HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 10:48 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I wish they'd use something like "Red Line" or "Blue Line"
They tried. It didn't stick.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:32 PM

Is this the first organization confirmed to set up shop in Schuylkill Yards?

https://technical.ly/philly/2017/11/...covery-center/

Quote:
Drexel University will house Pennsylvania’s first Fabric Discovery Center, a statewide hub aimed at manufacturing and research on smart fabrics. It’s a partnership between Drexel and the Department of Defense–backed Advanced Functional Fabrics of America (AFFOA).

The center, the first such hub outside of AFFOA’s home state of Massachusetts, will be housed in the Schuylkill Yards development. The plans will also bring together research and expertise from universities across the state that are also members of AFFOA, including Carnegie Mellon, Penn State University and Jefferson University.
Was also reported here:

http://www.thecampingcanuck.com/coat...s-market/6474/

Quote:
As per reliable sources, Pennsylvania’s Fabric Discovery Center will be housed at Schuylkill Yards, which is the Drexel University’s innovation-driven economic development tie-up with the Brandywine Realty Trust, in the year 2018. It has also been reported that the center will bring together, reliable expertise from universities across the state, who apparently will also be members of AFFOA. Additionally, sources cite that the center will be equipped to provide a rather advanced manufacturing facility that would help develop functional fabric prototypes for production.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:42 PM

^^Love it! Let's go!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:37 PM

So.. if Amazon came to Schuylkill Yards, which buildings would they use? I had been assuming they were using all of it. I would wager they at least get the big tower, and some of the ones around it?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
So.. if Amazon came to Schuylkill Yards, which buildings would they use? I had been assuming they were using all of it. I would wager they at least get the big tower, and some of the ones around it?
I really dont think specific building heights are nailed down yet. I would be surprised if what we see built even look like the renderings. IF they get a big client I'm sure taller buildings can be built to accommodate such a thing. Also, Amazon does not HAVE to go to SY. The city recommended 3 sites, does not mean Amazon wants all or any of their operations in any of those 3.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Haven't you heard, Schuylkill Yards is off...

"Confident Philadelphia Officials Preemptively Raze Center City To Make Room For Amazon Headquarters"
https://www.theonion.com/confident-p...ent-1820509855

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 3:11 AM

11/30/2017

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 11:08 PM

Video from PBS on HQ2 with lots of time spent in Philly and Schuylkill Yards.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/ci...is-it-worth-it

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 5:35 PM

Those 16:1 odds grabbed my attention - not because I find consensus of the masses to be often correct, but as a potential for putting my money where my mouth is.

Currently, I give Philly 40% chance of landing HQ2. I'm starting to think maybe I should head over to here and wager some cash.

Update: For any locals wanting to do it through that website, you have to use a VPN as it doesn't allow bets from the US.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:54 PM

With new large lease, Spark Therapeutics stays true to West Philly roots

Quote:
Spark Therapeutic Inc. has signed a large lease at One Drexel Plaza in the University City neighborhood of Philadelphia where it currently maintains its headquarters.

The company took 107,669 square feet at 3001-3025 Market St., a building that Brandywine Realty Trust is redeveloping as part of its massive Schuylkill Yards development. The lease was signed Nov. 20 and will run for 15 years, according to documents Spark filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Under terms of the agreement, Spark has a 7-month abatement with Brandywine and then its base rent will cost between $17.50 a square foot and $35 a square foot and be subject to 2.5 percent annual rent increases, according to the SEC documents. The lease also provides Spark a tenant improvement allowance, money that is spent fitting out the space, of $6.6 million.

Spark, which has been growing ever since it spun out of Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia four years ago, also reserved the right to take additional space in One Drexel Plaza, including the building’s fourth floor and certain space on the garden level. It also locked in three consecutive 5-year renewals beyond the initial 15-year lease.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ywine-cre.html

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
With new large lease, Spark Therapeutics stays true to West Philly roots

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ywine-cre.html

Is this lease for the old Bulletin building just west of the park that Drexel is rebuilding at 30th St?
If so, does anyone have a sense of how many sq. ft. are in this building?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Is this lease for the old Bulletin building just west of the park that Drexel is rebuilding at 30th St?
If so, does anyone have a sense of how many sq. ft. are in this building?
Yes, 3001 Market is the Bulletin Building. I thought it was interesting because Brandywine was pitching that to Amazon as space that would be immediately available if they were to choose the site for HQ2.

Also, why is the address given as 3001-3025 Market St.?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, 3001 Market is the Bulletin Building. I thought it was interesting because Brandywine was pitching that to Amazon as space that would be immediately available if they were to choose the site for HQ2.
Yeah I'm not sure this bodes well for our chances... How much space is in the Bulletin building anyway?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 1:01 AM

I don’t get the angst over a lease. Is Brandywine supposed to wait for Amazon to make up its mind before leasing any of its available space? I think not. Also, if they’re really concerned about having immediate availability for Amazon, I’m sure they could put a Lou Holtz style “Notre Dame clause“ in the lease.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I don’t get the angst over a lease. Is Brandywine supposed to wait for Amazon to make up its mind before leasing any of its available space? I think not. Also, if they’re really concerned about having immediate availability for Amazon, I’m sure they could put a Lou Holtz style “Notre Dame clause“ in the lease.
No angst, just find it all interesting. I'm thrilled Schuylkill Yards is happening with or without Amazon.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:09 PM

Quote:
No angst, just find it all interesting. I'm thrilled Schuylkill Yards is happening with or without Amazon.
Indeed, I think it's good news. There's plenty of space for expansion, should a certain internet retailer decide to move in. In fact, a project that's already beginning to sign tenants might actually be a signal of vitality that proves attractive to them and others. As others have noted, this is GOING to happen. The question is how fast.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Indeed, I think it's good news. There's plenty of space for expansion, should a certain internet retailer decide to move in. In fact, a project that's already beginning to sign tenants might actually be a signal of vitality that proves attractive to them and others. As others have noted, this is GOING to happen. The question is how fast.
and how tall?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
If Philly gets picked in the great Amazon give away I'm sure whatever their short term needs are will be meant, the City will move heaven and hell to accommodate.

Won't 2400 Market St have a pile of unclaimed space when they open next year, and about a year ago Children's Hospital moved out of 3535 Market St. leaving over 200K sq. ft. waiting to be leased, is that still on the Market.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 5:34 PM

^ I don't recall what the RFP said about how much space was needed how soon, but I'd imagine that there's plenty of available space for the immediate needs of Amazon, even with signing some tenants in that building/area in the meantime. The bigger issue is the ability to quickly expand as things ramp up. All of those nice vacant lots aren't going anywhere in the short-run, so I have no worries.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 5:40 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
^ I don't recall what the RFP said about how much space was needed how soon, but I'd imagine that there's plenty of available space for the immediate needs of Amazon, even with signing some tenants in that building/area in the meantime. The bigger issue is the ability to quickly expand as things ramp up. All of those nice vacant lots aren't going anywhere in the short-run, so I have no worries.
^
Does the RFP state a transition period of moving people into new or existing buildings once the city has been selected? This requirement should be the same for any city that gets picked. And, I'm sure that there will be tons of positions being advertised to be filled so as new office space comes online, Amazon will continue to snag it up. It's not like 50k people will descend upon the city and start working at the moment the decision is made.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals