HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 1:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So here's some updated information on the proposed Shannex Parkland retirement complex planned for off Mapleton Road, just behind the Mapleton Centre.

Most Recent Site Plan:

There are to be five phases to the development. Here is the construction timeline and what to be expected in each phase:

Everything in blue in the above site plan will be built in "phase one". The two red buildings in the site plan will be "phase two", and will be built three years later. Phase three is green and phases four & five are located on the other side of LJR Blvd.

Phase One:

Will include four buildings (nursing home, special care home, pavilion and a hospitality & wellness centre). These are all low rise buildings except for the wellness centre which will be five stories. Construction of phase one will be immediately following approval. Here are a couple of representative renders:

Phase Two:

Includes the first of the "lifestyle" (independent living) buildings. These will both be six storey buildings and will each contain 60 apartment units and will be connected by the pavilion building which was built as part of phase one.

Phase Three:

Will be identical to Phase Two, except the buildings will have no connecting pavilion.

Phases Four & Five:

These are both interesting buildings, but won't be built for about ten years. The current plan is for eight storey buildings, with ground floor commercial and independent living apartments above. The proposal indicates that these buildings will be mirror images of each other. Interestingly, although the proposal seems to indicate that the buildings will be eight stories, the supplied render seems to indicate 12 storey buildings, so there is a little confusion here. Given the extended timeline, there presumably will be some latitude in terms of what the final height of these two buildings will be.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 10:29 AM

Doesn't Shannex usually start with independent living and then move on to assisted and nursing care so the people they are already renting to graduate into the next level as they age? I didn't think Moncton had so many seniors looking to move into a nursing home. I know there are some beds lacking but Villa du Repos will be adding their 126 beds once they get them staffed. And considering the issues they've been having, Shannex will persumably run into the same issues.

On another note, am I the only one who no longer sees most pictures in threads? I suppose it could be work blocking them to save on bandwidth.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 11:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
On another note, am I the only one who no longer sees most pictures in threads? I suppose it could be work blocking them to save on bandwidth.
It might be me. I'm a cheap bastard and only have the "free" version of Photobucket, which only allows so many views per month - however this hasn't been an issue for a couple of years, or it could be your work. Horizon Health for whatever reason blocks everything on Flickr.

I'll check my usage stats on Photobucket when I get home this evening. I uploaded the images however on my home computer and don't have a problem seeing them here at work. You could also check to see if you can see the images on your own home computer. Does anyone else have a problem???

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It might be me. I'm a cheap bastard and only have the "free" version of Photobucket, which only allows so many views per month - however this hasn't been an issue for a couple of years, or it could be your work. Horizon Health for whatever reason blocks everything on Flickr.

I'll check my usage stats on Photobucket when I get home this evening. I uploaded the images however on my home computer and don't have a problem seeing them here at work. You could also check to see if you can see the images on your own home computer. Does anyone else have a problem???
Actually, up until a week or so ago, I couldn't see any pictures in any thread. now they all seem to work. I think the admins here at work changed the firewall settings. I can't complain.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 12:46 PM

I was having the same problem viewing some photos last week. I even had a problem viewing a photo I was tagging in my own post.

Seems to be fixed now.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 1:29 PM

Quote:
I sent the link to my phone where it works just fine so looks like it's work. Rogers on mobile would gladly show any pictures, even if they were absolutely ginormous as how will their CEO afford his 200 feet yacht otherwise!?

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 12:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
What a great addition to this area. Here is a render of the project from their Facebook page.

I wonder when the Magnetic Hill Winery is planning on starting their long talked about expansion and possible restaurant.
The Magnetic Hill Winery expansion is well underway. The new building is quite substantial, at least twice the footprint of the existing house on the property.

Regarding the spa; this is also not an insignificant project. The budget is apparently $2.5M. With these two developments nearly side by side, there's a little cultural district developing on the side of Lutes Mountain overlooking the city.......

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:06 PM

Any word on if the Bell building on Mapleton will go up for sale? There are some dumpsters and such on site which almost implies remediation and not destruction. We really need to see that gone, along with Day&Ross, for the area to reach its full potential.

(Of course filling up those spaces could be an issue considering the current undeveloped land behind Costco and Cabela's)

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Any word on if the Bell building on Mapleton will go up for sale? There are some dumpsters and such on site which almost implies remediation and not destruction. We really need to see that gone, along with Day&Ross, for the area to reach its full potential.

(Of course filling up those spaces could be an issue considering the current undeveloped land behind Costco and Cabela's)
I always found it odd that the 3 story medical building at 585 Mapleton located where it did and not downtown, say on Assumption. That would have been a great infill building downtown. I'm sure it was a money issue, just a shame it located in a retail area.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
I always found it odd that the 3 story medical building at 585 Mapleton located where it did and not downtown, say on Assumption. That would have been a great infill building downtown. I'm sure it was a money issue, just a shame it located in a retail area.
I think having their main competition (doc braces) already right across the street was a big factor as well.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:

Yes, Bell plans on selling the property.

I would have loved to have seen that doctors building downtown somewhere!
Lewis & Queen, Assumption & Downing, Queen & Orange, Queen & Alama, Foundry & Record, NW corner @ Main & Vaughan Harvey etc. So many places it could have went!

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Any word on if the Bell building on Mapleton will go up for sale? There are some dumpsters and such on site which almost implies remediation and not destruction.
It will be sold. They are cleaning it out now. It will probably be sold as-is and the buyer would decide whether to tear down or renovate.

There wasn't a lot of structural damage, but smoke got into the HVAC and blackened everything inside the building.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 6:06 PM
Our Tide is Rising

I'm almost positive Costco could buy the Aliant building and the land for "la promenade"...combine the two parcels and have PLENTY of space on the already very well serviced Mapleton Rd

Also there is a little road that runs behind Future Inns which connects into the back of Aliant site...this could be upgraded to allow bettter access to and from the site using already existing set of lights there.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
I'm almost positive Costco could buy the Aliant building and the land for "la promenade"...combine the two parcels and have PLENTY of space on the already very well serviced Mapleton Rd

Also there is a little road that runs behind Future Inns which connects into the back of Aliant site...this could be upgraded to allow bettter access to and from the site using already existing set of lights there.
Costco will need about 17-18 acres and even if it did fit, they pay very little for land and there would be nothing left over for a developer to make a return on their investment, as they would have to upgrade all the roads, etc as the city makes developers pay everything. Who ever buys the Aliant building better also pay attention to Halls Creek, as the standard building set back is 30m from a water course so it may make this land a lot less viable than one thinks.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 10:15 AM

And just like that, the Bell building on Mapleton has a for sale sign as of yesterday afternoon.

Also, the new Chrysler dealership lot next to Hampton, they've expanded their gravel pad quite a bit, probably doubled in size. I don't know if that means anything for the construction but hopefully we'll see something soon.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 11:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
And just like that, the Bell building on Mapleton has a for sale sign as of yesterday afternoon.

Also, the new Chrysler dealership lot next to Hampton, they've expanded their gravel pad quite a bit, probably doubled in size. I don't know if that means anything for the construction but hopefully we'll see something soon.
They've just sealed (applied tar emulsion) to their existing lot on Mountain Road, so I would say probably not.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 3:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Rossano's signage is now being installed in the former Mike's location on Mountain Road.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 9:14 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
They've just sealed (applied tar emulsion) to their existing lot on Mountain Road, so I would say probably not.
I've heard rumours that the higher ups at Chrysler don't want them to move and give up such a prime location, instead look into alternatives for renovation and expansion within the existing site...very loose rumour though so take it with a grain of salt

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 2:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Photos of the expansion plans for the Lutz Mountain Heritage Museum expansion project. The official sod turning was today.

photos from Mayor Dawn Arnold's Facebook page.

Quote:
The museum is in need of expansion to hold their rich collection and also to make the museum wheelchair accessible. In partnership with the three levels of government the museum has received $195,000 ($70,000 Federal), ($75,000 Provincial) and ($50,000 City of Moncton) to make the needed expansion a reality. They start construction next week.
In addition to the above, the expansion will include new washroom facilities, an expanded kitchen and an outdoor covered veranda so that the museum will be more capable of hosting social events in the future.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 2:15 PM

New

Hey All

Recently signed up Having been reading the forums for a couple of years. Had one comment and one Question

Question - What is the new building going up beside Good Life in Mapleton

Comment - The restaurant going into the Holiday Inn Express is Jack Astors . This was confirmed several months ago , and I have not heard that this has changed

Cheers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces