HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
Mac - is it safe to assume that all of these projects were submitted before the inclusionary zoning deadline? I'm very curious to see if the dreaded drop-off in multi-family housing permits is truly going to be a thing.

edit - never mind. after going through various other sub-pages it's fairly obvious these all went in at the last minute...
Yes, all of those are from the week January 23rd-29th. When BDS publishes the Metro Reports from this past week there will probably be a few projects submitted on the very last days of January... and then nothing.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 3:07 AM

A project at 8145 SE 6th Ave has been submitted for Type II Adjustment Review:

Quote:
Adjustmet to height 33.805 from 45′ to 55′ for the development of a new Apartment Building.
Early Assistance has been requested by LRS Architects for a project at 5734 E Burnside St:

Quote:
4-story apartment building with ground floor retail and at grade parking. 3 stories of studio and 1-2 bedroom units.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 8:41 PM

A project at 1823 SE 50th Ave has been submitted for building permit review by Otak Architects:

Quote:
New 4 story, 19 unit apartment building, includes associated sitework
A building permit was issued to CIDA Architects for a project at 7510 SE Milwaukie Ave (previously 7430 SE Milwaukie):

Quote:
New 3 story 30 unit apartment building (sits on two lots)
A building permit was issued to Ankrom Moisan Architects for Oliver Station at 5990 SE 92nd Ave and 5959 SE 92nd Ave:

Quote:
Affordable Housing Project – New mixed use, 70 dwelling unit affordable housing project. 4 stories of residential above podium with one story of retail below. Surface parking, no basement. Septic Decommissioning Required. Call for Inspection 842.

Affordable Housing Project – New 5 story, 75 dwelling unit apartment building with 4 stories of residential and 1 story of retail Septic Decommissioning Required. Call for Inspection 842.
A building permit was issued for the Seven Corners Community Collaborative at 2475 SE Ladd Ave:

Quote:
Construct new 4 story office building with retail and parking on ground floor, offices on floors 2-4, includes associated site work

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 2:22 AM

Early Assistance has been requested by Urban Development Group to discuss changes to a project at 1707 SE Tenino St:

Quote:
New 4-story apartment building (89 units total). Please note – there is already an existing building permit for the project, but he wants to add the affordable housing aspect to forgo the parking requirement. See CO 17-112446. If he finds he can proceed with the project as proposed for this EA, he will cancel the previously applied-for CO permit and get a new one, with the parking removed.
Early Assistance has been requested by Urban Development Group to discuss changes to a project at 5965 SE Milwaukie Ave:

Quote:
New 4-story apartment building (54 units total). Please note – there is already an existing building permit for the project, but he wants to add the affordable housing aspect to forgo the parking requirement. See CO 16-171002. If he finds he can proceed with the project as proposed for this EA, he will cancel the previously applied-for CO permit and get a new one, with the parking removed.
A project at 8248 SE Flavel St has been submitted for building permit review by Allusa Architecture:

Quote:
Construct 2 story 6 unit apartment building, no basement, includes all site work, detached trash enclosure 120 sq ft

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 7:01 AM

A project at 527 SE Spokane St has been submitted for Type II Design Review:

Quote:
Design review for a new 4-plex (four housing units) that is unable to meet Community Design Standards. Adjustments requested to parking and setbacks. Unable to provide 4 parking spaces; seeking to provide 2 (see CO 16-287526)
A project at 9316 SE Woodstock Blvd has been submitted for building permit review:

Quote:
Construct 2-story mixed use 3 unit apartment building, ground floor to include storage, 1-residential unit, 2 bathrooms, gaming and dining area, and service bar; second floor to include 2-residential units, roof top bar. Covered trash enclosure under permit 17-130103.***sprinklers under separate permit.***
Building permits were issued to Siteworks Design | Build for three buildings at 3660-3670 SE 29th Ave:

Quote:
New construction- 4/story multifamily apartment building (building 1 of 3), 17 units, new access drive, 51 parking spaces, pedestrian site circulation, landscape areas and storwater facilites

New construction- 4/story multifamily apartment building (building 2 of 3), 36 units

New construction- 4/story multifamily apartment building (building 3 of 3), 22 units

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Retirees develop PDX Commons on Belmont

A four-story contemporary condominium building is going up along Southeast Belmont Street with a unique twist on who is doing the developing.

"The thing that's so different about this project is it's being built by the people who are going to live in it," said project founder Jim Swenson. "From the beginning, three families started in 2013 and we've been building out a membership."

So far, 25 households have been recruited and only two units are left available, but are likely to be committed before the project is finished mid-June.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:54 PM

Early Assistance has been requested by Woodblock Architecture for a project at 1604 E Burnside St:

Quote:
Demo existing building for development of a new 83 room Hostel with related spaces, a restaurant and coffee shop. No parking provided.
A project at 6515 SE 78th Ave has been submitted for building permit review by Mentrum Architecture:

Quote:
New 2-story, 3-unit apartment building with 1 parking pad and associated site work, attached trash enclosure. No mechanical.
A building permit was issued to Holst Architecture for the Asian Health and Services Center at 9035 SE Foster Rd:

Quote:
Construct new 3 story 30,140 sf office building with assembly space on level 3 and ground floor commercial lease space, includes onsite parking and associated site work

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Housing Bureau Picks Property to Buy With Airbnb Money

Three years ago, Portland City Hall approved a tax on Airbnbs and other short term rentals to spend on affordable housing. Now the Portland Housing Bureau has selected its first purchase using short-term rental tax dollars: a 50,000-square-foot property at 3000 SE Powell Blvd. with a price tag of $3.72 million. The land could be developed into as many as 300 units of affordable housing using funds from another pot of money: a chunk of the $258 million housing bond. (The city is still picking those projects.)
...via the Willamette Week.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:22 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

There's zero chance the city can replace as many units as Airbnb is taking away.

Zero.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:56 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
There's zero chance the city can replace as many units as Airbnb is taking away.

Zero.
Not necessarily. More study needed. For example, during the summer I am an Airbnb host of a guest suite in my basement. Believe me, I am not withholding housing from the rental market. There are a lot of Portland Airbnb hosts that are doing the same.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 5:53 AM

It's hard to measure. There are a lot of hotel projects in the works at the moment. If air bnb policy was more leanient, there would be more of them and maybe a few of those hotel projects would be housing instead. may or may not be true, but who knows?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 6:05 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
It's hard to measure.
Indeed it is, but all you have to do is start clicking through listings and you'll see many that have review after review for July 2017, July 2017, July 2017, July 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017... etc etc etc... which means there's no way somebody actually lives there.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 7:39 AM
A before E

Quote:
Indeed it is, but all you have to do is start clicking through listings and you'll see many that have review after review for July 2017, July 2017, July 2017, July 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017, June 2017... etc etc etc... which means there's no way somebody actually lives there.
That still doesn't mean it would be a rental if it wasn't an AirBnB unit. I have a friend that has a bedroom in his house that is available bedroom on AirBnB, but he has never had any plans to rent out the room as a rental because it is basically his guest room.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
How so? I rent out my basement to airbnb guests almost nonstop. I live in the upstairs. I hear other airbnb hosts are super busy this summer as well. If not airbnb, I wouldn't bother with a renter. I did that for 9 years.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 5:27 PM

My sister and I own our childhood home in NE which we inherited when our mom passed away last week. We now rent that house out.

She lives in California, I live in Norway. We really want to maintain ties to the Portland area and want a place to call our own.

Our solution is to build an ADU where the unused garage currently stands. We'll probably use it 6 weeks out of the year and rent it out the rest of the time through airbnb or to students who won't use it in the summer. For people traveling with children short term rentals are a godsend since you can get a couple of bedrooms, a living room and a kitchen for a heck of a lot less than it costs to rent a suite in some sterile hotel. We've done it many times in many cities. It's nice to live in a neighborhood and not a business district and to live in a dwelling with some soul.

If it weren't for airbnb we wouldn't even consider it and the bank obviously wouldn't lend us money to build it. We're not big scale investors but this project will give work to both architects and other tradespeople.

My point is that the short term rental market can be very nuanced and isn't necessarily taking away units from other uses.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 7:51 PM

Are there future plans for residential buildings around the Clinton St/SE 12th MAX station? I did some Orange Line exploring this weekend and couldn't help but think that station is a little useless at the time being. Residents on the north side of the tracks are prevented from accessing the station if a freight train is going by and the land in the immediate vicinity to the south of the station is a fire fighting training facility and run down industrial buildings. There is certainly a lot of potential there though.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Are there future plans for residential buildings around the Clinton St/SE 12th MAX station? I did some Orange Line exploring this weekend and couldn't help but think that station is a little useless at the time being. Residents on the north side of the tracks are prevented from accessing the station if a freight train is going by and the land in the immediate vicinity to the south of the station is a fire fighting training facility and run down industrial buildings. There is certainly a lot of potential there though.
No idea about any specific plans for housing over there but I do know that the city is planning to rebuild the ped bridge (the one that was demolished) from the neighborhood on the N side of tracks over to the station vicinity.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 1:31 PM

Quote:
The current zoning is industrial and doesn't allow housing. However the City adopted new zoning that will allow housing and include the site in the central city plan - that takes effect next year. TriMet is replacing the ped bridge that was removed after the feds allowed them to use leftover money from the Orange Line project.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
No idea about any specific plans for housing over there but I do know that the city is planning to rebuild the ped bridge (the one that was demolished) from the neighborhood on the N side of tracks over to the station vicinity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
The current zoning is industrial and doesn't allow housing. However the City adopted new zoning that will allow housing and include the site in the central city plan - that takes effect next year. TriMet is replacing the ped bridge that was removed after the feds allowed them to use leftover money from the Orange Line project.

Good to know! That could be a pretty nice little transit oriented development in the future.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Good to know! That could be a pretty nice little transit oriented development in the future.
Forgot to mention that there's another ingredient for success at this triangle - two major property owners. One is the City fire bureau and the other is a private entity, Stacy and Witbeck. Stacy and Witbeck was the prime contractor for the Orange Line project and their Portland office is very close to this site. I could easily see a deal happen here between SW and the City to see a complete redevelopment. There are a few other property owners on the edge, but with relatively small pieces of the puzzle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland