HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 6:01 PM
Community Guy

^yes and no...

we simply do not have the centralized employment node, downtown, that they have. Mind you we have other institutions that will make up for some of that gap.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 6:06 PM

Right, the UofA brings huge ridership (isn't University the most heavily used station?) and NAIT and MacEwan definitely will.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 6:40 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

New traffic-light patterns causing backups
City struggles to solve LRT intersection problem

By Cigdem Iltan, edmontonjournal.com
April 27, 2010 11:03 AM

The LRT at the South Campus Station.
Photograph by: Rick MacWilliam, edmontonjournal.com

EDMONTON — Transportation operations staff are still working on properly co-ordinating traffic-light changes with the new south LRT extension at 51st Avenue and 111th Street.

Drivers on 51st Avenue have had to wait several traffic-light changes before crossing 111th Street, due to a timing glitch. Transportation staff have been at work at the intersection since the problems began during the morning rush hour on Monday, but still need to make major changes to the timing system, city spokesman Ben Mittelsteadt said...

ciltan@thejournal.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...821/story.html

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 6:52 PM
Community Guy

Apparently the CP park and ride lot was at capacity this morning...

A sign at how many people want to use the LRT or a sign that the feeder system to the SLRT is so poor?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 7:06 PM
HVAC guru

^ or people like me who flat out refuse to take the bus (I do indeed... I'd rather drive to work) but see the LRT as easy & fast. THis alone is the biggest reason for LRT expansion IMO, becuase there are so many untapped riders.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 7:32 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^let's hope the hints at new LRT funding/strategies from the premier are indeed true.

Edmonton desperately needs these lines.
The $2 billion that was hinted at would easily be eaten up by EITHER of the 2 cities and still would not be enough to satisfy what they each want to build. But still, yes, the money is badly needed.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 7:46 PM
Community Guy

^no, but it would likely fund another full line or close to which I would be happy enough with for now to keep progress going.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ or people like me who flat out refuse to take the bus (I do indeed... I'd rather drive to work) but see the LRT as easy & fast. THis alone is the biggest reason for LRT expansion IMO, becuase there are so many untapped riders.
Also known as "rail bias.' I'm curious 240, could you perhaps elaborate on your reasoning? Not trying to criticize as lots of people have those thoughts, but since I'm interested in transit and don't have those feelings myself I'm always curious to hear from people that do.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
and there is little to no stigma attached to trains like it is for buses. this makes lrt attractive and new flyer buses not.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 11:10 PM
HVAC guru

^^ & ^ First & foremost for me, it's the fact that I know where it goes, how long it takes, and if my destination is within easy proximity of the train, I take it. If not, I drive. However, I always intended to make use of the LRT at some point, My house is < 7 minutes walk to the Stadium station (at a fair jaunt) I changed jobs recently, mainly to avoid the 60,000 km's worth of commuting I have been making for the last 3 years and started riding the train every day.

I did take a bus recently, a friend & I ended up at the Empress Ale House on east Whyte ave, enjoying the unseasonably warm weather, and tipping more than a few back, I opted to leave the 240 sitting on the Ave and caught a bus to the University so that I could get the train. It was pretty easy, even pissed drunk, but it was just stright down Whyte ave to the station. I would never, though, take the bus across town or any time I had to make a change... I have friends who take the bus... I know how long it can take to get anywhere. The LRT offers a convenience that the bus just can't, and it's the only thing really that's convinced even a car guy like me (and I currently own three... anyone out there want to buy a Volvo 240 turbo ??) to all but stop driving.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
^yes and no...

we simply do not have the centralized employment node, downtown, that they have. Mind you we have other institutions that will make up for some of that gap.
Calgary's got SAIT, UofC and, as you mention, a honker of a downtown employment node which drives LRT demand due to restricted parking. Moo.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 11:55 PM

UofA is much larger than any of Calgary's education institutions, though.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
UofA is much larger than any of Calgary's education institutions, though.
It's more central too. Well, SAIT is probably comparable as far as that goes, but still.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 3:08 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Also known as "rail bias.' I'm curious 240, could you perhaps elaborate on your reasoning? Not trying to criticize as lots of people have those thoughts, but since I'm interested in transit and don't have those feelings myself I'm always curious to hear from people that do.
As an avid bus rider, the trains offer a lot more space than buses do. The seats are comfier and get to destinations much faster than buses ever will.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 12:37 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Glitch snarls traffic at busy LRT crossing
Bad timing creates 'perfect storm' for motorists, city official admits

Cigdem Iltan And Richard Warnica
Edmonton Journal

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It was just after 5 p.m. when Travis Couturier pulled his red pickup into the turning lane at 51st Avenue and 111th Street. Staring at a bank of red traffic lights, he eased into neutral, lit a cigarette and settled back into the driver's seat.

Since the new Southgate LRT stop opened on the weekend, Couturier has been through this intersection a handful of times, never waiting for less than five minutes at the lights...

ciltan@thejournal.canwest.com
© Edmonton Journal 2010

Copyright © 2010 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...7b5c8&sponsor=

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 2:50 PM
Community Guy

^I have an idea... how about take 122st to the whitemud to go east or belgravia road to go north and east.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 3:04 PM

Quote:
^yes and no...

this is kinda old now but do any of you guys know just how many people work in dt?
im probably wrong but i once heard that cgy has ~100000

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 3:12 PM
Community Guy

^Calgary is over 100k if i recall... and i know i have seen a number of 60k for Edmonton but that might include students?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 4:46 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
According to the City of Calgary, our DT workforce is around 145 000.

Both Edmonton and Calgary have LRT to their major universities, football facilities, hockey arena's etc. U of A is bigger than U of C, but we are connected to SAIT, NAIT is not (yet).

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 6:23 PM

Edmonton LRT still needs a link to WEM, a major tourism and employment node.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton