HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Dock at Wreck Beach and install an outdoor Escalator where the stairs are. (Kidding of course).

Or blast a cave at the foot of a cliff and make a dock there, with an elevator to the top. (kidding again).

ORrrr... a Gondola from the foot of one of the cliffs. (totally kidding)

I'm sure they could arrange with Translink to run a community Shuttle from Jericho Beach to UBC.
Frankly Jericho seems just to far to be palatble. Wreck beach is a non starter for the community, but how about a spot near Acadia road and Marine drive? The cliff is still there, but it look like a distance you could run a reasonable elevator (or better yet, extension of the UBC skytrain to the docks).

As for the gondola, why not? We've talked about it for SFU, why not UBC? It would be enitrely possible to tailor capacity to the size of the ferries, and it actually shouldn't be terribly expensive. The Portland line only cost $57 million and that was mostly in the terminals, one of which is thorughouly urban and the other is esentially in the side of a cliff face; we certainly wouldn't have to do anything so complicated for UBC. It'd also be a nice demo for SFU if that ever becomes a real project, being shorter, simpler and needing lower capacity (as long as we don't do anything crazy like run ferries direct from downtown).

Last edited by Bureaucromancer; Jul 17, 2009 at 5:31 AM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 2:15 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Was planing on taking the Coastal Link ferries over to bowen island this weekend. So I called them up to ask if I can bring my dog as their website is pretty weak. Conversation went like this.
Me (listening to them pick up phone and two guys talking about some hot bitch that was on the boat yesterday, conversation lasted 20-30seconds)
Them Hello
Me Is this Coatal Link Ferries?
Them Yes, what do for you want?
Me Can I bring my dog onboard?
Them how big is it?
Me about 80lbs
Them No, well I guess you can leave him on the deck
Me Can I stay on the deck with him
Them Sure don't see why you'd want to.
Me (getting frustated) Do you charge extra for the dog?
Them, Don't think so, but you can if you want.
Me Thank you.

Well I won't be using them, I've decided to just stick with BC Ferries and park in the lot. Maybe next time if I don't bring my dog I'll give GIWT a try but I won't even think about using Coastal link again. Which kind of sucks as the location is very convenient for me.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Was planing on taking the Coastal Link ferries over to bowen island this weekend. So I called them up to ask if I can bring my dog as their website is pretty weak. Conversation went like this.
Me (listening to them pick up phone and two guys talking about some hot bitch that was on the boat yesterday, conversation lasted 20-30seconds)
Them Hello
Me Is this Coatal Link Ferries?
Them Yes, what do for you want?
Me Can I bring my dog onboard?
Them how big is it?
Me about 80lbs
Them No, well I guess you can leave him on the deck
Me Can I stay on the deck with him
Them Sure don't see why you'd want to.
Me (getting frustated) Do you charge extra for the dog?
Them, Don't think so, but you can if you want.
Me Thank you.
Not withstanding the above conversation where the issue is today's customer service (we go to Bowen regularly on our sail boat and the management ensures people treat visitors with respect), we were recently in Auckland and ferries ARE the way to get around

The issue is how do you make these ferries part of a regional transit system....$25,00 round trip is to much even if they are able to replicate the HK Octopus pass system which I think would be the way to go here in the lower mainland. In the end the false creek ferries, the sky train / Rav line, buses, Bowen BC Ferry, Bowen private ferries, even Gibbon's should all be part of the same pass system. Rapid transit doesn't have to be government. It just has to be rapid, accessible, & reasonably priced.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 5:51 AM

I may be overly worried about things like this, but my fear of bringing a dog would be the waves washing into the boat if the wind is rough and the boat starts bouncing on each swell. I rode it and it was fine - INSIDE. But I would have hated to have had a dog outside the way the boat was bouncing repeatedly. I would have been worried that he would freak out and end up harming himself in some fashion.

And that was a sunny, very nice day in which there just happened to be a steady breeze over the water.

If you can drive to Horseshoe Bay and use the parking, I'd do it. It's just a lot smoother, and therefore safer, for your dog.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 2:35 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Not to mention at Horseshoe bay it's only $9.20 return per person instead of $25. To be honest though I am willing to pay the extra money to have saved the time and to help out a little business.
I could've understood if they said no dogs as it might affect other passengers. The whole attitude though really left a sour taste in my mouth.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure