HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I hadnt heard anything about Kenner. Where is Kenner suggesting they locate?
Laketown. There was a Times-Pic article a few days ago. I've never placed hyperlinks on this page, but hopefully the link below works.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...r_coconut.html

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
...but a small overpass, for the streetcar tracks only (not the traffic lanes of St. Claude) could be built quickly and inexpensively so long as St. Ferdinand and Montegut Streets are closed off in the median of St. Claude.

The overpass would be short, since streetcars can handle steep grades, and have an open airy structure, since streetcars don't need a solid concrete deck.
Pay attention to any modern rail overpass that has been built in the last 20 years and take note of the structural elements. Now, look for a short overpass in this area that lacks an earthen embankment, which is rare in itself in these parts.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 7:32 PM
TL;DR

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 9:44 PM

Quote:
I think the resistance from Norfolk Southern to an at-grade crossing is going to pale in comparison to the push back that building a monstrosity like that in that neighborhood is going to receive.

Plus, the city has a lot of leverage over the railroads as they are will need a significant amount of right of way from the city as part of their major re-routing project that is currently underway.

The city can simply say - and likely will - that if it does not get this at grade crossing then the railroads do not get the right of way to double and triple track certain existing sections needed to remove the Carrollton and I-10 flyovers.

It's as simple as that per some folks involved with that particular project.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 12:09 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Most Livable View Post
I think the resistance from Norfolk Southern to an at-grade crossing is going to pale in comparison to the push back that building a monstrosity like that in that neighborhood is going to receive.
I dunno, I think it's pretty attractive as a modern design.

You could do a modest trestle instead, in either steel or wood. The wood would blend with the neighborhood aesthetic.

Personally, I think the safety problems of the at-grade option are far, far worse than the aesthetic problems of the flyover (which are largely a matter of taste anyway). The community can be involved in the design of the overpass to alleviate any concerns about aesthetics and accessibility, but there's little the community can do to prevent a possible train-streetcar collision, and the almost-guaranteed loss of life.

Plus, the overpass gives streetcar riders the same quick travel times that drivers already enjoy due to the Claiborne overpass. Why should streetcar riders have to wait 20 minutes for a freight train to clear the intersection while drivers can just detour onto Claiborne and fly above it all?

Quote:
The city can simply say - and likely will - that if it does not get this at grade crossing then the railroads do not get the right of way to double and triple track certain existing sections needed to remove the Carrollton and I-10 flyovers.
What are you referring to? The railroads don't need any extra land to do Rail Gateway, and the city is a huge beneficiary of that project due to the various grade separations and so forth. The city would be very stupid to blackmail NS like this.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 12:45 AM

Andre Duany discusses urban planning failures in New Orleans

Hey everyone! I haven't posted here before, but I've been following for a little while now because...I kind of love this forum.
Anyway, I came across this video on nola.com today and thought it was really interesting to hear an architect and urban planner talk about all these silver bullets we've had in New Orleans over the years. He doesn't come off as too optimistic, but he tells it like it is I guess. Although I personally think we've already turned a corner and are beginning to move past relying on just the big projects to turn the city around.

http://videos.nola.com/times-picayun...s_urban_p.html

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 2:46 AM

Quote:
I dunno, I think it's pretty attractive as a modern design.

You could do a modest trestle instead, in either steel or wood. The wood would blend with the neighborhood aesthetic.

Personally, I think the safety problems of the at-grade option are far, far worse than the aesthetic problems of the flyover (which are largely a matter of taste anyway). The community can be involved in the design of the overpass to alleviate any concerns about aesthetics and accessibility, but there's little the community can do to prevent a possible train-streetcar collision, and the almost-guaranteed loss of life.

Plus, the overpass gives streetcar riders the same quick travel times that drivers already enjoy due to the Claiborne overpass. Why should streetcar riders have to wait 20 minutes for a freight train to clear the intersection while drivers can just detour onto Claiborne and fly above it all?

What are you referring to? The railroads don't need any extra land to do Rail Gateway, and the city is a huge beneficiary of that project due to the various grade separations and so forth. The city would be very stupid to blackmail NS like this.
I think the community will think the occasional wait for a freight train will be an acceptable trade off to a fly over. Seems to be a lot of support for this already.

As far as the "blackmail" it's called "mitigation" and these types of trade offs are expected.

In fact, the city has already begun to put together a list of items it will submit as mitigation items - or "blackmail" - in order to grant the additional right of way when it double tracks the Country Club corridor and triple tracks the I-10 portion.

While the city is a huge beneficiary it is the railroads that are pushing this project and have the most to gain from it's completion.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 3:10 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily call that short. BTW that's in California where it's more feasible and cheaper to build cast in place concrete bridges. The cloest you're going to get here will be the steel box girders like you see on 4/5 level interchanges in Houston or the main span of the Westbank Expwy over the Harvey Canal. I agree about the safety of overpass vs. at-grade, but with the overpass they'll most likely be deciding between ugly & expensive and less expensive and uglier. If the money is there I say go for it, but I still don't see an overpass being cost effective.

If there weren't so many regulations and guidelines to modern construction, especially in regards to rail overpasses, we could get a way with a lot and put something pretty attractive right there but as the red tape builds, so does the price.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 4:33 AM

Interesting about the Trump tower. I think it could gain a lot of positive momentum once Trump is removed from the project.

700 sq ft seems feasible for a top-of the line project.

Love all the development happening in New Orleans!

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 6:04 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call that short. BTW that's in California where it's more feasible and cheaper to build cast in place concrete bridges. The cloest you're going to get here will be the steel box girders like you see on 4/5 level interchanges in Houston or the main span of the Westbank Expwy over the Harvey Canal.
Is this for reasons of reduced weight on the foundations? I've always wondered why structures are a bit different here. (the Westbank Expwy is beautiful though... it's almost enough to make me want I-10 to be rebuilt).

The trestle is really more like what I had in mind. There's little reason that a streetcar overpass would need long spans, so you could use pretty slender steel or wood beams to support the tracks, with attractively-designed support bents every 15 or 20 feet.

Quote:
If the money is there I say go for it, but I still don't see an overpass being cost effective.
If the money is coming from the Feds, then does it really matter? The FTA under Obama/LaHood hasn't met a streetcar project it didn't like. The extra ~20 million or so can probably be found somewhere in a budget.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Is this for reasons of reduced weight on the foundations? I've always wondered why structures are a bit different here. (the Westbank Expwy is beautiful though... it's almost enough to make me want I-10 to be rebuilt).

The trestle is really more like what I had in mind. There's little reason that a streetcar overpass would need long spans, so you could use pretty slender steel or wood beams to support the tracks, with attractively-designed support bents every 15 or 20 feet.

If the money is coming from the Feds, then does it really matter? The FTA under Obama/LaHood hasn't met a streetcar project it didn't like. The extra ~20 million or so can probably be found somewhere in a budget.
Well given that guys dressing up as George Washington circa 1776 and not Obama/LaHood are in charge of federal spending these days I'm not sure there is such a thing as "extra" anything when it comes to the budget.

Unless of course you're an oil & gas company or make more than a million a year....

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 10:30 PM
-

Whats the status of this project?

New St Marys Academy

New Parkview Magnet School

Napoleon Oaks Assisted Living Facility ( Ocshner Baptist Campus)

Superior Seafood(sorry I couldnt make it bigger)

Last edited by tennis1400; May 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 2:38 AM
TL;DR

I had no idea the big brick building at Baptist was unused! The hospital does seem pretty sleepy, though. It would be great to turn that building into senior housing, especially since senior housing doesn't usually need a ton of parking.

I believe Parkview is already under construction (I think this is the one on Freret/Washington behind Davis Park).

The 212 Chartres project looks great, but red flags go up when they say "subterranean parking" in the description. That's a really expensive proposition in New Orleans... the only underground garage I am aware of in the city is at the Royal Sonesta.

Last edited by ardecila; May 18, 2011 at 2:49 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 5:57 AM

Rumors abound, but no firm retail plans for Canal Street

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...-canal-street/

Someone recently floated a rumor that popular retailer H&M was interested in opening a location on Canal Street, sparking excitement among local shoppers. The Swedish company, known for its trendy but affordable clothing, operates nearly 2,200 stores in 40 countries. Retail experts said the arrival of a store like H&M would bring immediate attention to the ...

can't get the full article...

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post

Someone recently floated a rumor that popular retailer H&M was interested in opening a location on Canal Street, sparking excitement among local shoppers. The Swedish company, known for its trendy but affordable clothing, operates nearly 2,200 stores in 40 countries. Retail experts said the arrival of a store like H&M would bring immediate attention to the ...

Challenges for the corridor include contiguous properties with different owners, locked into a variety of leases
POSTED: 11:34 AM Tuesday, May 17, 2011
BY: Richard A. Webster, Staff Writer
TAGS: Downtown Development District, downtown shopping, H&M, Hammy Halum, Kurt Weigle, New Orleans Canal Street, Nicole Christie, Paul Hensel, Shelly Wills, University of New Orleans College of Business

Developers and city officials say contiguous properties with different owners presents a challenge to recruiting retailers to Canal Street. (Photo by Frank Aymami)

Someone recently floated a rumor that popular retailer H&M was interested in opening a location on Canal Street, sparking excitement among local shoppers.

The Swedish company, known for its trendy but affordable clothing, operates nearly 2,200 stores in 40 countries. Retail experts said the arrival of a store like H&M would bring immediate attention to the long-troubled downtown retail corridor and spark an economic resurgence.

There’s only one problem: H&M spokesperson Nicole Christie said they do “not have current plans to open a location in New Orleans.”

Of course, that doesn’t mean the rumor isn’t true or that the possibility is dead. National retailers are notoriously secretive when it comes to the release of information, said Shelly Wills, president of Shelly Wills and Associates, a retail consulting group contracted with the local Downtown Development District.

“They don’t want to be quoted that they’re interested,” Wills said. “They want to be quoted after they make the legal commitment and they’re ready to start marketing that they’re coming.”

In the past 15 months, nearly 20 national retailers have toured New Orleans. When asked if H&M was one of them, Wills said, “Please don’t put me under the microscope. What I can say is that we have five deals in place with significant brands (for Canal Street).”

Kurt Weigle, DDD president and CEO, responded to questions about H&M in equally cloudy terms.

“I’m not at liberty to talk about prospects in terms of retail,” he said, “but I can say we would be happy to welcome H&M to Canal Street and we’d do whatever we could to attract them here.”

The future of retail on Canal Street depends on a national brand like H&M taking that first leap of faith, said Paul Hensel, associate dean and professor of marketing at the University of New Orleans College of Business Administration. Once one major chain takes a risk, others will follow, creating a mass of customer traffic.

That’s Canal Street’s problem, he said. No one has been willing to be the pioneer and commit to a street that fell into decline two decades ago and is now lined with liquor stores and T-shirt shops with limited parking.

“A major retailer doesn’t want to move in somewhere with knockoff camera stores on either side. And you can’t
solve that problem until you really clean house down there, which isn’t going to happen,” Hensel said. “So I don’t see H&M going in without some other stuff there as well.

The decline of Canal Street took forever and it will take awhile to get it back, he said.

“I’ve heard Canal Street has coming back for 20 years, and I don’t see a lot of coming back,” Hensel said.

The tides are changing, said Weigle, who expects to make a major announcement within the year regarding national brands coming to Canal Street. Retailers have shied away from aggressive expansion throughout the country but are bullish on New Orleans, he said.

“They recognize central cities and downtowns are their next growth frontiers,” he said. “And out of all those opportunities across the U.S., I think New Orleans, because of the strength of our economy over last three years, puts us at the top of the list.”

In 60 days, Hammy Halum expects to make an announcement proving Weigle’s point. A national retailer signed a letter of intent to lease the upper and lower floors of four buildings Halum owns in the 1000 block of Canal Street.

“It’s very hush hush and confidential, but as soon as I have a signed lease I’m going to let the entire world know,” said Halum, adding that he worked with the DDD on the deal. “What Canal Street has become isn’t very inviting, but I’m excited about the future with the new hospital coming, the Bioinnovation Center and the Saenger Theater.”

It is rare for one person to own four contiguous buildings on Canal Street, making Halum’s deal unique and easier to work than most. Unlike a suburban shopping mall where one landlord owns everything, it’s a struggle in an urban environment to get neighboring property owners to agree on anything, much less a joint lease with a national retailer.

The DDD is working closely with landlords along Canal Street to identify when the leases of their current tenants expire, and the agency is preparing them to negotiate with national brands and cooperate with each other to get the best deal.

People, however, need to temper their expectations, Wills said, as it’s not the DDD’s desire to turn Canal Street into an upscale shopping corridor.

“I don’t care what brand is. We’ll take inexpensive clothing or home accessories and the luxury ones as well,” he said. “Today’s world is not about chichi Rodeo Drive. It’s about the Saks Fifth Avenue customer shopping for the value-oriented merchandise as well. We’re not going after luxury or upscale. We’re going with what people want.”

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 12:30 PM

Hyatt Regency Hotel Renovation

The 32-story hotel, which served as the Katrina headquarters for Mayor Ray Nagin, the City Council and the heads of several first responder organizations, suffered substantial water damage during the storm and has remained dormant ever since. When it reopens, the property will have undergone a $275 million overhaul that includes moving the entrance to Loyola Avenue and doubling the hotel's meeting space.

The Hyatt's more than 1,000 guest rooms will help propel the city's tourism industry closer to pre-Katrina levels of hotel capacity.

The 1,193-room hotel will include 95 suites. It will also contain two restaurants, one with an as-yet-to-be-named "celebrity chef"; a 24-hour fresh market; and a Starbucks coffee shop. The revolving rooftop restaurant is being replaced with a club-level lounge that overlooks the city and a fitness center that overlooks the Superdome and the New Orleans Arena. The lounge and fitness center will not revolve.

Smith is careful not to call the Hyatt's repairs a renovation. He said he prefers the term "redevelopment and repositioning" and said the redeveloped Hyatt will have some marked differences from the old one. For starters, the hotel has doubled its meeting space to 200,000 square feet.

Read More

Exterior of hotel and its new entrance on Loyola.

Stairway from lobby area to Empire Ballroom.

Lobby area with windows, lighting and escelator to upper floors.

The old entry way which is being converted to exhibition area.

Empire Ballroom.

New entry way facing Loyola.

The new lobby and reception area.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 1:44 PM
-

Quote:
I had no idea the big brick building at Baptist was unused! The hospital does seem pretty sleepy, though. It would be great to turn that building into senior housing, especially since senior housing doesn't usually need a ton of parking.

I believe Parkview is already under construction (I think this is the one on Freret/Washington behind Davis Park).

The 212 Chartres project looks great, but red flags go up when they say "subterranean parking" in the description. That's a really expensive proposition in New Orleans... the only underground garage I am aware of in the city is at the Royal Sonesta.
Actually it is done more than you think especially in areas close to the river. The Marriot Convention Center has it as well as Harrahs and dont forget Dickie Brennans Steakhouse is basically underground!

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 2:35 PM

Deutsches Haus in Mid-City falls to wrecking ball

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...-city_fal.html

Deutsches Haus

I'm all for the hospital project, but I still didn't think they HAD to tear down the Haus. Would it have killed the hospital to have this in their midst?

It is in the way with the current plans...but they could have built around it or redesigned the plans..

It would have been perfect for those who get too drunk!

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post

I've been seeing H&M commercials on local televison for about a year now. Makes me wonder.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 5:22 PM
-

Honestly I would give H&M the space because it would be enough of a catalyst to change the area more than anything else along with the Saenger. The city also needs to encourage more sidewalk cafes on the street. The more people the safer it feels and get rid of panhandlers and street performers thats what the quarter is for!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations