HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I agree that the US does a good job of branding and that Canada just doesn't really, but it doesn't have to be that way.

I struggle to think of what could be marketed that way though. The Lions Gate Bridge? The Peace Tower? Neither are particularly interesting examples of bridges or capital buildings.
If you want a bridge what about the confederation bridge? A modern marvel of engineering. The parliament buildings are much better than any state capitol in the US.
Other famous landmarks:
-State Olympique, with the tallest leaning tower
-Niagara falls, hello?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 10:04 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
If you want a bridge what about the confederation bridge? A modern marvel of engineering. The parliament buildings are much better than any state capitol in the US.
Other famous landmarks:
-State Olympique, with the tallest leaning tower
-Niagara falls, hello?
The Confederation Bridge is definitely cool but I don't think it's "big" enough to really be a famous landmark. It's obviously long, but it's not quite the same.

I don't think the Parliament buildings are very interesting. And I've never heard of the Stade Olympique outside of these forums. I don't think it has the recognition that Canadians think it does. Certainly not around people who weren't around for the Olympics.

Good point about Niagara Falls though, I was too focused on cities.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 10:11 PM

In any case, the most famous Canadian landmarks that represent peoples' views of our country are typically natural landmarks. Niagara Falls, Banff, the rockies, Hopewell, our lakes, national parks....

(and don't forget the Fairmont Hotels: Chateau Frontenac, Lac Louise, Laurier...)

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
with 45 times Canada's population, I am sure most Chinese Supertall buildings are being (or will be) used. Certainly the most impressive big three cluster anywhere on earth:

skyrisecities.com
That actually makes me shiver.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The Confederation Bridge is definitely cool but I don't think it's "big" enough to really be a famous landmark. It's obviously long, but it's not quite the same.

I don't think the Parliament buildings are very interesting. And I've never heard of the Stade Olympique outside of these forums. I don't think it has the recognition that Canadians think it does. Certainly not around people who weren't around for the Olympics.

Good point about Niagara Falls though, I was too focused on cities.
Americans are just way better than Canadians (or most anyone else) at creating iconography. And of course they have their entertainment industry to further things along.

The Gateway Arch and the Space Needle for example aren't standout landmarks compared to a lot of stuff you might find in Canada, but more people know them than our stuff because they appear in American movies, TV shows, etc.

If the Big O or the Parliament Buildings were in the second largest city and the capital of the U.S. they'd be way more known to people worldwide. You wouldn't have to change a single thing to how those buildings look.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I'd wish we would focus more on making our urban (and especially suburban) environments more interesting and enticing to non-vehicular traffic (i.e., walkability), instead of focusing on tall buildings. Tall buildings are neither necessary nor sufficient for making great cities.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That actually makes me shiver.
It is very cool, but far from the most interesting part of Shanghai. Most of Shanghai looks like this:

wookie's pedia

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:15 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Americans are just way better than Canadians (or most anyone else) at creating iconography. And of course they have their entertainment industry to further things along.

The Gateway Arch and the Space Needle for example aren't standout landmarks compared to a lot of stuff you might find in Canada, but more people know them than our stuff because they appear in American movies, TV shows, etc.

If the Big O or the Parliament Buildings were in the second largest city and the capital of the U.S. they'd be way more known to people worldwide. You wouldn't have to change a single thing to how those buildings look.
I agree, maybe I've just been drinking the US media kool-aid a little too much myself. Still, I do think we fall behind in the level of grandeur of our landmarks, whether they're famous or not, though I suppose that's to be expected when we're just a much smaller country.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:55 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I agree, maybe I've just been drinking the US media kool-aid a little too much myself. Still, I do think we fall behind in the level of grandeur of our landmarks, whether they're famous or not, though I suppose that's to be expected when we're just a much smaller country.
That's true, but pragmatism sometimes runs more deeply in this country than the polity next door.

Whether that's a good thing or not depends on your take of the situation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada