HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroman520 View Post
Thank you for your help, Stormer. A long time mystery (to me) is finally solved. A small caveat (if you care to hear) I found while researching Florence is that she is my Great-grandaunt by marriage. Her husband John, my patrilineal Great-granduncle, was apparently also politically involved; he ran as a Conservative candidate in the 1930 provincial election, although I don't have any published sources to back that up. Obviously her achievements overshadow his. Anyway, thank you kindly for your assistance.
John also ran in 1934 when the Conservatives were wiped out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskat...election,_1934

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Awesome! I love genealogy. It is so rare when you can find something concrete (or is it asphalt in this case?).

Here is the book excerpt with a picture of her with John Diefenbaker:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=XhH...chewan&f=false
That is not McOrmond in the photo with Dief, it's Charlotte Whitton.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
That is not McOrmond in the photo with Dief, it's Charlotte Whitton.
Oops, McOrmond is in the photo on the right.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 3:43 PM

Here's some news on Saskatoon Freeway

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...katoon-freeway

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 4:56 PM

The final study from 2017 which includes the 2015 study, dry reading but if your into roads it is interesting.

http://publications.gov.sk.ca/docume...inalreport.pdf

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 5:35 PM

IMO we've invested enough already into our current roadway system. What kind of benefit would this really have? Saskatoon isn't like Toronto where you drive down the 401 and have to pass a line of trucks going through the city. I would much rather see the hundreds of millions if not billions that this project would cost be put into transit, infill infrastructure. I understand this is comparing apples to oranges, but how about dedicate all this effort to relocating inner-city rail lines instead?

I encourage anyone to disagree with me! That's the beauty of this forum.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 5:58 PM
BANNED

Don't be fooled into thinking this is nothing but a handout to the trucking industry to bring their delivery times down.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Don't be fooled into thinking this is nothing but a handout to the trucking industry to bring their delivery times down.
Saskatchewan is losing immensely to Winnipeg Edmonton and Calgary on our transportation costs. We need to do anything and everything to lower transportation costs or say goodbye to any new manufacturers that want higher margins. From food products sourced by Sask commodities to steel, it makes sense to build everything not in Saskatchewan unfortunately - hence why Roquette built their half billion dollar pea processor in Manitoba when 80% of peas are grown in sask.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 8:09 PM

perimeter highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
IMO we've invested enough already into our current roadway system. What kind of benefit would this really have? Saskatoon isn't like Toronto where you drive down the 401 and have to pass a line of trucks going through the city. I would much rather see the hundreds of millions if not billions that this project would cost be put into transit, infill infrastructure. I understand this is comparing apples to oranges, but how about dedicate all this effort to relocating inner-city rail lines instead?

I encourage anyone to disagree with me! That's the beauty of this forum.
It is more like comparing apples to dog food. As Saskatoon grows to 500,000 and beyond the purpose of the perimeter highway will be to move provincial and interprovincial traffic around Saskatoon rather than through Saskatoon in a safe and efficient manner. That is where the benefit comes in. The purpose of infill is to limit urban sprawl. The purpose of transit is to move people from point to point within the city. Infill and Transit has nothing to do with the perimeter highway. Those using the highway will not be using transit and as for infill ?????

Using your logic, the money spent the twinning the highways to Edmonton and Prince Albert should have been spent on infill and transit. Remember, the perimeter highway is a provincial project and infill and transit are city projects.

Bottom line is that there is a need for all three projects and all three have costs. Population growth both in Saskatoon and in Saskatchewan requires expanding and improving everything from roads, to bridges, to airports, to transit, to hospitals, to schools, to landfills, and on and on and on. As the need arises those costs will have to be incurred and the money will have to be found to pay for it. (where are we going to find $150million+ for a new landfill)

Finally, as I understand it the perimeter highway is potentially decades away from construction so the money will not be required for a long time. Where as infill and transit require funding right now.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 9:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Saskatchewan is losing immensely to Winnipeg Edmonton and Calgary on our transportation costs. We need to do anything and everything to lower transportation costs or say goodbye to any new manufacturers that want higher margins. From food products sourced by Sask commodities to steel, it makes sense to build everything not in Saskatchewan unfortunately - hence why Roquette built their half billion dollar pea processor in Manitoba when 80% of peas are grown in sask.
So after the Regina Bypass fully opens up next year, we should expect to see a rush of manufacturing flood into the GTH in west Regina? I won’t hold my breath.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
So after the Regina Bypass fully opens up next year, we should expect to see a rush of manufacturing flood into the GTH in west Regina? I won’t hold my breath.
With Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg laid out with solid bypasses, it just means you won’t be seeing much industry leave once plants are close to the end of their lifespan with this new bypass lol. It doesn’t have much do with Regina or the GTH, it just makes us increase our competitiveness when shipping by truck, since we won’t be competitive logistics wise with the latter provinces ever.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:11 PM

A potential new way to cross the river by bike. It is not in the most ideal location but at least it would be for pedestrians and bikes only. Maybe will be used more when that area gets built up.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/bridge-...2021-1.4297881

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 3:49 PM

First phase of rehab on Sid Buckwold Bridge starts mid-April, says City of Saskatoon

Saskatoon StarPhoenix
March 27, 2019

A two-year rehabilitation project for Senator Sid Buckwold Bridge is set to begin on April 15.

According to the City of Saskatoon, the work will happen in two phases stretched over 2019 and 2020. The project will include deck repairs and asphalt replacement, resurfacing of the Idylwyld Drive ramps over 19th Street, strengthening of piers, barrier replacement, widening of walkways and a new drainage system.

[........]

Read more:
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...arts-mid-april

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 5:15 PM

Mcormond work should be done by this summer

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/constru...ange-1.4362542

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
First phase of rehab on Sid Buckwold Bridge starts mid-April, says City of Saskatoon

Saskatoon StarPhoenix
March 27, 2019

A two-year rehabilitation project for Senator Sid Buckwold Bridge is set to begin on April 15.

According to the City of Saskatoon, the work will happen in two phases stretched over 2019 and 2020. The project will include deck repairs and asphalt replacement, resurfacing of the Idylwyld Drive ramps over 19th Street, strengthening of piers, barrier replacement, widening of walkways and a new drainage system.

[........]

Read more:
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...arts-mid-april
I just realized the timeline of this project, it is going to be a major obstacle for drivers. This is going to cause much congestion going into and coming out of downtown and is really going to stretch the patience of drivers, and transit users alike.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 10:02 PM

A different opinion of the Saskatoon Freeway

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...hway-1.5090962

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:28 PM

"Avi Akkerman, a professor of regional and urban planning at the University of Saskatchewan, said Saskatoon would be better off shelving the perimeter freeway and limiting its geographic growth.

"We are repeating the same mistakes," Akkerman said. "Forty-five years ago, Circle Drive was supposed to be a bypass perimeter highway or freeway, and we ended up with a clogged arterial road."

So Saskatoon should never have grown more than the area within the size of Circle Drive? Circle Drive is a great case study for mistakes to avoid with future freeways though.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 2:55 PM

"Maybe we can think about having them move outside peak hours, for example," Diab said.“ ... yikes! Having run a logistics company in my past life, this suggestion is as bad as saying that we should demo the Bess for parking.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 3:13 PM

On an unrelated note:

Does anyone know if the Idywyld Bridge Rehabilitation project will include any aesthetic upgrades? are there any images or plans?

It a neat bridge to cross and some lighting or barrier upgrades or whatnot would really make it cool!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
I just realized the timeline of this project, it is going to be a major obstacle for drivers. This is going to cause much congestion going into and coming out of downtown and is really going to stretch the patience of drivers, and transit users alike.
It really is unbelievable how long bridge re-hab takes in Saskatchewan. Even small flyovers take a whole season. To me the issue is that the cost of traffic disruption is not considered. At times it seems like they are closing more lanes than necessary for longer than necessary, just because they can. There is a real and substantial cost to this that need to be considered. There are safety issues, sure, but using concrete barriers rather than closing extra lanes should be considered and extra shifts work on key bridges should be mandatory.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan