HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 8:25 AM

I agree 100% with you on this one Sponge, we need more public events for events such as new years.

Why not make better use of our new Public Plaza at the New Convention centre?

And yeah, the homeless argument gets a little tiresome, for that argument can be used for any non essential expenditure, but those non essential expenditures, whether they are on parks, museums, gardens, lighting effects or public celebrations, bring life and atmosphere to a city. They create business and often come to define a city.

Anyways, on a funny note, half asleep right now for a split second i thought the title of this thread was "new sears in vancouver." My jaw dropped for a second that something was going to be done to our big turd toilet bowl right smack in the middle of our commercial / entertainment / cultural district / major transit exchange.

Oh well, just wishful thinking I guess.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 10:19 AM

LOLL.....fireworks going off buildings, that would scare a lot of people in New York.

As for the last video in Vancouver, wow that's quite a lot of people on Granville...almost looks like the Olympics all over again. Clearly, a testament to people needing an actual public event to celebrate at (as well as more things for people to do in this city, for that matter).

I had a friend over this past holiday. His words: "The only thing you can do in Vancouver at night is grocery shopping."

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I agree 100% with you on this one Sponge, we need more public events for events such as new years.

Why not make better use of our new Public Plaza at the New Convention centre?

And yeah, the homeless argument gets a little tiresome, for that argument can be used for any non essential expenditure, but those non essential expenditures, whether they are on parks, museums, gardens, lighting effects or public celebrations, bring life and atmosphere to a city. They create business and often come to define a city.

Anyways, on a funny note, half asleep right now for a split second i thought the title of this thread was "new sears in vancouver." My jaw dropped for a second that something was going to be done to our big turd toilet bowl right smack in the middle of our commercial / entertainment / cultural district / major transit exchange.

Oh well, just wishful thinking I guess.

The convention centre plaza would be a nice area, but I think it would be more ideal to have something more original that isn't already done on a yearly basis (Canada Day at the VCC) like at the east end of False Creek towards Science World or even Robson Square and the whole Robson/Granville intersection precinct.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 4:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
IMO the big wild card for NYE events in vancouver is precipitation. It's one thing to be cold like new york and london, (and australia is warm in December), but vancouver has a good likelihood of rain at that time.

I'd rather put limited public event money into canada day in july (which amazingly, we didn't have regularly until recently) than an event in december with feast/famine chances of attendance.

And amazingly, this make me in agreement with whatnext. Who knows - with an HST, maybe we will have that extra funding for an NYE celebration...
rain is frequent in London too you know....

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
there were dozens of choices but nothing for the general public

did u see each city as it hit midnight on CNN? people plan trips to do attend these - its great for tourism if not us
Isn't jlousa a member of the general public? Realistically what is the potential tourism market for a one night event in the middle of winter in Vancouver?

Most of the American celebrations are funded by private sponsorships. I heartily commend all forumers who'd like to start up a society this week and begin soliciting for donations for next New Year's Eves' event.

As a taxpayer of Vancouver, not so keen on the idea of my money going for a great party for residents of North Van, Richmond, Surrey etc. Especially when kids playing soccer are having to go squat in the bushes in 'cause we can't afford to keep our washrooms open.

Quote:
and Vancouver gets hooligans climbing on things

Video Link
Maybe that's the reason nobody wants to organize anything. The great Vancouver yokel phenomenon.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 7:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Isn't jlousa a member of the general public? Realistically what is the potential tourism market for a one night event in the middle of winter in Vancouver?

Most of the American celebrations are funded by private sponsorships. I heartily commend all forumers who'd like to start up a society this week and begin soliciting for donations for next New Year's Eves' event.

As a taxpayer of Vancouver, not so keen on the idea of my money going for a great party for residents of North Van, Richmond, Surrey etc. Especially when kids playing soccer are having to go squat in the bushes in 'cause we can't afford to keep our washrooms open.

Maybe that's the reason nobody wants to organize anything. The great Vancouver yokel phenomenon.
Give it a rest for gawd's sake.....your 'go out and do something about it" routine is getting tiresome. No one is saying blow the budget, but an aknowledgment to the year's end would have been nice, even if it had just be firing up the couldren at Jack Poole Plaza.

Cities have budgets for cultural and public events, entire departments are devoted to them. It's both about giving back and promoting the city and fostering creativity.

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/cultural/

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
rain is frequent in London too you know....
With five times the population, I figure they'll have more hardcores who are willing to stand out in the rain to draw from.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Give it a rest for gawd's sake.....your 'go out and do something about it" routine is getting tiresome.
Always love it when people tell people with opposing views to "give it a rest".

If you live in North Vancouver, why not pressure your elected representatives to spend your tax money on a New Years Eve party? I'm also mystified why someone would take such great exception to being asked to actually contribute to the development of something they apparently so desperately want?

Edited to add: I have subscriptions to a number of arts organizations, and used to donate to the Art Gallery before they pissed me off with their edifice complex, and don't think that's an onerous burden to be asked to support something I consider worthwhile. They're not "rights".

Last edited by whatnext; Jan 2, 2011 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 8:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Always love it when people tell people with opposing views to "give it a rest".

If you live in North Vancouver, why not pressure your elected representatives to spend your tax money on a New Years Eve party? I'm also mystified why someone would take such great exception to being asked to actually contribute to the development of something they apparently so desperately want?

Edited to add: I have subscriptions to a number of arts organizations, and used to donate to the Art Gallery before they pissed me off with their edifice complex, and don't think that's an onerous burden to be asked to support something I consider worthwhile. They're not "rights".
Culture Plan 2008 - 2018

10 Year Vision

Over the next ten years, the core vision of the Culture Plan is to develop, Friday, April 11, 2008 the City of Vancouver to the benefit of our citizens, our creative community, our business sector and our visitors.

Because culture is the cornerstone upon which vibrant resilient, competitive and creative industries are built, the City is committed to supporting the growth and diversity of cultural activities and offerings in Vancouver.

............besides i did pay bloody taxes there for 17 years.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 9:30 PM

cities have budgets for these kind of things

vancouver has three local ski hills which happen to attract tourists in the middle of winter - just saying

seattle attracts many people every new years and they have the same winter weather as we do

anyway again for the only major city of the west coast of canada you would think something would happen

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 9:45 PM

Quote:
cities have budgets for these kind of things
And we spent ours on the Olympics, maybe?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 10:02 PM

Well, in all fairness the City of Vancouver is spending $7-million on its 125th anniversary celebrations this year - with a big event in early April and a few more in the summer....ideally though, you would think they would have included New Years Eve as part of the celebrations.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Culture Plan 2008 - 2018

10 Year Vision

Over the next ten years, the core vision of the Culture Plan is to develop, Friday, April 11, 2008 the City of Vancouver to the benefit of our citizens, our creative community, our business sector and our visitors.

Because culture is the cornerstone upon which vibrant resilient, competitive and creative industries are built, the City is committed to supporting the growth and diversity of cultural activities and offerings in Vancouver.

............besides i did pay bloody taxes there for 17 years.
The link to the plan is here:
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/cultura...htm#innovation

Admirable sentiments about fostering partnerships, encouraging philanthropy and making use of city assets, but not much about producing events. Rather it seems to advocate, as I did, making the process of producing events by the cultural sector easier.

However, they City is not living up to many of its goals even listed in the plan. Witness their response to the ongoing NIMBYism regarding Little Mountain Gallery in Riley Park, the sad excuse for a civic public space that is the Art Gallery wood chip bog etc.

SpongeG, I agree tourists come here in the Winter, but not that spending alot of civic money on a short event is going to attract many visitors. You mentioned, Seattle - the Space Needle fireworks are paid for by a private corporation, Space Needle LLC. Yes, there is a city budget, but its not unlimited and as mr.x pioints out, a lot of that will be directed to 125th anniversary celebrations this year.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 4:27 AM
Cheers!

Regarding a big New Years celebration here...

We don't really need money for this do we? The crowd is already there, on Granville. Just need someone to drop a salmon or something from the nearest tall building. Or are we after a glitzy thing to mimik something we've seen on TV with Dick Clark? And no, fireworks have so been done before. Have to be a little more creative.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 5:30 AM

Quote:
The link to the plan is here:
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/cultura...htm#innovation

Admirable sentiments about fostering partnerships, encouraging philanthropy and making use of city assets, but not much about producing events. Rather it seems to advocate, as I did, making the process of producing events by the cultural sector easier.

However, they City is not living up to many of its goals even listed in the plan. Witness their response to the ongoing NIMBYism regarding Little Mountain Gallery in Riley Park, the sad excuse for a civic public space that is the Art Gallery wood chip bog etc.

SpongeG, I agree tourists come here in the Winter, but not that spending alot of civic money on a short event is going to attract many visitors. You mentioned, Seattle - the Space Needle fireworks are paid for by a private corporation, Space Needle LLC. Yes, there is a city budget, but its not unlimited and as mr.x pioints out, a lot of that will be directed to 125th anniversary celebrations this year.
i don't mean they come specifically for it but the city could do more to promote itself as a winter destination

whistler beats and the interior resorts sure beat them on that - i've heard tourists say they didn't know we had ski hills in the city

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 2:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
Regarding a big New Years celebration here...

We don't really need money for this do we? The crowd is already there, on Granville. Just need someone to drop a salmon or something from the nearest tall building. Or are we after a glitzy thing to mimik something we've seen on TV with Dick Clark? And no, fireworks have so been done before. Have to be a little more creative.
this is my point, just acknowledge it on some level.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 5:26 PM

Quote:
this is my point, just acknowledge it on some level.
I do agree a New Years Eve event would be nice in Vancouver.

We just disagree on who should be responsible for putting it on.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post

As for the last video in Vancouver, wow that's quite a lot of people on Granville...almost looks like the Olympics all over again. Clearly, a testament to people needing an actual public event to celebrate at (as well as more things for people to do in this city, for that matter).
That is exactly what I was thinking. I had no idea that many people would be on Granville with no major event event planned. It would not have been hard at all to add to that festive atmosphere. All they would have had to have done is shut down the street like when the Junos were in town and line it with local music acts under canopies and other crap and then have choreographed lasers, spotlights, and fireworks and even flame throwers run a couple of blocks north and south of Robson and Granville with the video screens on the Future shop providing the countdown. Basically what they did to Robson Square for the Olympics but running along the length of Granville.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 1:45 AM

granville is like that every year on new years eve - even before the olympics - but i think the lack of rain brought even more out

they do a countdown on that screen at future shop - or they have in years past...

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment