HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

View Poll Results: How Will You Vote During the May, 2013 BC Provincial Election?
NDP 20 21.28%
Liberal 48 51.06%
BCCP (Conservative) 5 5.32%
Green 5 5.32%
Other 4 4.26%
Undecided 12 12.77%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 12:45 AM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Well it doesn't seem to have caused an outrage, however unethical that was.

I don't know what to say really. BC politics is just begging for a new centrist voice that can get away from both parties' baggage of the past, and yet none really exists as of this point.
It's pretty much always been like that in BC.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkelley View Post
It's pretty much always been like that in BC.
Yup. I so wish there was a real Liberal party to vote for. These BC Liberals aren't liberal at all, but I have a certain distrust of the NDP, and the Greens don't have a chance (I live in Christy Clark's riding). Just don't know who to vote for, new to the province and just not sure I know enough, even if I know some.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yup. I so wish there was a real Liberal party to vote for. These BC Liberals aren't liberal at all, but I have a certain distrust of the NDP, and the Greens don't have a chance (I live in Christy Clark's riding). Just don't know who to vote for, new to the province and just not sure I know enough, even if I know some.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism

Cheers

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 4:57 AM

Suzanne Anton lost her bid to be the BC Liberal candidiate in Vancouver-Quilchena. It will be interesting to see if Sam Sullivan can win the nomiantion in False Creek over Lorne Mayencourt.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 8:27 PM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Perhaps you should consider spoiling your ballot. That's what I'll be doing. I consider spoiling your ballot to be participating in democracy rather than not voting at all.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:
I consider spoiling your ballot to be participating in democracy rather than not voting at all.
How's that?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 10:22 PM

The NDP and greens scare me a bit but the liberals are corrupt and I would have to be really ignorant to vote for those crooks. The fact that Dix was a MP in my brothers riding and helped him with a issue a few years ago and this Christmas actually sent a hand signed Christmas card to him (i kid you not) seals the deal for me. I will be voting NDP.

I still cant believe the proportional representation initiative didnt go through, that really makes me sad...who the hell voted against it anyways?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 12:15 AM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
How's that?
Because that way you're still participating even by giving all parties the big middle finger. They tally all the spoiled ballots in the official results.

*Plus, think of the smile you'll put on the face of the unsuspecting vote-counter when you amuse them with an off-colour quip or some such like.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 3:39 AM

I once spoiled my ballot for similar reasons, but today I am older and slightly wiser, and I disagree with your reasoning. Spoiling your ballot is not participating. It's ignoring your civic responsibility to help select your government. You don't have to love any of the choices, but you still have a responsibility to choose.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Because that way you're still participating even by giving all parties the big middle finger. They tally all the spoiled ballots in the official results.

*Plus, think of the smile you'll put on the face of the unsuspecting vote-counter when you amuse them with an off-colour quip or some such like.
I don't think I'm going to spoil my ballot, I don't really think spoiled ballots effect government policy at all, they don't care about them and they don't convey information about why you're upset and what they should do. No, I think I'm going to vote against Christy. It would be a harder decision if I had a less well known MP, but I've seen and heard enough of Christy Clark specifically to know that I'm not a fan. I'll read up on her opponents and see which would make the best MP and make a decision on that basis alone, since I have no particular allegiance to any of the parties.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Quite frankly, if you do not think any of the choices are satisfactory, then you should truly participate and either put yourself up for election or engage with a candidate and try to shape their views. Blaming others for failing to appeal to you is simple laziness.

Spoiling a ballot is essentially saying "I do not care about the outcome", and that is the exact opposite of participation.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 4:33 PM

Quote:
I don't think I'm going to spoil my ballot, I don't really think spoiled ballots effect government policy at all, they don't care about them and they don't convey information about why you're upset and what they should do. No, I think I'm going to vote against Christy. It would be a harder decision if I had a less well known MP, but I've seen and heard enough of Christy Clark specifically to know that I'm not a fan. I'll read up on her opponents and see which would make the best MP and make a decision on that basis alone, since I have no particular allegiance to any of the parties.
Why not vote for the Greens then? If you don't think your vote will affect the outcome and yet support the Green's policies, show your support.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 4:34 PM

I sure hope everyone's "MP" references are a typo, since of course our provincial reps are MLAs.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I sure hope everyone's "MP" references are a typo, since of course our provincial reps are MLAs.
Thanks for this, a important distinction and I my self am guilty of making this typo.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why not vote for the Greens then? If you don't think your vote will affect the outcome and yet support the Green's policies, show your support.
I've voted for Greens in the past, but I'll have to see how strong my candidate is relative to the NDP candidate. That will decide it for me. I'm certainly open to voting Green. Sorry about writing MP when of course it is MLA >.<

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 6:03 AM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
Quite frankly, if you do not think any of the choices are satisfactory, then you should truly participate and either put yourself up for election or engage with a candidate and try to shape their views. Blaming others for failing to appeal to you is simple laziness.

Spoiling a ballot is essentially saying "I do not care about the outcome", and that is the exact opposite of participation.
Well you're entitled to your opinion.

I don't routinely spoil my ballot. In fact I may end up voting after all but at this point, I'm uninspired. Does this make me lazy? Fine....

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 6:05 AM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
You're absolutely right, nobody notices spoiled ballots. The only person that will, is you.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 7:16 AM

Citizen Sam clinches the BC Liberal nomination for Vancouver-False Creek:
http://www.cknw.com/news/vancouver/s...spx?ID=1893215

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 3:12 AM

I think I'm gonna write in a new candidate this time around... spoil my ballot with a little fun. Santa Claus, anyone? Aww who am I kidding.. can't waste a vote.

I can't bring myself to vote NDP or Liberal, as they both suck. Unfortunately, everyone else will - as usual - swing from the Liberal back to the NDP forgetting that it's just the same old crooks who put us in the tank last time around.

Let's start the bets on how badly the Liberals lose.. and how much of a majority the NDP end up with, shall we? It's almost inevitable at this point.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 3:24 AM
testify

considering the ndp has been running vancouver for most of the last decade, i don't see why people are so scared.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics