HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 2:55 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Aren't much of Richmond and Delta composed of bogs and wetland in flood plains? Are they even practical to develop?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 3:18 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Aren't much of Richmond and Delta composed of bogs and wetland in flood plains? Are they even practical to develop?
A huge part of Delta is, but I accounted for that in my extremely scientific analysis of guessing undeveloped area based on google earth. The remainder of Richmond's farmland is to my knowledge no different than all the farmland that has been developed and is now covered by suburbs.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 10:39 PM
ARTchitecture

I'm pretty sure Southern Ontario is referred to as the "Ontario Peninsula" in some geographic texts. I'll do some digging, as I'm minoring in Geography.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:51 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I'm pretty sure Southern Ontario is referred to as the "Ontario Peninsula" in some geographic texts. I'll do some digging, as I'm minoring in Geography.
I tried looking for it myself and couldn't find it, but in a historical geography class I took I'm pretty sure I remember it being referred to as "the Great Western Peninsula" at some point.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 3:29 PM
Montérégien

"La péninsule ontarienne" is a common expression in French. Québec's first botanist, le Frère Marie-Victorin, used it in his famous work, "La flore laurentienne", 1935 (The Laurentian Flora, free translation). Also, in the 1700s, the whole exploration and colonization of the Pays-d'en-Haut gave rise to the expression "Péninsule ontarienne", as this area served as a base camp for the explorers and their First Nations allies (see the memoirs of La Vérendrye, for instance). Today, it's still quite commonly used, for example, in weather reports. It usually describes the area located between the laurentian piedmont (understand : the Gananoque-Kawartha-Midland diagonal) and lakes Huron, Erie and Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 6:29 PM
Registered Drug User

I've never heard the term "Ontario Peninsula" before, but the Niagara Peninsula is fairly well known.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_Peninsula

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 6:33 PM

As Laceoflight says, it's not uncommon here for it to be called that. It's got water on three sides, so, yeah.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:38 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Both regions have their Canadian side feel much "newer", whether it's infrastructure, density, culture, demographics etc. Even though Seattle is still a new city by American standards, it feels like Vancouver feels more "21st century", while Seattle is more similar to what it was like one generation ago, in the 80s.
What on earth? If you swapped Vancouver for Portland I'd agree but Seattle is a much more impressive, built up city than Vancouver IMO. It's a real big city, Vancouver is a wannabe with small town infrastructure.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada