HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
My wife works for a division of one of the schedule one bank and they've stopped all expansion plans for BC until the next provincial election with the hopes of the HST being kept. If it's not about half her divison will be given the choice to move to Calgary or severance.
If the HST wasn't enough to curtail plans, the NDP (if elected) plans to reintroduce a capital tax specifically aimed at banks and credit unions.

Quote:
It’s good politics, playing to the core with a spending proposal that might garner wider appeal. The devil is in the details, and therein the bad policy. Mr. Dix casually described how his “non-repayable grant program” would be financed, “through reinstating a minimum tax on financial institutions.”

Wait a minute. An Adrian Dix NDP government would impose a tax on banks and credit unions in B.C., in order to pay for student grants? Sort of, said NDP finance critic Bruce Ralston, on whom it fell Wednesday to explain the whole deal.

The party does want a return to the old days, when companies with operations in B.C. were hit with capital taxes, applied along with regular corporate taxes. The corporate capital tax (CCT) was introduced in the province in the 1970s, under an NDP government led by Dave Barrett. It became a cash cow for successive provincial governments and another impediment to business. By the late 1990s, the CCT was dumping $460-million into government coffers, as general revenue. After Mr. Campbell’s Liberals took office, the tax was applied to financial institutions only. It was phased out entirely in 2010.

Mr. Ralston says a revived capital tax would apply to the big banks that operate in B.C. and would “touch some of the larger credit unions as well.” But he can’t say with certainty how much the tax would raise. It would “not be punitive,” he said, but acknowledged the banks will not likely thrilled at the prospect of paying more.

“We have not seen the provincial NDP’s proposal on this issue,” Canadian Bankers Association spokesperson Maura Drew-Lytle said Wednesday, “but taxing capital would discourage new capital investment along with the economic growth and job creation that such investment would bring to the province. Implementing a tax on bank capital will also put B.C. at a competitive disadvantage in comparison to other provinces such as Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, where there is no capital tax on financial institutions.”
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...ay-free-money/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 7:31 AM

So they released the info of what the liberal pamphlet they spent almost 800grand on and then shredded had. BUT what I noticed was the interesting response of Adrian Dix, it was incredibly neutral as far as the actual HST is concerned and leads me to believe that the NDP will try to bring it back. Hopefully properly this time with voter input where it isnt overshadowed by a incredible corporate tax cut and a tax rise for the rest.

This imo is good and gives me more faith in the NDP, I dont think many people are against the HST, it is overall a good move, what people were against(including me, a no to hst voter) was the implementation without public consultation and the criminal tax shift that the liberals tried to sneak past its constituents.

Anyways listening to Dix I cant come to any other conclusion then him positioning him self to bringing back HST with proper consultation this time. Makes sense to me and is a good sign.

Barring a miracle I will be voting NDP in the next election, its time for change and for a swing back to more social and progressive policies that benefit the quality of life of the majority.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 10:10 PM

the PST bill has been introduced. It looks like there are very small changes, like online filing, it's largely intact.

Less HST credits to low income people. in order to save the tax on things like haircuts.

Are they re-introducing the separate tax on alcohol in restaurants?

And I suppose I'll have to start paying the PST on gifts and purchases from out of province again.

Quote:
The new legislation offers business a more streamlined tax regime – with online filing options and a reduced regulatory burden to register, collect and remit the tax. However there are no measures to lessen the burden on families.

“The real unfortunate part of going back to the HST was that people who are harmed most are those in the lower income category,” he said. Once the PST is back in place, the government will also eliminate the $230-per-person HST tax credits and personal tax exemptions that were part of the harmonization package. The less-generous PST tax credit will be restored.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2432375/

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post

Anyways listening to Dix I cant come to any other conclusion then him positioning him self to bringing back HST with proper consultation this time.
Well, that would be interesting.

But can he withstand bill vander zalm ready to re-emerge from his crypt?

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 6:17 AM

i was reading comments on yahoo - some freaking morons on there - one of them says thanks to the HST the entrances and exits on the freeway have been moved and unless you are a regular user of the freeway you get lost

wtf?

only in bc do we get such idiots

people actually believe the HST was brought into to fix the port mann?

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 6:56 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
only in bc do we get such idiots
A quick scan of any comments section on any article anywhere will disprove that.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Anyways listening to Dix I cant come to any other conclusion then him positioning him self to bringing back HST with proper consultation this time. Makes sense to me and is a good sign.
In what way would this not be an example of the rankest, most obscene kind of political hypocrisy and opportunism?

Last edited by IanS; May 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
In what way would this not be an example of the rankest, most obscene kind of political hypocrisy and opportunism?
The NDP loves them some taxes.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 8:21 PM

Quote:

It's politics 101. If the NDP can gain greater acceptance of what IMO is better public policy, more power to 'em. (maybe increasing HST rebates and a dog and pony 'listening' tour?)

Just look at the ham-fisted way the libs introduced the HST. Or what both parties promised and actually did with translink.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
It's politics 101.
Perhaps we're saying the same thing in different ways, but...

Quote:
If the NDP can gain greater acceptance of what IMO is better public policy, more power to 'em. (maybe increasing HST rebates and a dog and pony 'listening' tour?)
I agree the HST was a better tax.

However, if Dix actually felt that the HST was the wrong way to go, and took that position, I'm fine with that. I disagree, but I respect an opposing viewpoint.

If Dix felt the tax was a good idea, but needed some changes, I'm fine with that too.

However, to deliberately oppose what you believe to be the better policy for political gain, only to turn around and incorporate it later on, represents, IMO, much of what is reprehensible in politics. Politics 101, perhaps, but none the less repugnant for it.

Quote:
Just look at the ham-fisted way the libs introduced the HST. Or what both parties promised and actually did with translink.
Oh, I don't defend the Liberals and I certainly don't mean to suggest that the NDP has cornered the market on hypocrisy. I was responding to a poster who seemed to be expressing admiration for Dix's hypocrisy.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 4:53 AM

Quote:

I agree the HST was a better tax.

However, if Dix actually felt that the HST was the wrong way to go, and took that position, I'm fine with that. I disagree, but I respect an opposing viewpoint.
I couldn't be fine with that. IMO a VAT-style HST allows govts to raise funds for social programs with the least amount of distotions to the economy. If Dix dislikes the HST because 'it hurts working families', i'll need more detail than that.

Quote:
However, to deliberately oppose what you believe to be the better policy for political gain, only to turn around and incorporate it later on, represents, IMO, much of what is reprehensible in politics. Politics 101, perhaps, but none the less repugnant for it.
For a politician once he or she is in power to take another look at a policy like the HST which has a lot of objective good to it and reconsider is a good trait, IMO. Inflexibility as a rule of thumb doesn't lead to good governance.

If you want to talk about reprehensible politics, see Bill Vander Zalm. i'd also add the pitfalls of direct democracy to that.

Quote:
Oh, I don't defend the Liberals and I certainly don't mean to suggest that the NDP has cornered the market on hypocrisy. I was responding to a poster who seemed to be expressing admiration for Dix's hypocrisy.
The liberals lost the public narrative to others whipping up hysteria and misinformation. i see adrian dix more seeing the crowd move and moving to the front of the group.

I'll leave it to him to justify/reconcile it to his supporters if he decides to endorse a good public policy move.

Of course, this presumes that he wants the HST. if he rejects it, I'm sure the NDP will find a way to obtain a fair tax system, fund social programs/transit and maintain a thriving economy another way.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 5:03 AM

Reading the vander zalm link, this quote is priceless:

Quote:
As for Finance Minister Kevin Falcon calling the PST a "stupid tax", Vander Zalm has a cutting rebuttal.

"It got more votes than he did so I don't know which is stupid, the minister or the tax," he says.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...4/facepalm.jpg

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Do you understand what the difference between the HST and a tax shift is??????

Had the liberals introduced the HST and then proceeded to adjust the rates and exemptions to match the spirit of the PST/GST there would be no problem. Later if they so felt like it they could try and shift the tax rates around to accomplish their goals of a tax shift, that is if the voters would support it.

Dix was never ever against the HST, he was against the liberals form of the HST. Unfortunately the liberals tried to confuse the public so much that they managed to successfully change the definition of what HST means.

Last edited by cornholio; May 16, 2012 at 6:28 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately the liberals tried to confuse the public so much that they managed to successfully change the definition of what HST means.
What does that mean?

I also see a possible in for the BC NDP for re-introducing the HST with manitoba, if Manitoba's NDP govt introduce an HST.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:08 AM

Woops double post. These forums lately log me off every 3 or 4 minutes for no reason. No idea why. Then it half posts and then tells me "You have no permissions to do this."

Oh wells.

Last edited by GMasterAres; May 16, 2012 at 7:23 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:22 AM

My predictions and we'll double check at least the first one in a year I gues:

1) PST will go into place and prices WON'T drop because most retailers are going to trick consumers using quick scaled price adjustment. AKA increase your prices by 10% due to requiring to switch back to PST (extra costs of course) then lowering them after by 7%.

People think the price reduction is a result of the PST and their fears of the HST were confirmed but because they forgot 5 minutes ago what the original prices were, they don't clue into the fact the new prices are actually +3% higher than when the HST was in place.

They also don't realize that the original HST "cost" was higher than with the PST so they really haven't gotten anywhere except a quick double price increase due to the tax confusion.

It's going to happen, you can bet on it.

2) HST will be back within a decade. It will be tweaked and adjusted, but it will make its way back. The world is and has been moving to the HST style tax system and Canada will eventually force it down our throats much like the accounting changes that were over the past several years forced through to have us confirm to international standards.

It will happen. If it doesn't in 10 years, I'd change this prediction to be "BC will be bankrupt in 10 years." It's basically 1 or the other in my opinion.

And these 2 predictions are of course my opinions. So if you disagree completely, you're entitled. We'll see about #1 in a year though.

I hope I'm wrong. I just have very little faith in our business sector these days.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Do you understand what the difference between the HST and a tax shift is??????

Had the liberals introduced the HST and then proceeded to adjust the rates and exemptions to match the spirit of the PST/GST there would be no problem. Later if they so felt like it they could try and shift the tax rates around to accomplish their goals of a tax shift, that is if the voters would support it.

Dix was never ever against the HST, he was against the liberals form of the HST. Unfortunately the liberals tried to confuse the public so much that they managed to successfully change the definition of what HST means.
That's an interesting bit of revisionism. Fortunately, a few moments with google dispel it nicely.

If you can point me towards any public statements in which Dix indicated that we should keep the HST, but make some adjustments to "match the spirit of the PST / GST" (whatever that means), I'd be happy to take a look at them. However, based on my recollection, he and the NDP happily joined in Bill Vander Zalm's populist campaign to have the tax repealed. (In fairness, I did find that bit of irony enjoyable.)

Having said that, it's entirely possible that the NDP will bring in some form of HST (albeit, likely under a different name) after some dog and pony show public consultations. I don't disagree with your prediction. Where we disagree is your admiration for Dix's hypocrisy.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
I couldn't be fine with that. IMO a VAT-style HST allows govts to raise funds for social programs with the least amount of distotions to the economy. If Dix dislikes the HST because 'it hurts working families', i'll need more detail than that.
By "fine", I don't mean that I agree with it; merely that I respect a principled opposing viewpoint.

Quote:
For a politician once he or she is in power to take another look at a policy like the HST which has a lot of objective good to it and reconsider is a good trait, IMO. Inflexibility as a rule of thumb doesn't lead to good governance.
Agreed. If, after getting into power, Dix looks a little closer at the issue and comes to the conclusion that his earlier position was misguided, then that's fine too. Again, the situation I was commenting on was the earlier poster's expression of admiration for Dix's perceived hypocrisy.

Quote:
If you want to talk about reprehensible politics, see Bill Vander Zalm. i'd also add the pitfalls of direct democracy to that.
Absolutely. The spectacle of Vander Zalm and Dix joining forces to have the HST repealed was like watching the attack of two political zombies, risen from the grave to eat our brains.

Quote:
The liberals lost the public narrative to others whipping up hysteria and misinformation. i see adrian dix more seeing the crowd move and moving to the front of the group.
He certainly abetted and took advantage of the hysteria for political gain.

Quote:
Of course, this presumes that he wants the HST. if he rejects it, I'm sure the NDP will find a way to obtain a fair tax system, fund social programs/transit and maintain a thriving economy another way.
Well, that's easy.. just tax the rich.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 5:49 PM

I wonder if the Federal government's standing offer of a cash incentive for a change to the HST will still apply if BC tries to do it again.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 2:57 AM
Registered Loser

^man, we lost out on $6 billion. fuckin' bill vander zalm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
1) PST will go into place and prices WON'T drop because most retailers are going to trick consumers using quick scaled price adjustment. AKA increase your prices by 10% due to requiring to switch back to PST (extra costs of course) then lowering them after by 7%.
this is what i don't get. what retailers? 99% of things were not affected by the hst. i don't tend to count food as "retail" but, so maybe you're talking about haircuts?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics