HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 6:51 PM
inner city

492-500 Lisgar St | 19m | 4f | U/C

Proposed lowrise apartment building in Centretown. Sign went up on site yesterday.
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__0F0ML5
Renderings:

Current site, with four dilapidated buildings; a former duplex, and three SFD. (sorry for the bad winter backlighting, will try and get a better pic in afternoon sun sometime). The red brick building on the east end of the site was reportedly a former grow-op a long time ago, since remediated, I heard.

Last edited by McKellarDweller; Oct 31, 2019 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 6:54 PM
Living With My Mother

Boring renderings phoned in by a hungover and uninspired architect. Surely to win praise and full support by Ottawa city council.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 8:32 PM

Although I appreciate the redevelopment and this would be better than the status-quo, this is Lisgar street in the heart of downtown and Centretown! Why the hell wouldn't they go up to at least like 9 floors? Get some density in there! I kowo some single family homes in the suburbs that are bigger/denser than this

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 3:50 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

494 Lisgar St | 14m | 4fl | Proposed

The applicant proposes to demolish the existing residential buildings and construct a four-storey apartment building on the subject property at 494 Lisgar Street. The apartment building is proposed to contain 21 dwelling units, consisting of one-bedroom and two-bedroom layouts.

Vehicular parking is provided in an underground parking garage that is proposed to include eight stalls. Two additional stalls are reserved as tandem spaces, if desired by tenants. Access to the garage is provided by means of a driveway connected to a ramp along the west side of the property.

Bicycle parking with capacity for 18 spaces is proposed on the basement level adjacent to the underground parking garage.

Balconies are included on the north and south sides of the building to provide private amenity space for each unit. A communal amenity area is proposed at grade in the rear of the building, along with two private patios connected to main floor units. A rooftop patio accessible by elevator and stairwell is included to provide additional communal outdoor space for residents. A fitness room is proposed for the main floor adjacent to the building lobby.

Renderings:

Site:

Last edited by rocketphish; Feb 4, 2017 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Although I appreciate the redevelopment and this would be better than the status-quo, this is Lisgar street in the heart of downtown and Centretown! Why the hell wouldn't they go up to at least like 9 floors? Get some density in there! I kowo some single family homes in the suburbs that are bigger/denser than this
The rest of the neighbourhood is 2-3 stories. A mid block 9 story building would be ridiculously out of place.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 3:46 PM

single family homes that are denser than a 21-unit building? what's this "family" at? 30 kids and counting?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 1:39 PM

500 Lisgar St | ?m | 3f | Proposed

The building will include 28 bachelor apartments for supportive housing. Total of 10 parking spots (8 for residents and 2 for visitors). Replacing a series of abandoned houses.

Google Street View: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4144...7i16384!8i8192

Quote:
Catherine McKenney, February 26, 2021

FAQs on 500 Lisgar Supportive Housing Project

John Howard Society of Ottawa (JHS) has received funding through the federal government’s Rapid Housing Initiative to develop a supportive housing project for women experiencing homelessness, with a focus on Indigenous women. This project will be located at 500 Lisgar, a property that is currently occupied by four vacant buildings.

JHS has created a Frequently Asked Questions sheet on the project so the community can easily access basic information on the project. As the development progresses, more information will be made available.

You can review the FAQ sheet here.
https://www.catherinemckenney.ca/blo...ousing-project

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Mar 1, 2021 at 8:08 PM. Reason: incorrect render

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 3:37 PM

Am I the only one having trouble understanding that this is a "project to support women experiencing homelessness" yet includes 8 parking spots for residents?

Maybe just my opinion but if they are homeless and need support, maybe they should start by getting rid of their vehicles?

Also, sort of a waste of prime downtown space for a low-rise 3-level building. You would expect the additional cost to build another 2 or 3 levels on top would be low in proportion to total construction costs. If we are in need of supporting housing, why not build bigger ones?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 3:56 PM

Quote:

Maybe just my opinion but if they are homeless and need support, maybe they should start by getting rid of their vehicles?
Just WOW... that is a privilege statement if I ever saw one...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 6:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Am I the only one having trouble understanding that this is a "project to support women experiencing homelessness" yet includes 8 parking spots for residents?

According to the FAQ, the parking is aimed at staff and visitors, and they are providing a total of 10 spots to satisfy bylaw requirements.

https://www.catherinemckenney.ca/s/Lisgar-FAQ022621.pdf

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 7:51 PM
You call that a knife?

Quote:
instead of living year-round in a 1998 toyota corolla they should sell it for a week of rent. crisis solved

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:08 PM
National Capital Region

The render posted yesterday is from a supportive housing project in Richmond, BC.; I removed it from the post above. The Ottawa project will be four storeys as per the drawings earlier in the thread.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
The render posted yesterday is from a supportive housing project in Richmond, BC.; I removed it from the post above. The Ottawa project will be four storeys as per the drawings earlier in the thread.
Sorry about that. It didn't remember this thread existed. The rendering I posted was from McKenney's Twitter, so I assumed that was it:

https://twitter.com/cmckenney/status...38325402480649

Could the thread title be updated to 4 fl?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 12:41 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I have moved the increasingly off-topic Centretown building height discussion to the General Ottawa Planning Issues thread, here:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=213706

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 5:15 PM
National Capital Region

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ne...uary-Sales.pdf
494 Lisgar Street was purchased by John
Howard Society of Ottawa from PBC
Lisgar GP Inc. for $2,950,000 or $397
per square foot. It is zoned Residential
Fourth Density.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 6:49 PM

Feds announce $90 million for 270 new housing units in Ottawa
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/feds-annou...tawa-1.6162949
Quote:
494 Lisgar St., Centretown: Also a John Howard Society project, this 29-unit building will offer supportive housing for women experiencing chronic homelessness with a focus on Indigenous Women. The program will have 24-hour support on-site with gender, trauma, and culturally responsive case management, and community development supports. The project received $14 million in federal funding..

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 10:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Federal government to spend $90M to fund 270 affordable housing units in Ottawa
The money is part of the federal Liberals' National Housing Strategy, which combined with provincial and municipal supports, targets homelessness.

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Nov 22, 2022 • 35 minutes ago • 2 minute read

A new 40-unit Carling Avenue residence and a nine-storey apartment in the heart of Little Italy are among more than 270 units of affordable housing in Ottawa to benefit from $90 million in funding announced Tuesday by the federal government.

“It’s one thing to say that these homes will make a positive difference in people’s lives. It’s another thing to actually see that put in action,” federal Minister of Housing and Diversity and Inclusion Ahmed Hussen said in a media briefing in the lobby of the new building at 289 Carling Ave.

“This funding, the funding that we provided to the John Howard Society, has helped build these 40 units for the most vulnerable members of our community. And it shows that responsible, targeted deliberate investments have and will continue to make a difference in Ottawa and across our country.”

The money is part of the federal Liberals’ National Housing Strategy, which combined with provincial and municipal supports, targets homelessness. The John Howard Society building was built on land that was declared surplus by the federal government and bought by the City of Ottawa. The six-storey building at the corner of Carling and Bell Street will include eight accessible units and 24-hour support “for transitional-aged youth and adults, people who are homeless or those at risk of becoming homeless, as well as women and their children.”

The federal money also funded a four-storey, 49-unit apartment on Forward Avenue with 30 affordable units and 19 units offered at below-market rent.

A nine-story apartment at 93 Norman St. in Little Italy will add another 122 units of affordable housing to the supply, while a 29-unit building at 494 Lisgar St. is specifically targeted for Indigenous women experiencing chronic homelessness. In the suburbs, a 32-unit on Jockvale Road to be managed by Ottawa Community Housing will offer two- and three-bedroom stacked townhouses.

Joining Hussen for Tuesday’s announcement were Ottawa Centre Liberal MPP Yasir Naqvi, the province’s associate minister of housing Michael Parsa, and city councillors Shawn Menard and Rawlson King.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...nits-in-ottawa

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 9:12 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

This isn't looking like the renderings... the value engineer must have stopped-by. Fewer and smaller windows and no balconies on the front anyway.

Photos by me
May 30, 2023

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 9:16 PM

Wow, the developer must have attended the Claridge School of Bean Counting between the proposal and the build.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Wow, the developer must have attended the Claridge School of Bean Counting between the proposal and the build.
Value engineering occurs on all projects from the high end luxury projects to projects like this under the auspicies of the John Howard society. At the early stages of a project it is hard to know the true costs for everything and it happens to many projects that some things have to be removed from the final design.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa