HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 9:41 PM
What could go wrong?

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Jul 20, 2016 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:13 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Just drove out to Selkirk to pick up my new lawn mower and noticed that a pair of 18 inch gas lines are being installed from McPhillips Road to the steel mill. Is Manitoba Hydro losing its third large customer?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Just drove out to Selkirk to pick up my new lawn mower and noticed that a pair of 18 inch gas lines are being installed from McPhillips Road to the steel mill. Is Manitoba Hydro losing its third large customer?
What you see is the Northwest Winnipeg Natural gas reliability project.

runs from an existing line near Selkirk MB (valve station on Pistburg St) to another existing line near PTH 101 and Selkirk Ave in Winnipeg.

Here is the route from the Hydro web site

https://www.hydro.mb.ca/projects/exp...cation_map.pdf

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 10:35 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

thats the old coal plant upgrades for wpg backup power

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
thats the old coal plant upgrades for wpg backup power
As far as I know the East Selkirk steam plant gets its gas from east side of the Red river. If I am not mistaken MH put a new line from the TransCanada Pipeline in just for that station.

These pipes ties into the line to Stonewall and gives that area more gas and also allows sort of a ring to flow gas in the north west area outside Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 1:33 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
What you see is the Northwest Winnipeg Natural gas reliability project.

runs from an existing line near Selkirk MB (valve station on Pistburg St) to another existing line near PTH 101 and Selkirk Ave in Winnipeg.

Here is the route from the Hydro web site

https://www.hydro.mb.ca/projects/exp...cation_map.pdf
Interesting, thanks!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 6:08 PM

Today Stantec set up a small tent in front of their office on Portage Avenue handing out cold water bottles to any and all passerby... nice touch on a sweltering hot day.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Province seeks public's input on recycling plans

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...388386651.html
- I think the number one focus should be on commercial recycling, especially retail and restaurants. I think after 20 years, residents are pretty good at it — and don't produce the majority anyway. There are sooo many businesses and strip malls that don't even have recycling, or at best only recycle cardboard. However, I always see so many garbage bins with cardboard because when the recycling is full, it's gotta go somewhere. Restaurants are notorious for not recycling tins, plastic, cans, etc. I'd like to see more mandatory recycling rules and penalties for not following them. It actually is possible to get a ticket for not recycling, cardboard (from experience at a former workplace), but never seems to happen.

- Lots of places also just toss their beer bottles instead of returning because it can be a pretty big hassle. I'd like to see bottle deposits rise to somewhere in the 25 cent range to motivate people to return. In many European cities the deposits on plastic and glass bottles are significant. It's interesting because it also has helped the homeless people in cities like Copenhagen and Berlin because they pick up any that are left around because they can make good money returning them.

- It's also time to start composting already in Winnipeg. Just do it. There will be lots of cost savings in landfill diversion and free fertilizer for City parks and plant beds. On the commercial note, I have to commend Earls Polo. By far the best company I've worked for in this matter. Recycled EVERYTHING, composted all food scraps, paper, etc. When we started composting the amount our trash output dropped was staggering. Went from 3 BFI trash pickups a week (always overflowing) to 1 smaller one.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 4:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I saw that in Spain too. It made me uncommonly happy.
I found European dogs to be much more well behaved and gentle, quieter and most seemed to be walking a lot more and in much better shape!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 2:32 AM

Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I saw that in Spain too. It made me uncommonly happy.
Yes, I also when in Spain witnessed dogs eating @ the same table as their owners and were so behaved. More so than most N American children.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I found European dogs to be much more well behaved and gentle, quieter and most seemed to be walking a lot more and in much better shape!
Very true, dogs are so well behaved in Europe, allowed in many eating establishments either on patios and some indoors and also they in very good shape.
The same can be said for the children and adults as well in Europe.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 2:54 PM

Does anyone think the MMIW inquiry will only cost $53 million. I am calling this now. It will be well over $100 million. Money wasted on lawyers and travel that could have been used for frontline services for IW. This is all about politics in my view.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:22 PM

Everything coming out of Ottawa is about politics. I agree that the inquiry costs will likely double the budget as 1,800 cases are investigated in detail, only to come up with conclusions that are already known. The root causes of MMIW are not a mystery, but correcting those problems will remain a challenge for the foreseeable future. This is all about taking action for political gain.

edit: 1,800 is a number that I'd heard earlier today, but fact checking myself, I see that the number varies wildly depending on the source. Regardless, it sounds like the inquiry will have the power to investigate individual cases to the extent they deem required. Who knows how long and involved this inquiry may be.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 3:04 PM

Taken from Construction Thread ..for obvious reasons..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I stand with other dog owners here and question the precedent that dogs rank above people!

Alas I'm not a dog owner. I like dogs, but some dog worship nowadays seems hilarious, usually coming from the anti-kid crowd.

However, disregarding my sarcasm above, I'm all for accommodating dog owners. Give them what they want, who cares?

There is a difference. I cannot speak for Spain/Italy, but I was recently in Austria and elsewhere among central Europe... and dogs are infinitely better behaved. Cheerful, calm, know their place.

Infinitely better behaved. Night and day.

They are trained so much better, and their owners so much more casual.

In North America, a lot of dog owners seem to apply the "special snowflake" treatment to their pets and we as a society wonder why the animals are behaving as badly as millenials.
I've seen both in my experiences in Europe and North America in dealing/working with animals.Cultural differences.

I've had the same experiences here as well. There are well behaved animals and owners en-masse, located right here in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 3:18 PM

I, as a millennial, fackin hate people who talk so much crap. I work my ass off for everything I have. I'm not lazy, I'm not stupid either. I don't stare at my phone endlessly. My mortgage is my only debt. What's wrong with that? My friends are the same. Get over it.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I, as a millennial, fackin hate people who talk so much crap. I work my ass off for everything I have. I'm not lazy, I'm not stupid either. I don't stare at my phone endlessly. My mortgage is my only debt. What's wrong with that? My friends are the same. Get over it.
Every generation claims the ones that follow are flawed. This has been happening forever. On the whole, Millennials have issues but they are better than previous generations in many respects that get lost on the us older folk.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 1:13 AM

credit where credit is due

I know many people have already said this, but thanks, Cyro. You are doing one heck of a job. I would have used a stronger word, but Granny Algorythm kept changing it to he'll.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 2:30 AM

I agree. he is doing a great job!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 5:21 PM

I heard a credible rumor today that a lady in her 80's from outside Swift Current has won the $60 million Lotto Max prize.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I heard a credible rumor today that a lady in her 80's from outside Swift Current has won the $60 million Lotto Max prize.
I bet all of her descendants are pretty pumped about that news.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan