HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 8:36 PM

Sad State of Progress in Halifax

I'm having great fun going back in time with the online newspaper archive that NSARM has just opened. Look at the article here about dedicated bus lanes:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/n...Page=200919542

So, in 34 years, nothing has been done and it is still being talked about. Even then they saw the folly of allowing curbside parking on Quinpool Rd., yet it is still allowed. Unbelievable.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 9:35 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I'm having great fun going back in time with the online newspaper archive that NSARM has just opened. Look at the article here about dedicated bus lanes:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/n...Page=200919542

So, in 34 years, nothing has been done and it is still being talked about. Even then they saw the folly of allowing curbside parking on Quinpool Rd., yet it is still allowed. Unbelievable.
Based on what other cities are doing, parking should be decreased to a minimum. The curbside spaces should be eliminated throughout the peninsula which will then free up some space for dedicated bus lanes. With dedicated bus lanes and traffic light switching capability on the buses it would be similar to a bus ROW. A BRT system could be implemented very quickly by closed off some downtown streets to cars and have them as BRT routes instead. There seems to be numerous studies but only minimal action.

Question: Is the daily Chronicle Herald online anyplace (going back several decades)?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 11:15 PM

You can pay for articles from the Herald's online archive, but I'm not sure how far it goes back.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 8:16 AM

Great find, I've been glued to this all night.

Really is sad...I'm reading articles from 1970 with debate over what to do about truck traffic on (Lower) Water St. 40 years of indecision

There are lots of articles throughout the 1970s about the development of the Quinpool Centre. I had a vague idea there was some higher-density proposal shot down by neighbours but I hadn't realized it was such a controversial and drawn-out saga.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 11:34 AM

everything in this city is long and drawn out, as no one can make a descision.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 12:00 PM

One of the things that was apparently lost when the Daily News was shut down was their online archive. It was a pay site, but they had all sorts of stuff going back to the late 80s/early 90s available. I don't think that is available anywhere now.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 1:18 PM

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/n...Page=200919581

another item that hasnt changed in the slightest in the last 30 years.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
One of the things that was apparently lost when the Daily News was shut down was their online archive. It was a pay site, but they had all sorts of stuff going back to the late 80s/early 90s available. I don't think that is available anywhere now.
I would assume NSARM would have all of that, even if it isn't yet available online.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 4:33 PM

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/n...Page=200919926

here is another article that i thought was rather interesting, considering all the boo haha that does one with the commons concerts.

my fave line in this - "i for one am all in favour of getting all the rock and rolll fans together in one place, maybe they'll kill each other off"

side question - what became of the atlantic folk festival? a folk festival like the one in edmolnton every summer would be great for halifax. it would be perfect for that corner of the hill by cbc.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyedm View Post
side question - what became of the atlantic folk festival? a folk festival like the one in edmolnton every summer would be great for halifax. it would be perfect for that corner of the hill by cbc.
Possibly superseded by the Stan Rogers Folk Festival?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure