HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 2:01 AM

Slightly off topic as it's not in Calgary.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_8179392

Carlie Ekx of Erie looks over the selection of gins at Daveco Liquors. The 102,000-square-foot store has the room for such niceties as a 7,500-bottle wine cellar, a wine tasting room and a cigar humidor. (Mark T. Osler, The Denver Post )

Henry Sawaged has been telling skeptics — especially his brother — that he is running a cathedral of booze, a wine and spirit colossus unmatched anywhere.

Finally, last month, he got framed proof. It is a certificate from Guinness World Records declaring Daveco Liquors in Thornton the largest liquor store in the world.

Guinness's pronouncement spurred an impromptu celebration at Daveco — which Sawaged opened in November 2006. It was also a vindication of sorts for Sawaged, who always dreamed of being the biggest liquor vendor on the planet.

"I kept saying this is the world's largest liquor store, and people kept saying 'You can never prove that,' " said Sawaged. "But now people know I am a man of my word."

The 102,000-square-foot Daveco is the size of most supermarkets in the metro area. It includes a customer-service area, 66 beer cooler doors, a walk-in beer cooler, a humidity-and-temperature-controlled 7,500-bottle wine cellar, a wine testing room and a cigar humidor.

There is also a sprawling kitchen and a 5,000-square-foot basement. In all, Daveco features $3 million in inventory including 9,000 types of wine, 2,400 brands of liquor and 800 different beers at the store, located at 16434 Washington St., east of Interstate 25, north of E-470.

Thirty employees help customers who have come from Wyoming, Nebraska, Montana and Utah — all attracted by Daveco's legendary status, now confirmed.

"A lot of people just want to be in the world's biggest liquor store," said store manager Ted Sutton.

The verification process demanded by Guinness was not easy, however. Daveco officials had to gather statements from architects, surveyors, producers of media commercials and have them signed, sealed and notarized.

Sawaged's staffers then had to measure the store and follow precise, specific guidelines and be accurate to a ".1th of a foot," according to Guinness. Only retail space could be measured and included in the
Henry Sawaged's store honors his dad and beats out his brother's. (Mark T. Osler, The Denver Post)
final packet of evidence sent to Guinness.

"It was a lot like a lawyer's exhibit for court," said Rosalind Frascona, Daveco executive administrator.

Sawaged — whose parents, four brothers and three sisters emigrated from Jordan in 1979 — said he started Daveco to honor his father, David, who for years ran a 900-square-foot liquor store in Thornton.

A friendly competition with his brother Issam also led to Daveco. Issam runs the 50,000-square-foot Davidson Liquors in Highlands Ranch and challenged his brother, Henry, to top him.

While Sawaged says smaller, nearby liquor stores are doing fine under Daveco's shadow, not everyone agrees.

Won Kil said Daveco has taken a chunk out of his business. "It has hurt us
A couple of customers have plenty to choose from at Daveco Liquors, which its owner says has been certified as the biggest liquor store in the world. (Mark T. Osler, The Denver Post )
a little bit," said Kil, who with his wife runs a liquor store not far from Daveco.

But the local economy also hasn't helped. "We get a lot of construction workers, and when houses aren't being built, we don't see them," Kil said.

Still, Daveco is just the tonic for a party, said Brighton's Sharon Farner. She and friend Beth Semp pushed a grocery cart full of beer and wine after a visit to Daveco recently. "It's cheaper here, and they always have a good selection," Farner said. "I always find what I want."

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 2:26 AM
National Capital Region

why is this in the waterloo forum? lol

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Oh ya, I thought of another Calgarianism, although I don't hear this as often as I used to, is people saying John Laurier or John Laurie-eh (?) for John Laurie Blvd.
I think that is more of a mistake made by people who are not originally from Calgary.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
except that Calgarians seem to speak faster. But Toronto is a different story.

It was the people from Edmonton and environs (like Stelmach) who to me had a much more distinct way of speaking in that it had a kind of built-in "hesitation" to it. It was as if the person was still learning English despite being a native speaker. My guess is that there were once so many people who didn't speak English natively in the Edmonton area that the "hesitations" became part of the accent itself.
I've observed both of those tendancies.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Or an indication that sometimes old things are just worth throwing out and starting over.

Do you wear 40 year old clothes, carefully stitched and patched over the years? Drive a 30+ year old car that requires constant maintenance?

I won't claim to have 1/10th the experience in this city that you do, so I haven't seen much of any value be torn down - I suspect the 70s/early 80s was when much of it happened here, along with the rest of the country at that time. What I have seen torn down in (for example) the east village was an absolute disgrace, and the area is going to be nothing but better for it. I couldn't imagine how much worse that place would be today if a "save the historical crack houses" campaign had been successful here. Driving through there in the mid-90s (my first real exposure to Calgary as an adult) gave me a really bad first impression of this city. Stampede Park, the event the city is best known for, is in the middle of THIS? Between that and the industrial wasteland around the airport/Deerfoot, it's no wonder so may people from out of town have a bad view of this city. Hopefully we can change that.

Sometimes it's important to learn from our history and preserve some of it (the Lougheed(sp?) building on 6th Ave comes to mind). Sometimes it's better to move on and accept that some things just aren't worth saving.
The number one loss for me is the neo-classical train station we once had. I don't care that the Calgary Tower is what eventually replaced it (certainly we can hope to hold onto that one), but the train station would not have looked out of place in Vienna or Cracow.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation