View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
New 95 59.38%
Old 35 21.88%
Neither 30 18.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:03 PM
of Canada

From the Calgary Herald - March 3

"Just as Calgary commuters are shaking off downtown detour hangovers, a new traffic headache is looming as another downtown skyscraper is taking shape in the core.

Construction is to begin in mid-March on a second office tower for Eighth Avenue Place off 5th Street S.W.

Work on the 40-storey, 850,000-square-foot west tower is estimated to wrap by the summer of 2014.

The existing 49-storey tower, comprising 1.1 million square feet of office space, was completed in early 2011 on the site of the old Penny Lane complex.

While commuters may be groaning about another downtown detour complicating their crawl home, Calgarians should see construction as a blessing.

“We should be happy — many cities would kill for that,” said Maggie Schofield, executive director of the Calgary Downtown Association BRZ.

“The fact that we have that kind of growing in our downtown is good. It’s a good headache to have.”

Total office demand in Calgary’s downtown commercial real estate market hit a high level in 2011 — more than four times the 10-year historical average.

Eighth Avenue Place’s project manager Martyn Wesley says the road closures are unavoidable, but the main level is already well underway.

“There’s going to be inconveniences for people,” said project manager Martyn Wesley.

“This kind of building is a difficult building to build. We’ll probably be delivering materials at night and on Saturdays.”

As a result of the construction, 8th Avenue is going to be reduced to one eastbound lane between 4th and 5th streets S.W. Traffic on 5th Street will be reduced to two southbound lanes.

Motorists will be allowed to turn left onto 9th Avenue, but drivers are warned the area is expected to be extremely congested during rush hours.

The Plus-15 walkway leading to the Centennial Parkade and the Plains Midstream Plaza will be closed during construction.

For pedestrians, the sidewalk on the south side of 8th Avenue will be closed throughout construction.

Parkade access is expected to remain open.

Ald. John Mar, whose ward includes west downtown, says the upcoming traffic tie-ups are a growing pain Calgarians have to get used to.

“It’s a double-edged sword, because on one hand it signifies a return of economic prosperity, but on the other hand it represents a continued inconvenience for motorists. But you can’t make an omelette without breaking some eggs.”

Mar said that motorists eventually get used to changing their routes, such as when construction on The Bow tower saw a block of 6th Avenue S.E. shut down, displacing 20,000 motorists a day."
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:36 PM
Website Manager

Here's the second tower (on the left).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:07 PM

Honestly, I really do not understand this borderline fetish that Calgary has with twin buildings. And BTW building one shorter than the other or juxtaposing the one perpendicular to its neighbor doesn't make it any less twin-like (nice try, though..not. ) ; so I'm kinda failing to see what any architect who seems bent on creating either/or would be trying to accomplish.
Calgary seems to be light years ahead of almost every other "big-skylined" city worldwide in this regard. IMO they should've kept this beauty a single structure and stop wasting prime real estate erecting duplicates. It generates the perception that architects up there have locked themselves inside the very same boxes that many of us here would like to see them think beyond.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:49 PM

When most of the construction is by pension funds and the like, costs are a huge factor, so twins are the way to go. Just be glad we aren't getting 3s and 4s much anymore!

If we had more huge companies that had work forces at a relatively constant size I'd bet there would be more purpose built single towers, but for commodity towers Calgary is doing fairly well quality wise.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:30 PM
Vancouver Moderator

It's not like they are twinning an ugly building
From the street, with the smaller one facing the opposite direction it should look sufficiently different.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 8:35 PM
Construction Enthusiast

People should also note that the second tower isn't quite just a shorter version turned 180 degrees. The roofline is actually different as well.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 9:44 PM

Twins are built here to mitigate the risks of building in a city that has been very prone to boom and bust cycles. Instead of having 1 tower with 2million sqft get stopped halfway through when the economy goes bad, they build 1.2million square feet, lease it and use the money to build the second 800 000 square feet.

I'm not a fan of the twin thing, but with this project, it does work well. It will still look kinda silly with Bankers Hall, EAP and Husky all being the most visible towers from the south, and all of them as twins. Oh well, it's going to get built, so time to just enjoy watching it go up.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
People should also note that the second tower isn't quite just a shorter version turned 180 degrees. The roofline is actually different as well.
It looks pretty much identical to the first tower, what's the difference?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:36 PM

plus having all those twins has helped to build one hell of a dense skyline. two of everything has its way of doing that.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:48 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
It looks pretty much identical to the first tower, what's the difference?
Follow the line of the roof slope on the first tower. From the lowest part of the roof: Shallow up, steep up, then medium up, then shallow up. On the second tower, the last plane slopes down instead of going up some more.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:16 PM
Editor

Couldn't agree more.....Malcolm Tucker summed it up perfectly though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Honestly, I really do not understand this borderline fetish that Calgary has with twin buildings. And BTW building one shorter than the other or juxtaposing the one perpendicular to its neighbor doesn't make it any less twin-like (nice try, though..not. ) ; so I'm kinda failing to see what any architect who seems bent on creating either/or would be trying to accomplish.
Calgary seems to be light years ahead of almost every other "big-skylined" city worldwide in this regard. IMO they should've kept this beauty a single structure and stop wasting prime real estate erecting duplicates. It generates the perception that architects up there have locked themselves inside the very same boxes that many of us here would like to see them think beyond.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 10:35 PM
of Canada

The crane is going up today.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
This building looks way nicer IRL than the renderings. I love it when that happens
I agree. I wasn't so sure about the renderings, but love the finished product.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 3:44 PM

i couldn't agree more. this building is absolutely gorgeous. the renders never looked as nice. also the tower looks taller irl than the renders portrayed. imo this second tower is one of the very rare times where i feel it will actually complement the taller twin. i just wish it was going to be the taller twin.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 3:16 AM
surely you agree with me

shouldn't all these single building threads be in the 'projects and construction' sub forum?

isn't that what its there for?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 4:04 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
shouldn't all these single building threads be in the 'projects and construction' sub forum?

isn't that what its there for?
This one's completed, so no.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:31 AM
surely you agree with me

but the vast majority of the 50 pages here was a construction thread....just like the others in this sub-forum....i guess i dont understand why this section is used to discuss buildings like this....we have local sections and construction sections for that....in my opinion this section should be about more general conversation about architecture and buildings or else it could be filled up up with hundreds of threads about every non de script skyscraper in the world....like this one.

why would this building be here and not all the other skyscrapers in Calgary as an example?...what makes it warrant a place here but not the others?.....is it so we can all go 'ooh aah' or is there something specific we are supposed to discuss in this sub-forum.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 9:09 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
but the vast majority of the 50 pages here was a construction thread....just like the others in this sub-forum....i guess i dont understand why this section is used to discuss buildings like this....we have local sections and construction sections for that....in my opinion this section should be about more general conversation about architecture and buildings or else it could be filled up up with hundreds of threads about every non de script skyscraper in the world....like this one.

why would this building be here and not all the other skyscrapers in Calgary as an example?...what makes it warrant a place here but not the others?.....is it so we can all go 'ooh aah' or is there something specific we are supposed to discuss in this sub-forum.
Actually this is the place for a thread on any and every building (particularly towers). I tend to find them really interesting and they usually have information in them that you don't find elsewhere or wouldn't think to look for. Some get more replies than others (particularly the marquis architecture or supertall towers), but that doesn't make them any less useful.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 9:53 PM

Calgary's proliferation of twins is as much a product of the city's economic volatility as its economic exuberance. How many cities build 2M sq ft office towers? Phasing development over two towers de-risks investment but it also signals confidence that the demand will eventually materialize. In most cities the decision would not be to build a single 2M sq ft office tower vs. a 1.2M and a 0.8M sq ft tower. It would be to build a single 1.2M sq ft tower (or a 1M sq ft tower) or nothing.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 11:33 PM
JayCortese

Last edited by JayCortese; Sep 8, 2019 at 11:04 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture