HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 12:31 AM

Holland College plans to build new residence

Holland College plans to build a new residence building for 80 students in Charlottetown, the college announced Wednesday in a news release.

The school said it will acquire seven properties on Grafton and Cumberland streets — across from the Prince of Wales campus — for the project.

The project is contingent on the City of Charlottetown rezoning the properties to be consolidated, and for institutional use.

The college said if the rezoning goes through, it hopes to start construction in July with the residence ready for September 2018. The total cost is estimated at $6.96 million

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 12:47 AM

Brown`s Volkswagen nearing completion.

It has been an ongoing joke among staff at The Brown’s Volkswagen dealership in Charlottetown that the next hired salesperson will have their office in the showroom car.

Tammy Roach, general manager at Brown’s Volkswagen, said their growth over the years has prompted her to get creative on where to put a desk and phone outlets.

“We are bursting at the seams. We’ve continually grown every year,” said Roach. “I have offices where there shouldn’t be offices.”

Jamie Brown bought the dealership 11.5 years ago and started with seven employees. That number has since grown to 29

The staff can’t all work at the current location. Administrative and detailing personnel are located in another building across the parking lot.

However, that is all about to change.

The Volkswagen dealership will have a newer, nicer and bigger facility next door from the current location in 2017.

“It’s going to be beautiful,” said Roach.

Shovels hit the ground July 18 2016.

This new building will be able to accommodate their current staff with room to grow in numbers.

“We thought we would build for the future.”

The new location will boast ten bays, a showroom for seven vehicles, a sizeable lounge area and a large two-lane service drive-thru, a small gym and a car wash for customers vehicles.

“You don’t have to get out of your car in the rain or snow,” said Roach in talking about the drive-thru. “It will be nice.”

Roach said she went to some Volkswagen dealerships in Toronto and Montreal who have this “white framed look” to help plan for the new location Charlottetown.

“We have done a lot of research as to what it looks like in real life and what would work good for our flow and our customers.”

Roach said a huge part of their success is owed to their “super team” and processes at their dealership.

“We treat our customers like royalty and we treat them like we want to do business with them again and not just that one sale.”

Roach said she hopes this new facility will encourage more people to look at Volkswagen and put it on their list.

“We want to earn people’s business. We have confidence in this fabulous brand and we want the opportunity to show them.”

Roach said building plans are running on schedule and they anticipate the new location will open by the end of March 2017.

Roach adds they will be hiring new staff in all areas as they continue to grow and will advertise positions on Facebook and P.E.I. Job Bank.

“Volkswagen’s plan is to grow in Canada so we are just going to keep growing along with it.”

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 11:46 PM

Holland College - Student Residence

Charlottetown, PE – Holland College will acquire seven properties on the corner of Grafton Street and Cumberland Street in order to build an 80-bed residence as part of the Prince of Wales Campus.

The plans are contingent on approval by the City of Charlottetown for rezoning of the properties to institutional usage and for lot consolidation.

The new residence will have one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartment-style units, similar to that of Glendenning Hall, the college’s 186-bed residence located on the other side of Grafton Street.

Once the college takes ownership of the properties, it will assist current tenants by providing them lists of other properties and landlords who have available accommodations.

Construction is anticipated to begin in July 2017, with the new residence open for students in September 2018

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 11:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good stuff.

I must admit that I am a little perplexed by Holland College. With it's downtown Charlottetown campus, the quality of it's facilities and the student residences, it seems much more like a university campus than a community college.

I've often wondered if they aspire to becoming a "technical university" like Ryerson in Toronto. What do you think braymondg?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 12:14 AM

Habbi Holdings Apartments

Under Construction Soon. APPROVED.

http://sablearc.com/portfolio-posts/habbi-development/

Located on the corner of North River Road and Burns Avenue in Charlottetown. This 4-1/2 story structure has been designed with underground parking to accommodate 24 residential units. A new and modern style has been incorporated within the conceptual design to provide a new product to the local market and bring some much needed diversity to the eastern-end of North River Road. The orthogonal and boxy form play with solid/void strategies to add rhythm to the street façade with use of cantilevered vertical metal masses and recessed private balcony spaces. A potential public roof deck has been planned into the design to provide building residents access to elevated views of Ellen’s Creek and Central Field, the main Charlottetown Rural baseball diamonds located just behind this proposed development.

Last edited by braymondg; Mar 23, 2017 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Good stuff.

I must admit that I am a little perplexed by Holland College. With it's downtown Charlottetown campus, the quality of it's facilities and the student residences, it seems much more like a university campus than a community college.

I've often wondered if they aspire to becoming a "technical university" like Ryerson in Toronto. What do you think braymondg?
I'm a graduate of HC and UPEI and I can see this happening to some of the courses, and some do now have their credits recognized by UPEI. However, HC will always still be dedicated to the trades too I believe. Maybe someday HC will become more of a "technical university" but I believe variety is a good thing and it seems to be working for them.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 12:42 AM

Richmond Street Apartments

PROPOSED

http://www.apm.ca/content/news/richm...eet-apartments

A Charlottetown developer says a flight to the core is behind his desire to build an apartment on Richmond Street in Charlottetown.

Tim Banks made a presentation before city council at a public meeting in Charlottetown on Tuesday night, the kind of meeting that gives the public a chance to ask questions.

There were no questions from the public on any of the issues the meeting centered on.

Banks is looking for a site-specific amendment to the zoning bylaw that would enable him to build a four-storey, 23-unit apartment building at 55 and 59 Richmond St.

Right now, he’s allowed to go three storeys, to 40 feet with a 13-foot ceiling on the first floor.

He’s proposing to go to four floors, remain with the 40-foot height requirement but wants to reduce the first floor height from 13 feet to 9.5 feet.

“Right now, there is a new trend that has been happening in urban centres. I call it flight to the core,’’ Banks said. “If you look recently at the demographics in Prince Edward Island census you’ll see that there are a lot of people moving into urban centres.’’

Banks’ proposed apartment building would be built right next door to the larger Richmond Place. His original request was for a side yard setback from six feet to about 0.6 feet which would have meant the outdoor decks of some of the neighhours would have been mighty close. Banks has pulled the side yard setback off the table.

Part of Banks’ presentation involved examples of tall buildings south of Euston Street, the area the city commonly refers to as the 500 Lot area, to indicate that height is not a detriment to progress and that it can be harmonious with the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:02 PM

APM's proposal on Richmond Street was deferred by council for lack of parking. Cash-in-lieu was denied and unless they can come up with some off-site parking this project will not move forward. Hopefully there is a resolution to this such as The Pownal Parkade because this looks like a great addition to the 500 lot area.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo View Post
APM's proposal on Richmond Street was deferred by council for lack of parking. Cash-in-lieu was denied and unless they can come up with some off-site parking this project will not move forward. Hopefully there is a resolution to this such as The Pownal Parkade because this looks like a great addition to the 500 lot area.
Figures!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 11:37 AM

Charlottetown planning board approves recommendation for new Holland College residences

The Planning Board has approved the recommendation to rezone several Charlottetown buildings into student residences.

Greg Rivard, chairman of the city's planning department said the decision was made at a Planning Board meeting Monday night.

Holland College representatives say once they purchase the buildings, residences will have two months to relocate.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 12:32 PM

Reliable Motors Proceeds to Build a New Dealership

Construction has begun on a new Reliable Motors in Charlottetown. The dealership will be moving from its Allen Street location, to the corner of John Yeo Drive and Malpeque Rd. The foundation is in place and the steel is soon to go up.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
Reliable Motors Proceeds to Build a New Dealership

Construction has begun on a new Reliable Motors in Charlottetown. The dealership will be moving from its Allen Street location, to the corner of John Yeo Drive and Malpeque Rd. The foundation is in place and the steel is soon to go up.
Ahh so that's what's going there. This is huge news for Charlottetown!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 1:53 AM

So Dollarama is supposed to be building 1700 new stores in Canada. Thoughts on how many will be in PEI?
Western Prince County, Montague, Cornwall, Stratford and Kensington would all likely be suitable locations. Perhaps even a second Summerside location.
Charlottetown, there perhaps could be one in Winsloe, Confederation Court Mall, in the plaza with Value Village, one by the roundabout on capital drive, and one in Sherwood.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 12:27 AM

Anyone hear anything on the Hampton Inn development in Charlottetown?

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 10:31 PM

Shops of Founders Hall to include 'urban market,' boutiques and possibly a micro-brewery

Paul Madden showed CBC around the 111-year-old building Wednesday and revealed his plans not only for it, but for the land he owns between Founders Hall and his existing Hillsborough condominium building — with partner Micro Boutique Living, he plans to develop a 136-unit micro-condo complex with some retail space on the ground floor.

Read more here:
http://http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-charlottetown-founders-hall-development-plan-paul-madden-1.4119909

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 10:28 AM

I like the micro living concept... I think that once Canada relaxes it's rules about snow birding you might see a lot of people reversing what they do now and buy a house in the warm South while retaining a micro condo at home. Charlottetown is a good example as in the Summer it's absolutely hopping in town so you can spend less time at home while in the Winter it's about as boring as it gets.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
I'm a graduate of HC and UPEI and I can see this happening to some of the courses, and some do now have their credits recognized by UPEI. However, HC will always still be dedicated to the trades too I believe. Maybe someday HC will become more of a "technical university" but I believe variety is a good thing and it seems to be working for them.
Vancouver Island Univserity in Nanaimo BC is a good example of this transition! Offers a huge mix of trades and university degrees

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:00 AM

Sport Chek is moving to most of the remaining target space that is across from Psudeo. There is still about 20,000 sq ft remaining where the receiving area would have been facing the back parking lot.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:17 AM

People's Jewlers in County Fair Mall in Summerside has apparently closed. The company gave no reason for the closure, although my guess is due to lack of business.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 12:32 AM

UPDATES:

Well I can see there hasn't been much on updates here.

Here are a few which I can pass along:

- Reliable Motors is nearing completion. The building is enclosed and the pavement will soon be going in place.

- Holland College's new residence is underway. The buildings have been torn down and a site cleanup underway.

- A site for the new firehall has been selected. The lot is located between the CAT dealer and Moores Well Drilling on the Malpeque Rd. Rear access from Sherwood Rd will be added.

- The development behind the Charlottetown Mall is in full swing. A new 4 floor, 64 unit apartment complex will part of the development which is soon to be started.

- Taylor developers have started the three floor condos on Allen St. The building framing is up and the roof is next.

- The Habbie four floor apartments on the corner of Burns and North River Rd is up with the exterior and interior work is underway.

- Site work is near complete for the new six floor Hampton Inn on Capital Dr. The building is to start soon after.

- Charlottetown Airport now has two 7000 ft runways with the second runways addition completed recently.

There other developments under way before council. They will be listed later once we have more info.

I'll try to provide pictures in the near future on the above mentioned.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces