex" this week and take some more photos of the construction operations in the train yard. Note that tmrw's high for 10001 zip code is 10 deg F and WINDY...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Interesting article. Will the mall get a department store to lease some space...

As much as I like this huge project I can't help but think that offices and retail will see few visitors. This new neighborhood has a long way to go. Streets leading to ERY (from 8th Avenue) are desolate and hostile. It will improve but how long will it take?
There will be two largeish residential building open on the south side of W30th this year. AFAIK/guess, Manhattan West will be building residential in a few years along w/ at least one tower in the ESY area of Hudson Yards.

So, I'm guessing ~five years.

Here's a snippet of Related's dreams-as-renderings that will NOT happen on the time scale shown, but should happen. One specific achievement that I think will not happen this year is the Culture Tower/15 Hudson Yards stump shown in 2014. The render's view is looking NNE:

Last edited by vkristof; Jan 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 9:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Some people once thought that about Time Warner Center (which replaced the homeless encampment at the old Coliseum. But New York overall is underserved by retail, and the west side of Manhattan (which doesn't have a lot of shopping) very so. Obviously it helps that there will be subway access (beginning this year), but there is a lot of residential development being built on the west side of Manhattan. People always need somewhere to shop. Most places in Manhattan you don't really need to travel great distances to shop, it should be no different on the west side, which will be a city unto itself.

As far as the office space goes, you already have companies planning the move, even without anything being built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
Perhaps NYguy or j-biz or ? will brave the "arctic vortex" this week and take some more photos of the construction operations in the train yard. Note that tmrw's high for 10001 zip code is 10 deg F and WINDY...
It's supposed to warm up for the rest of the week, but whether I get out to get photos, I'm not sure.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 9:45 PM

I will definitely go over at some point this week for some photos. It's supposed to be sunny on Wednesday, so maybe then. They're busy as ever, despite the crappy weather.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
I will definitely go over at some point this week for some photos. It's supposed to be sunny on Wednesday, so maybe then. They're busy as ever, despite the crappy weather.
Stay warm. This kind of weather gives you yet another appreciation for the jobs of construction workers...

I wonder how the homeless person on the 11th Ave viaduct is doing?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Stay warm. This kind of weather gives you yet another appreciation for the jobs of construction workers...

I wonder how the homeless person on the 11th Ave viaduct is doing?
I walked over the viaduct last week and the homeless person has an even more elaborate setup than last month. Hopefully, the person installed a fireplace for tomorrow's polar vortex..

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGuy View Post
I walked over the viaduct last week and the homeless person has an even more elaborate setup than last month. Hopefully, the person installed a fireplace for tomorrow's polar vortex..
No fireplace with this upgrade but roof will not leak.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 6:31 PM
New Yorker for life

I should also point out that whether or not Related's complex is open or welcoming to visitors at all, that area is going to be a draw as soon as the third leg of the High Line opens, and further still when the Hudson Boulevard & Park opens.

Everything will come together nicely.

HorsePunchKid

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 6:58 PM

Los of changes/openings this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I should also point out that whether or not Related's complex is open or welcoming to visitors at all, that area is going to be a draw as soon as the third leg of the High Line opens, and further still when the Hudson Boulevard & Park opens.

Everything will come together nicely.
Yah. The third phase of the High Line opens this year, minus the eastern end that runs under 10 Hudson Yards.

This recent HY FB photo shows the current northern end of the High Line from 10 HY (looking SE from the SW corner of the south tower/10 HY). The Phase 3 section that will NOT open this year is between the 10 HY concrete wall on the left and the concrete columns in the left half. The residential tower behind the columns is opening this year and has a patio/plaza adjacent to the High Line curve:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Last edited by vkristof; Jan 10, 2014 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 2:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Yah. The third phase of the High Line opens this year, minus the eastern end that runs under 10 Hudson Yards.
The eastern end, also known as the spur, is what will connect the opposite side of 10th Ave, (Manhattan West, etc.), and will have it's own unique design. Read more about that here...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=119155

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:11 PM

DNAinfo reports blasting is to start as early as next week, so his home was about to get a lot less habitable anyway.

UrbanImpressionist, I'm sure you're thrilled about this news.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
DNAinfo reports blasting is to start as early as next week, so his home was about to get a lot less habitable anyway.

UrbanImpressionist, I'm sure you're thrilled about this news.
Perhaps urbanimpressionist will post some more photos of the overall project from his perch?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 7:20 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Funny you ask that specifically..I hadn't really thought of it myself, but while I was at work last week, a woman came up and asked where Neiman Marcus was, and when I informed her there wasn't one in the city, she was very surprised.

Perhaps somewhere in this development could be the new home of Manhattan's first Neiman's? Would be pretty awesome

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 3:26 PM

Just read an article about Anthony Bourdain having intentions to open a world market in the retail portions of either WTC or Hudson Yards.
Here's the link.
http://observer.com/2014/01/anthony-...t-in-new-york/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 8:28 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle16307141/

Manhattan mega-project over rail yards picks up steam

LAURA CAMERON
Jan 13, 2014

Quote:
Jay Cross, head of Related Companies’ redevelopment of the Hudson Yards in Manhattan, calls himself a west-side Sisyphus – forever pushing the rock up a hill. Formerly a Canadian Olympic sailor and president of the New York Jets, his first shot at reviving the desolate swathe of industrial land on the Hudson River was in 2000 when he led the unsuccessful bid to build an Olympic Stadium on the same site.

If anything, his current plan is more ambitious. Related, a privately owned U.S. real estate firm, and its Canadian partner, Oxford Properties Group Inc., are building a massive platform over the rail yards to forge a mixed-use development from the least desirable land in the City of New York.

Along with Brookfield Office Properties, another Canadian company building over a smaller section of yards to the east, the developers are trying to turn a cluster of high-rise office and residential towers into a community that will fit seamlessly into the city. “We take the creation of a neighbourhood as probably the No. 1 challenge,” Mr. Cross said. “And neighbourhoods are kind of tricky, ethereal things.”

When Mr. Cross took charge of the project in 2008, he called Blake Hutcheson, the CEO of Oxford, in Toronto and asked him to be a partner. Together the companies are developing six million square feet of commercial real estate and an additional six million square feet of residential, all on a 26-acre parcel of land.

The site has been under construction since December, 2012, when Related and Oxford began building an office tower at 10 Hudson Yards, the only building in the development to be located entirely on terra firma. The companies will break ground on the platform over the eastern rail yard this month. This time next year every building in the eastern section of the development will be under construction. Once the eastern rail yard is completed in 2018, the companies will begin building a second deck over the western rail yard.

Bill Pederson, the architect who designed the master plan for the Oxford/Related project, calls the High Line, a 2.4-kilometre-long elevated park built on a former railway, an umbilical cord that ties the nascent area to its surroundings. He believes three links – the park, the No. 7 subway, and the Hudson River – will foster a sense of neighbourhood in Hudson Yards by integrating it into the fabric of the city.

When it comes to the residential and office towers themselves, Mr. Pedersen is concerned with the presence they will have on the New York skyline, but he says that is only one component of the design.

“The other side of the equation is how these buildings step down in scale until they address the street in a way where they become intimately connected with the surrounding context,” Mr. Pedersen added. “That is something that has been a great preoccupation of mine for the last 40 years.”

Mr. Cross explains, “The diversity of uses that we’re pursuing requires the architecture to be more layered and textural and that helps create a human dimension to the space.”

The development will be made up of a central square bounded by two office towers, two residential towers, a hotel, a large retail complex, a subway, and the terminus of the High Line.

“I don’t think it’s going to feel pre-packaged,” said Peter Wertheim, vice-president of development and finance for the city’s Hudson Yards Development Corporation. “There was a tremendous opportunity to create a neighbourhood essentially from scratch, and if it all comes to pass the way it’s been envisioned and designed and structured, Hudson Yards should have something to appeal to everybody.”

According to Michael Cohen, president of the Tri-State Region with Colliers International, the variety of functions filled by the development is what makes the area palatable to tenants.

However, there are financial incentives for early movers as well. To make the area more attractive while it still looks like an unsightly hole in the ground, Related and Oxford are offering lower prices to the first tenants to occupy the office towers, including Coach Inc., which will have its global headquarters in Hudson Yards.

The companies are breaking even on current leases in the hope that the white-hot market for residential real estate in Manhattan, along with the retail component, will carry the entire project.

As Related and Oxford cover over the industrial wasteland with their 20-acre platform, it will become easier for potential tenants to imagine Hudson Yards as a destination. One of the projects’ biggest challenges is that all through construction, and after completion of the development, trains will continue running below ground. However, once Oxford’s $1.5-billion platform is finished, the activity in the yards will be out of sight, and the crater on the west side of Manhattan will fade from memory.

“Some day I think this will be a highly prized and desirable location, but today pioneers need to be induced, ” Mr. Cohen said. “The only reason this thing works is the breathtaking scope.”

No one knows this better than Mr. Cross, who has come back for the second time to transform the far west side of Manhattan into a thriving quarter of the city.

“The project is full of technical challenges and marketing challenges. But they are surmountable as long as you get the neighbourhood concept right.”

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Foreign money continues to pour into Manhattan sites...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...-building.html

Abu Dhabi Fund Said to Buy Time Warner Building With GIC

By Klaus Wille
Jan 15, 2014

Quote:
Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, one of the world’s biggest sovereign wealth funds, is investing alongside Singapore’s state fund GIC Pte in the headquarters of Time Warner Inc. (TWX) in New York City, according to a person with direct knowledge of the transaction.

The person, who asked not be identified because the deal is private, declined to disclose the Abu Dhabi fund’s share of the project or the amount invested. New York-based Related Cos., the lead developer of Time Warner Center, is in talks to buy the media company’s 1.1 million square feet (102,193 square meters) of space for $1.3 billion and bring in partners including GIC, people with knowledge of the transaction said in November.

“The sovereign wealth funds have deep, deep pockets,” said Song Seng Wun, an economist at CIMB Group Holdings Bhd. (CIMB) in Singapore. “Partnerships make sense rather than competing with each other. It’s the practical reality of investment opportunities that are sizable.”

The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday the Abu Dhabi and Singapore funds will finance more than 80 percent of the purchase, citing people with knowledge of the talks.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...nhattan-671178

Time Warner Nearing Sale of Manhattan Headquarters for $1.3 Billion (Report)

1/15/2014
by Georg Szalai

Quote:
A sales agreement for the Time Warner Center, on whose construction the entertainment conglomerate spent around $520 million about a decade ago, could be announced as early as Thursday, it said.

Sources have said that Time Warner has focused on a sale of its current building at Columbus Circle that would allow it to lease office space there for about five years before consolidating it's New York operations in a new building.

That building could be a new commercial tower that Related has been developing in the Hudson Yards neighborhood on Manhattan's far West Side, south of Times Square. The conglomerate is believed to have reached a tentative agreement to move into the 80-story skyscraper set to be built at the corner of 10th Avenue and 33rd Street. Other options include a new development on the site of the former World Trade Center.

Time Warner, led by chairman and CEO Jeff Bewkes, has been exploring its real estate options for about two and a half years in an effort to save money and consolidate the staff of its various operations. Most of its current New York leases are up in 2017.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 8:31 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Funny you ask that specifically..I hadn't really thought of it myself, but while I was at work last week, a woman came up and asked where Neiman Marcus was, and when I informed her there wasn't one in the city, she was very surprised.

Perhaps somewhere in this development could be the new home of Manhattan's first Neiman's? Would be pretty awesome
Manhattan has a Neiman Marcus. It just happens to be called Bergdorf Goodman.

On that note, why would Neiman's ever open up their own nameplate on the island? They'd just be leeching traffic from their own Bergdorf's property, after all.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Manhattan has a Neiman Marcus. It just happens to be called Bergdorf Goodman.
Not really true. Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman have the same ownership, but are not the same store. They carry different merchandise, fashion lines and the like. Neiman Marcus is basically a new money Saks. Bergdorf is probably the most upscale department store on the planet.

The reason there's no Neiman Marcus in Manhattan is because when Neiman Marcus bought Bergdorf Goodman, there was some agreement that Bergdorf couldn't enter Neiman Marcus territory, and vice-versa.

That's why Bergdorf had to cancel its expansion plans (they had tentative plans to open in Westchester County, NY and Las Vegas), and why Neiman Marcus had to respect a radius around Manhattan when it started opening new stores in the region (notice that Riverside Square, the closest suburban luxury mall to Manhattan, has Saks and Bloomingdales, and room for expansion, but no Neiman Marcus).

I believe the agreement has expired, though, so Neiman Marcus probably has the right to build in Manhattan.

I would not be shocked if Neiman Marcus came to Hudson Yards. It sounds like a possibility.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive