HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 6:58 PM

In the 2020 skyline view, where did the design of the 30 story office tower at the Stix roundabout come from? I had not seen anything on this project since it was announced (with no renderings of the proposal). It looks very 90's if the one depicted is just a placeholder image.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 1:08 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
In the 2020 skyline view, where did the design of the 30 story office tower at the Stix roundabout come from? I had not seen anything on this project since it was announced (with no renderings of the proposal). It looks very 90's if the one depicted is just a placeholder image.
It is indeed just a fantasy rendering on my part. The site is zoned for 30+ stories as I understand and I took the liberty of including the strong possibility that such a building could happen. There was an announcement some months ago of the purchase of the lot and of the owners intention to build an office building.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 1:16 PM

Nashville's Major League Soccer (MLS) Organizing Committee LS will hold a press conference this afternoon. They will have major celebrities at the event.

Could it be an announcement about the MLS stadium plans. Hopefully, details would include financing plans. This would be huge and make the City and major contender for an expansion franchise.

Or, Debbie Downer here, it could just be an announcement regarding the USL franchise stadium plans (use Vanderbilt's stadium).

Wait and see.

Edit: the City has just released plans to upgrade the Fairgrounds area in a way that leaves a considerable footprint for a stadium. My fantasy rendering for an aerial view of a possible stadium with the city's park proposal overlayed.

EDIT: Turns out the press conference was primarily to announce new members of the MLS recruitment committee and promote the new USL team which apparently will play in Vanderbilt's football stadium.

Last edited by MidTenn1; May 12, 2017 at 12:08 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:02 PM

I posted this in the skylines forum, but it's too cool to hide there.

You can see the 45 story, 524 ft 505CST going up in the heart of downtown and the 30 story, 460 ft Bridgestone HQ topped out to the center right in the SoBro district.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:48 PM

I would really like to see that view of the skyline without the glare of the sun. It really is a different perspective of the skyline than what we normally see. You can see how the midtown skyline has increased along with the downtown skyline. Especially SoBro.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 1:52 PM

The 505CST from a couple of weeks ago (I added the sunspots)....

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 3:38 AM
somewhere in-between

My sister is moving to Nashville in the Fall to start her master's at Vanderbilt. I can't wait to have an excuse to visit from Michigan. It will be very different from the last time I visited a few years ago.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 3:31 PM

More updated information on the Virgin Hotel in Nashville's Mid Town expected to break ground soon-ish.

http://www.blurworkshop.com/virgin-hotel-nashville/

New renderings...

A site plan...

It will be a very handsome building that will fill in the summit of the Music Row district with dignity. And the new roundabout fountains are to break ground in November.

The hotel would be in the exact center of this photo of midtown.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 4:05 AM

Big Monday night crowd on Broadway, downtown.

Celebrating Nashville Predators big win. This is why arenas and stadiums need to be downtown.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 2:16 PM

Murals, murals, murals....what's with the youngsters and all their murals?

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 5:17 AM

505CST Last evening...

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 10:47 PM

Not another new tower, but Nashville is long overdue for this...

IKEA coming to Nashville

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Not another new tower, but Nashville is long overdue for this...

IKEA coming to Nashville
That's a great boon for the Century Farm development in Antioch. Ikea tends to bring a flurry of other development nearby. Century Farms is supposed to be a mix-use development. So this should help them achieve that. The College Park, MD location saw an increase in restaurant, retail and residential development within walking distance of the Ikea. An apartment complex was literally built across the parking lot from it.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 2:28 PM

Nashville and Professional Sports; The Biggest Two Weeks Begin!!

The Nashville Predators begin their battle against the Pittsburgh Penguins this week for the National Hockey League's Stanley Cup.

The city has seen its 2nd year, NFL Tennessee Titans play in the Superbowl championship game in 1999 only to come up a yard short in a heartbreaking loss to the Rams. But, as excited as the City was about that sudden, unexpected moment, the current moment is the one in my mind that reflects most favorably on the dynamic personality, culture and coming of age of the City.

The team was awarded to the City as an expansion team in 1997 after a near miss at luring the New Jersey Devils to the newly opened 17,000+ seat arena. When the team played its first game in 1998, Nashville was a 'non-traditional', southern U. S. market and developing a fan base was very difficult at first. But over the years, and after surviving a near loss of the franchise, the City has rallied around the team in a way unlike any any other franchise. All national commentators agree that the game experience inside the arena is unmatched in the league for noise, intensity and creativity. Nashville knows how to party and it shows at Hockey games.

As Nashville began the growth boom in the 90's that is still going on stronger than ever, teams like the Spurs, Kings, Nets, Falcons, White Sox, Devils, and Expos all took long looks at relocation to the Music City. Then the NFL Houston Oilers moved to town as the Predators were beginning play and the City went from zero to 60 in professional sports play in a heartbeat. And now it is in serious contention for a new Major League Soccer expansion franchise.

Now, 20 years later, after a long slow buildup, the City feels like it has arrived as a 'big' City.The arena is located in the booming SoBro District among scores of high rises and rising structures with tons of cranes perched atop. Thousands of fans sit on plazas and parks watching the games played on viewing screens installed expressly for that purpose. If the Cup is clinched in game six,, in Nashville, there will be a party like none other as 20,000 Preds fans join 100,000 CMA Festival fans for one of the biggest parties around.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 5:47 PM

Nashville from an overpass on I-65 (courtesy of markhollin from Urban Planet).

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Nashville and Professional Sports; The Biggest Two Weeks Begin!!

The Nashville Predators begin their battle against the Pittsburgh Penguins this week for the National Hockey League's Stanley Cup.

The city has seen its 2nd year, NFL Tennessee Titans play in the Superbowl championship game in 1999 only to come up a yard short in a heartbreaking loss to the Rams. But, as excited as the City was about that sudden, unexpected moment, the current moment is the one in my mind that reflects most favorably on the dynamic personality, culture and coming of age of the City.

The team was awarded to the City as an expansion team in 1997 after a near miss at luring the New Jersey Devils to the newly opened 17,000+ seat arena. When the team played its first game in 1998, Nashville was a 'non-traditional', southern U. S. market and developing a fan base was very difficult at first. But over the years, and after surviving a near loss of the franchise, the City has rallied around the team in a way unlike any any other franchise. All national commentators agree that the game experience inside the arena is unmatched in the league for noise, intensity and creativity. Nashville knows how to party and it shows at Hockey games.

As Nashville began the growth boom in the 90's that is still going on stronger than ever, teams like the Spurs, Kings, Nets, Falcons, White Sox, Devils, and Expos all took long looks at relocation to the Music City. Then the NFL Houston Oilers moved to town as the Predators were beginning play and the City went from zero to 60 in professional sports play in a heartbeat. And now it is in serious contention for a new Major League Soccer expansion franchise.

Now, 20 years later, after a long slow buildup, the City feels like it has arrived as a 'big' City.The arena is located in the booming SoBro District among scores of high rises and rising structures with tons of cranes perched atop. Thousands of fans sit on plazas and parks watching the games played on viewing screens installed expressly for that purpose. If the Cup is clinched in game six,, in Nashville, there will be a party like none other as 20,000 Preds fans join 100,000 CMA Festival fans for one of the biggest parties around.
Can you imagine if the Spurs had relocated to Nashville with the success they've had over the past years? I'm all for MLS in Nashville. But, it would be great if Nashville could get an NBA franchise. Bridgestone Arena will be non-stop with NBA, NHL, concerts, NCAA regional action and other special events. I also think it would be good for Tennessee overall to have two NBA basketball teams. The rivalry between Nashville and Memphis would be heated among fans to say the least. Of course Memphis would be upset that Nashville would then have 3 possibly 4 professional major sports teams... Yeah, lets make this happen... especially now that Nashville is officially the largest city in Tennessee in terms of population... LOL

LETS GO PREDS!!! LETS GO PREDS!!! LETS GO PREDS!!!

Last edited by PillowTalk4; May 31, 2017 at 7:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to add ... LETS GO PREDS!!! LETS GO PREDS!!! LETS GO PREDS!!! :)

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 6:01 PM

Pillowtalk...The problem with getting an NBA team is that they would be second class citizens in the arena. As I understand, Bridgestone Arena is everything but owned by the owners of the Hockey team. They schedule events and have full control over development of the property. The deal discourages thoughts of leaving for greener pastures because there are none. The arena is the second busiest in the nation in terms of tickets sold and has become a gold mine for the Predator's ownership.

I personally think a baseball team would be more likely.(cough-Oakland A's-cough)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 1:13 PM

The City has selected a developer and plan for developing the Greer Stadium/Ft. Negley site just south of downtown.

Greer Stadium was the location of the Triple A baseball stadium for nearly 40 years. Ft. Negley was a hilltop fort for the Union forces during the occupation of Nashville in the Civil War.

They will preserve the old guitar shaped scoreboard.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Pillowtalk...The problem with getting an NBA team is that they would be second class citizens in the arena. As I understand, Bridgestone Arena is everything but owned by the owners of the Hockey team. They schedule events and have full control over development of the property. The deal discourages thoughts of leaving for greener pastures because there are none. The arena is the second busiest in the nation in terms of tickets sold and has become a gold mine for the Predator's ownership.

I personally think a baseball team would be more likely.(cough-Oakland A's-cough)
I don't disagree with regards to the arena. I believe you're right with regards to the Pred's having control over the arena. Similar to the Titan's having control over Nissan Stadium. But, there are plenty of cities with both NBA and NHL franchises that play in the same venue. I think something could be worked out between the Pred's and an NBA franchise if the NBA showed serious interest in Nashville. It would be in their best interest to stay in favor with the people of Nashville. Blocking an NBA opportunity probably wouldn't sit well with a lot of people should one ever come about.

Cities where NBA and NHL franchises share arenas: Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, New York, Philadelphia, Portland, Toronto, Washington, DC.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 2:34 PM

Graduate Hotel Brand coming to Midtown.

Per the Tennessean....

Quote:
Affiliates of the co-developer of the Gulch's Thompson Nashville hotel have paid $12.75 million for a pair of retail properties on West End Avenue with future development plans.

The 1.01 acres include the former Checkers Drive-In burger joint location at 2000 West End and 2004-2006 West End, which includes the current site of a Taco Bell restaurant.

The GRADUATE website is intriguing; note the video...

Also, there are some interesting projects in the pipeline around the country. I would be satisfied with a low-rise, if they so choose. More infill!!

They like to be associated with an urban University and picked a location near Vanderbilt. We will lose a Taco Bell and a drive thru burger shack, so that alone is wonderful.

With the Developers of the recently opened Thompson Hotel in the Gulch, a top 75 ranked US hotel, this looks to be a quality project and addition to our 'cosmopolitan metropolis'.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jun 30, 2017 at 10:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations