HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCoaster View Post
Hot damn, Alberta Highways is finally twinning hwy 63 ... about f'n time!!! From where to where and what's the proposed time line? Also, do you have any information on the longgggggggggggggg proposed paved highway from around Fort Mac to the Peace River area?
About 50 km south of Fort Mac is clear cut of trees for the road. That's about it so far. They say 5-7 years for the twinning but it looks like more than that with this pace.
The road to Fort Mac to the Peace River area, i think it was Slave Lake, is basically a dead project. It's been to many years long past since that idea has been brought up and nothing was done.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 4:08 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Can't decide which thread is most appropriate for this, so...

Anyone know what the heck is being done to Hwy 9 west of Drumheller? At some points it looks like they're twinning it (which I think would be a bit much), but at other points it just looks like they're re-routing it to be straighter.

Either way, there's a massive amount of work going on right now - hills being levelled/dug through, etc.

What's the dope?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 9:13 PM

Does anyone have any info on the Red Deer office tower being built?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 12:40 AM
HVAC guru

May 17, 2007
City Centre Office Tower to Start Soon
Preparation for the demolition of the existing buildings on the site of a new office tower in downtown Red Deer should be finished by the end of the month. The actual demolition will commence soon after followed by the two year construction of the 12-storey, $28 million, 110,000 sq. ft. building. There will also be underground parking for 105 spaces. Executive Place will feature a pair of rooftop decks at the second and sixth floors and a terrace near the top. A bank is interested in the ground floor.

http://www.reddeerregion.com/news.htm

Wow there's apparently lots going on in Red Deer!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 12:49 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Yay, Red Deer is getting a skyline!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 2:25 PM

Thumbs up Yes, This thread is a long time coming...

I can't tell you all how thrilled I am that there are others out there as interested in and hungry for development information for all the rest of the boomimg province of Alberta. I was born and raised in Lethbridge, but moved away to go to school in the early eighties (major in Geography with a specialization in urban planning at UBC in 2000) and have not made it back for a number of years. So, I have been out of touch with how these great mid-sized urban centres are managing in the context of Alberta's rapidly expanding economy. Clearly the smaller centres have been growing and I really look foward to what others of like mind may have to say about how they are coping with the challenges of managing growth. From what I can glean from various sources they are all fairing well, especially Red Deer and Lethbridge. Lets hear some more from people living in these great places: right from the horses mouth - so to speak!

More, More ... give me more! Pics would be good too!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 5:11 PM
Hicksville Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Can't decide which thread is most appropriate for this, so...

Anyone know what the heck is being done to Hwy 9 west of Drumheller? At some points it looks like they're twinning it (which I think would be a bit much), but at other points it just looks like they're re-routing it to be straighter.

Either way, there's a massive amount of work going on right now - hills being levelled/dug through, etc.

What's the dope?
Over the past few years, the province of Alberta has executed a number of upgrades to the highway, widening shoulders and realigning the road (most recently just west of Drumheller, although the new alignment now bypasses the Horseshoe Canyon landmark as a result). As of 2007, however, the province has yet to twin any stretch of the busy highway, and there have been calls for interchanges to be built at its junctions with Highway 21 and the Trans-Canada due to the number of fatal automobile accidents that have happened at these locations.

As of 2007 a much needed, full scale interchange is currently being constructed where Highway 9 crosses the Trans-Canada Highway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta...cial_highway_9

Contracts for the second phase of construction on Highway 9 have not been tendered as of yet.
This follows information received by this office that new construction in 2007 may be put off until the next year.
A phone call to Drumheller-Stettler MLA Shirley McClellan's office in Edmonton did not confirm nor deny this.
Phase one of the project heading south out of Drumheller, beyond Horseshoe Canyon is expected to be complete this summer.
The next phase from east of Highway 840 to east of Highway 836 is within the three year plan of Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation, according to Mike Znac, construction coordinator for Central Alberta.
The land acquisitions and plans for the next phase are complete. So far the project has not been tendered.
The plan calls for widening of the highway as well as improvements to make the roadway safer.
He says that the prospects of the project going ahead are very good. He says that cost of the project has gone up to the area of $19 million and cost may be one of the reasons that it has not been tendered yet, however the high traffic patterns for the area make the project a high priority.
“It’s pretty high on the list,” said Znac.
He says the next phase of construction, from west of Highway 836, west of Highway 21, including improvements to the Highway 9 and Highway 21 intersection also fall within the 2007-2008-2009 window.
Right now they are in the process of engineering for that phase of construction.

http://www.drumhellermail.com/Story%203.html

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 5:13 PM
Hicksville Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
May 17, 2007
City Centre Office Tower to Start Soon
Preparation for the demolition of the existing buildings on the site of a new office tower in downtown Red Deer should be finished by the end of the month. The actual demolition will commence soon after followed by the two year construction of the 12-storey, $28 million, 110,000 sq. ft. building. There will also be underground parking for 105 spaces. Executive Place will feature a pair of rooftop decks at the second and sixth floors and a terrace near the top. A bank is interested in the ground floor.

http://www.reddeerregion.com/news.htm

Wow there's apparently lots going on in Red Deer!
Great link for what's happening in the Red Deer area! Do you have any renderings of this new Red Deer office tower?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 5:52 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Over the past few years, the province of Alberta has executed a number of upgrades to the highway, widening shoulders and realigning the road (most recently just west of Drumheller, although the new alignment now bypasses the Horseshoe Canyon landmark as a result).
Thanks for the info!

I KNEW there was something weird about the approach to the Horseshoe viewing area; it's been a few years and I would have sworn there was no "secondary" road last time. Fortunately it's pretty well-signed getting in, but it's easy to lose your way when leaving if you're not paying attention.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 5:58 PM
ET: Quake Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geographer View Post
Ummm... Fort Mac is the most expensive city in the country to rent in.
Exactly, and on top of that you pop in a luxury condo (at least it looks like one), that doesn't do anything to help the housing shortage does it?
Battlefield 2142: 88957820

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 9:37 PM
Urban Advocate

so what should they be building? cheap woodframe POS's? Believe me, I have heard some horror stories of cheap jobs done up in the fort that have become disasters after a couple of years.

Industry builds what the market demands. If you want everyone to live in concrete bunkers, be my guest... but we've put up with that for too long.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 3:23 AM

Red Deer Region website Link a good read...

Quote:
Great link for what's happening in the Red Deer area! Do you have any renderings of this new Red Deer office tower?
Agreed, I took a good look through the "Red Deer Region" web site and found it to a great all around information resource for the most recent developments in Central Alberta and along the the Edm-Cal corridor. As the major urban area along this busy transportation corridor and dynamic trade route Red Deer is poise to explode both in population and in economic importance. By sheer luck of the draw or by the will of God, whichever applies Red Deer has that all important attribute to suceed - 'Location, Location, Location'. It's is happening already - or so it would seem - if the producers of the Red Deer Region website site are to be believed. And why not - watching this all unfold is going to be a fun ride. Can't wait! Thanks for the link.

There is also a small rendering of the Red Deer office development on a linked page titled "Major City Projects Planned and Proposed". Its Small though. If I knew how to repost images (new to this but willing to learn) I would do so. Have a peek, it looks promising.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 4:21 AM
Majestic

^ Could use a better pic if anyone has it, but here is the one on the site mentioned, with description:

12-Storey Office Building Downtown

A $28 million, 12-storey office building called Executive Place is being planned at the corner of Ross St. and 49 Ave. in downtown Red Deer on the site of the former CIBC branch. Demolition of the old building is expected to start in the spring with construction soon after and ready for occupancy by the fall of 2008. The 7,100 sq. ft. main floor will contain office space, the second floor a combination of commercial and office space. Total leaseable space will be about 100,000 sq. ft.

Flickr

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 4:23 AM
ET: Quake Wars

Finally! The only tower I usually see in Red Deer is the hospital...good for you Red Deer!
Battlefield 2142: 88957820

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 5:47 AM
Hicksville Perspective

Thanks for the rendering ... hopefully someone has a 'full scale' one they can post and preferebly in color ... to me a new 12 story office building in Red Deer is the equivalent of a new 40+ story office building in Edmonton or Calgary ... my point being the vast majority (not all but certainly the vast majority) of significant new high rise projects in Edmonton and Calgary are residential towers with very few new projects in those 2 cities being office towers ... bottom line, and to be redundant, I feel a new 12 story office tower in Red Deer is a very significant project particularly for Central Alberta ...

Last edited by SunCoaster; Jun 12, 2007 at 5:55 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 6:09 AM
Majestic

Uhhh, I don't know if you've been paying attention or not (hint: Calgary Construction Thread) but Calgary has no shortage of office construction...

Flickr

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 11:37 PM
Hicksville Perspective

Fair comment re new Calgary office tower construction ... but, I still maintain that a new 12 story office tower in Red Deer is, considering the population differences plus differences in the sizes of business and commerce etc, as significant an undertaking as a new 40+ story office tower in Calgary or Edmonton ...

Last edited by SunCoaster; Jun 12, 2007 at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 1:38 AM
I am the law!

^the floorplates are incredibly small though for an office tower - this would probably be 4 to 6 storeys just about everywhere else

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 1:50 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

It's still tall.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 5:33 AM
Urban Advocate

Yeah... smaller floorplan is right! As per the design... not bad for Red Deer, but I hate the idea that it will cheap on the curtainwall on one side (two sides I bet...).
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia