HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:44 PM

This is anecdotal, but I saw this on City Data. Apparently NIMBYs may have killed the planned "Pittsburgh Flats" 325-unit apartment complex.

Quote:
From what I understand, this project is dead in the water. The NIMBYs and Bruce Kraus got a hold of this and killed it. They argued parking and that the building was too tall and would block views of Oakland. I think Bruce told them it could be 4 stories instead of 5, but the developer indicated that at 4 stories the project would not be profitable enough to proceed.
Also, regarding the TRYP hotel in Lawrenceville, looking back on nextdoor, while a couple NIMBYs continue to NIMBY, the point at which they could block that development has passed, and construction will begin in a week.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:06 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
You're talking about the hotel going into that Art Deco school right next to the Wendy's right?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
You're talking about the hotel going into that Art Deco school right next to the Wendy's right?
Yes.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:05 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
That's awesome, been waiting forever for that building to be restored.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:22 PM

Audi Pittsburgh (12/7/2017)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:29 PM

Edge 1909 (The "official" designation of the construction behind the Terminal Building)

12/7/2017

Mixing big batches of mortar...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:38 PM

Riverfront West @ Three Crossings (12/7/2017)

Hotel Indigo - PTC (12/7/2017)

Crappy picture as I was sitting in traffic, but it's been a while since I've been down there so I was surprised to see it.

The bottom floor of the Seagate Building is gutted. I assume this is a remodel for Bombardier. (12/11/2017)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:50 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Talk about a click baity title....
This announcement is a harbinger of things to come.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/geekwi...ation-economy/

Last edited by Evergrey; Dec 12, 2017 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 6:45 PM
Eurosceptic

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/09/b...y-program.html

Quote:
Can Marriott Keep Starwood’s Culture of Cool, and Its Customers?

For the Marriott-Starwood combination to succeed, top-tier loyalty program members like our writer must not flee. Here’s what would keep him in the fold.

To understand all the challenges that Marriott faces, consider Pittsburgh. It is a fantastic place to visit (and eat), but it's still far enough down the list of most-desired American convention and tourist cities that its hotel lineup feels incomplete. That makes it an excellent place to examine the company's challenges.

Marriott still has not found a spot here for one of its cool-kid brands like Edition or Moxy. For a cutting-edge overnight experience, you might turn to the Ace Hotel and its 63-room property in an old Y.M.C.A. in the funky East Liberty neighborhood. As for family-size accommodations -- and most of the sleeping spots outside the downtown core -- those are now the domain of Airbnb. It can put you up in a 3-bedroom dome or a house festooned with mirrors.

The result for people looking for a place to stay was often a metropolitan area map that looks like the one in Pittsburgh, with a Sheraton and a Westin downtown, or near it, plus a solitary offering out at the airport. Marriott, however, has properties in a near ring around the city, plus several hotels downtown and several more in the Oakland, Shadyside and Bakery Square neighborhoods.

To a loyalty program member, it could seem that Starwood was not trying hard enough, or fast enough, to fill the holes in its map. Here in Pittsburgh, East Liberty has no W or Aloft (the junior, lower-price version of W that first appeared in 2008). Instead, the Ace Hotel moved in and converted the former gymnasium in its building into a ballroom that's now a go-to spot for weddings. On my last trip there, tired of the humdrum Sheraton, I used Airbnb to stay in one of just a few dozen Yaca Domes known to exist.

Those shoots may bear fruit in Pittsburgh one of these days. A Moxy that was supposed to occupy converted space downtown fell by the wayside, but the Oakland neighborhood will get an Autograph soon.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 8:09 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
So Oakland is getting a Marriot? I wonder where they would put it?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Be That Guy View Post
I agree that Pittsburgh just isn't there and that the demand doesn't currently exists and that's why I would be okay with some level of land banking on this site until the demand is there for appropriately dense development.
Does anyone know what the current office market is like for downtown Pittsburgh? There are usually people who post the links to the reports on some of the forums here but I haven't seen any new ones for a while and am not remembering where to find them.

I thought that Pittsburgh was really doing pretty well in terms of office space demand, but maybe that's changed...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
^
So Oakland is getting a Marriot? I wonder where they would put it?
I believe that is a reference to "The Oaklander," which is part of Marriott's Autograph Collection and is being built directly behind the Pittsburgh Athletic Association.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201702210043

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 9:57 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

What was the final verdict on Seagate? Did they leave Pittsburgh entirely?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
What was the final verdict on Seagate? Did they leave Pittsburgh entirely?
They had a phased shutdown that concluded in 2009. Pittsburgh was an R&D center while it was open and its functions got rolled up into other locations across the country.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:36 AM

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201712120210

Quote:
Ice rink back in the plans for old Hunt Armory

The Mosites Co. and partners David Light and Lafe Metz have been selected by the Pittsburgh Urban Redevelopment Authority to move forward with a plan to turn the cavernous armory into a full-size hockey rink and a smaller “studio” rink.

As part of the proposal, the development team also is planning 30,000 square feet of office space, 100 to 115 parking spaces, and first floor retail and classrooms. In the summer, depending on demand for ice, the rink would remain or could be converted into an all-sports surface for soccer and other field sports.
The studio rink concept has become a really popular feature of facilities in New England and Ontario, so not surprised the Penguins made that suggestion.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This is anecdotal, but I saw this on City Data. Apparently NIMBYs may have killed the planned "Pittsburgh Flats" 325-unit apartment complex.
I hope that is not true because that would be stupid.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crash View Post
The studio rink concept has become a really popular feature of facilities in New England and Ontario, so not surprised the Penguins made that suggestion.
Just as long as it can actually be done.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:52 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I hope that is not true because that would be stupid.
Sadly, this would fit a pattern of stupid decisions in Bruce Kraus's South Side.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 6:18 PM
Eurosceptic

Kansas City and Memphis, here we come!!!

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/...tional-airport

Quote:
OneJet adds larger planes, nonstop destinations at Pittsburgh International Airport

Theresa Clift
THERESA CLIFT | Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2017, 12:00 p.m.

Pittsburgh International Airport will soon launch nonstop flights to two new destinations and one that currently is served only seasonally.

OneJet, a startup airline that caters to business travelers, plans to launch weekday flights to Memphis, Kansas City, and Palm Beach, Fla., the airport announced Wednesday.

OneJet is also planning to start using larger airplanes with more seats.

Memphis and Kansas City are new destinations for the airport, while Palm Beach is served seasonally by Southwest Airlines.

The flights to Palm Beach and Kansas City will start March 7. The flights to Memphis will begin March 27.

The airport hasn't had service to Kansas City since 2008 and hasn't had service to Memphis since 2014.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 9:24 PM

I had to make a couple trips to KC this year, so of course NOW they add this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations