HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 4:09 PM

I don't believe for a second the design quality of TCF is better than IGF...maybe one new side perhaps, and even that side has narrow concourses.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 4:14 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

I think IGF looks great on TV. Probably the best looking of the new generation of CFL stadiums although without a doubt the remaining NFL-sized venues in the league (BC Place/Commonwealth) have a certain grandeur that is hard to match.

The issue with the empty seats is that the Bombers mysteriously price end zone seats higher than the clearly superior upper deck sections. I'm grateful that they do it because I can get a decent seat for cheap, but yeah, I always thought it was weird... you'd think they'd want to fill the lower bowl to make it look good for TV. For late season games with crappy weather, looking at the endzones reminds me of watching Argos games at Skydome when the place was 2/3 empty.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Sorry, but the IGF is a fantastic stadium for watching football. The atmosphere is great. You don't like the location but that's the way it is. Let's celebrate the fact that we have a good stadium and not do the usual Winnipeg navel-gazing self-hatred routine. I've already explained to you several times why the soccer team will be playing in IGF. That's where it's going to happen for better or for worse so let's hope its a success. As I said, they don't need 20,000 fans for a successful venture at that level of soccer. It's not THE Premier League. It's the Canadian Premier League.
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
To this day, I will never understand how we got an amateur stadium architect to design something so important when other teams clearly made better choices in their design.

The optics just look so bad on tv, and if I were the Bombers I would give away a huge amount of tickets to those zones. My fave seats in IFG are mostly all upper deck, and watching from the corners is just dreadful.

Out of the modern football stadiums I've been to lately (Mosaic, TCF Bank) the difference in design quality is stark.
I've been to those and disagree. Winnipeg had a budget, and I think within that budget, IGF delivers for sure. Great visibility from anywhere, better concourse design than mosaic. Looks nice also. Mosaic is a great place too, but also cost $70M more.

What I concede is that perhaps the whole thing shouldnt be a full loop, but that's nitpicking, because it's probably cheaper to build all the way around than higher if one endzone remained open. Again, $$$. For $200M, IGF is quite good.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan