HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 1:48 PM

Alberni by Kengo Kuma (1550 Alberni) | 133m | 42Fl | Completed

A friend has just been sent this invitation to view this new project on Alberni. I don't know where the open house is.

Westbank is working with Kengo Kuma, who is a very good architect.

here is the invite:

'Westbank and Peterson are working on a project that will redefine the gateway to the city. Please join us for our upcoming open house for 1550 Alberni Street on June 29th.

We have recently engaged renowned Japanese architect Kengo Kuma for his first major project in North America. Kuma is celebrated worldwide as one of the most innovative architects of his time. His work ranges from private homes to public institutions, from high-rise residential buildings to interior spaces. Kuma has had a profound impact on urban design in his native Japan and internationally and Westbank is thrilled to bring his design aesthetic to Vancouver.

For more information on Kengo Kuma and Associates' work visit http://kkaa.co.jp/

We welcome the circulation of this information to any contacts you feel would be interested.

We look forward to seeing you there.'

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 3:49 PM

Westbank recently purchased this property in April. Looks like they are moving quickly on development. Looking forward to seeing what proposal comes from this as it is right across the street from the 1500 Georgia proposal. 2 iconic "gateway to the city" proposals

link to Van Sun article on the land purchase
http://www.vancouversun.com/business...914/story.html[/URL]

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 4:42 PM

Very interesting. I'm excited to see the current wave of international architects' projects in Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 4:44 PM

Interesting. With this, 1500 West Georgia and the Wall Centre site next door this area could be really transforming in the next few years.

KKAA seems to have very Japanese architecture on their website. I didn't see any proper skyscrapers though. Could be interesting.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 5:19 PM

Good gracious. Interesting design but how in gawd's name do you clean any of his designs, be they interior or exterior?

Something this nuts in Vancouver would turn into a crow's wet dream within weeks:

http://kkaa.co.jp/works/architecture/sunny-hills-japan/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 5:41 PM

Can't wait to see the renders

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 7:48 PM

Thanks for posting!

This one is cool (reminds me of Rem Koohaus' Seattle Public Library)

http://kkaa.co.jp/works/architecture...mation-center/

PS - reminder of the location of the Westbank site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 8:39 PM

So all 500-footers in the area should be expected to be moving forward in next couple of years. Excellent!

I just wonder if it will look good to have three 500' buildings so close to each other. None of them will peak the area.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks for posting!

This one is cool (reminds me of Rem Koohaus' Seattle Public Library)

http://kkaa.co.jp/works/architecture...mation-center/

PS - reminder of the location of the Westbank site:
Wow, thats gonna be quite a tall and dense area! any renders?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 8:20 PM

I just hope that not all tall buildings will try to compete from attention. I think 1500 West Georgia will already be the focal point in the area and I am perfectly happy if other towers are just sleek (not messy) buildings with high-quality finishes.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 10:49 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Even though it's not a public proposal yet, I've changed the thread title in the interest of standardization and ease of searching.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I just hope that not all tall buildings will try to compete from attention. I think 1500 West Georgia will already be the focal point in the area and I am perfectly happy if other towers are just sleek (not messy) buildings with high-quality finishes.
you know, i would have no problem with that actually. so long as they're original, I say bring it on. it is great to see developers finally looking beyond our area code for architects. Non-locals bring such a fresh perspective to our landscape.

i do think it's pretty cool how for a relatively small city like Vancouver, we're getting our fair share of acclaimed international architects. often their first project in canada or north america.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
you know, i would have no problem with that actually. so long as they're original, I say bring it on. it is great to see developers finally looking beyond our area code for architects. Non-locals bring such a fresh perspective to our landscape.

i do think it's pretty cool how for a relatively small city like Vancouver, we're getting our fair share of acclaimed international architects. often their first project in canada or north america.
Agree!

Like I said in the 1500 Georgia thread, its great to have buildings worth talking about - for positive or negative reasons.

Thats the point of art, thats the point of architecture - the idea isn't to have homogenous sea foam blob like certain parts of downtown…

I too agree that its great to have international recognition by starchitects.

Some call it unnecessary - but for how much "world class" gets thrown around here, its beautiful to see real world class talent redefine our skyline.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 4:48 AM

I got an email from the West End Community Plan mailing list today. The open house for 1550 Alberni is Monday evening at the Shangri-La:

Quote:
2. Westbank/Peterson are holding a pre-application open house for 1550 Alberni Street.

This is a developer-hosted pre-application open house to review preliminary plans and share your feedback.

Date: Monday, June 29, 2015
Time: 5 pm to 8 pm (drop-in)
Place: Shangri-La Hotel, Conway Room, 6th floor, 1128 West Georgia Street

For more information, please contact Sophie Perndl, Brook Pooni Associates, at sperndl@brookpooni.com.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 AM

I dropped by the open house briefly tonight - no photos allowed, and all the visitors had to seal their phones in envelopes before entering (for real), so no renders to share.
The proposal is for a 135 metre condo tower, with some retail uses at grade (a high-end Japanese restaurant seems to be the working idea). The design included some curves, and a lot of wood accents. It looked pretty good, though I expect it will evolve a fair bit.

There's probably someone else on here who can share a bit more info...

Last edited by Locked In; Jun 30, 2015 at 5:40 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 5:29 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Cant really share anything at this time but I can confirm the above post, 40fls.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 6:41 AM

I also attended and found the overall shape of the tower quite beautiful...it is hollowed out of the centre to allow the building next door to maintain views to the park ...if you google ericofon it will give you an idea of the shape, albeit abstracted greatly

it also has an idea about a mammoth terraced moss garden at the base...although I am not sure if it is meant to be a public garden or not...it is nestled into an exposed structural frame which meets the ground

the project is quite schematic at this point but I am excited to see how it evolves

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM

Very beautiful building indeed, 40 floors with 3 CRUs: a cafe, a regular retail, and the above-mentioned high end Japanese restaurant: all along Cardero Street. Access to the parkade (6 floors deep) is on Alberni Street instead of the back alley due to elevation difference. The interesting features include the Japanese garden set on the base of the tower, with water features and a green mound that rises up to meet the roofs of the CRUs. From certain perspectives it looks like a grassy knoll behind the garden. The tower rises above the Japanese garden and podium (CRUs and condo lobby), and somewhat reminds me of Vancouver House, but definitely crafted better. I think that a lot of wood and bamboo features are used to highlight the Asian/Japanese accent of the tower. The architect is, after all, Japanese, and must be in-tune with the Zen concept of design.

Everyone at the Westbank Open House was requested to fill out forms in regards to the thoughts of this development.

Last edited by Vin; Jun 30, 2015 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 3:58 PM

What, the building's shape will be something similar to this?

Slightly disappointed if they won't use all the height the site allows. 40 floors is a regular tower nowadays.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 8:39 PM

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
... 3 CRUs: a cafe, a regular retail, and the above-mentioned high end Japanese restaurant: all along Cordova Street. ...
Cardero Street...

I assume that the hollowed out part faces north (i.e. faces the elevator core of 1500 West Georgia)?
Will there be units facing that elevator core or is the tower pared back to its own elevator core?
If the building is hollowed out to allow views from the pink building to Stanley Park, what happens when the White Spot site is redeveloped?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver