HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 12:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post

Realistically - aside from Quebec - is it really difficult to change professional designations aside from the bureaucracy? I would have no problem moving to another province and practicing my career. Maybe other professions are different?
I think you're right. It's not really that hard to move between most of the provinces for professionals. Education and certifications are generally recognized and it's often just a question of a simple application (and payment of course) to the certifying body in the new province.

I'm from a multi-province family and lots of people have moved around without any problems getting certified.

The toughest one, though not impossible, is Quebec. Even for francophones from outside Quebec it can sometimes be complicated so it's not always a language thing (at least not for them) but a question of training and various other criteria. So you have to have passed Quebec Test 4Gfhy545 of Quebec Course ZZZZ57678 in order to be able to work in Quebec. An anglo who went to McGill won't have this issue because McGill of course meets all of the Quebec requirements, whereas an Acadian from the Université de Moncton might not have them.

As I said, it's not impossible to overcome this but it is more complicated. It's one of the reasons there are so many Acadians working in Ottawa in the Franco-Ontarian milieu. (Even though perhaps a majority of them end up living in Gatineau...)

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:07 PM

I've probably shared this before, so my dads cousins daughter, i guess she is somehow my cousin, came to canada with her husband from south africa a number of years ago. He has something to do with computers and was offered a job and they were approved to immigrate and are on Vancouver Island. She is a qualified teacher and taught for a number of years when they lived in the UK. She got to BC and was told she couldn't teach in any BC public schools blah blah blah. She did however qualify to work at any public school in Ontario but that wasn't an option, so she is in a private school on the island and most of her colleagues are in the same boat as her, and a large amount of them are also from South Africa.

So i guess it seems depending what province you end up in they may or may not recognize your degrees etc. Seems kinda strange, especially to immigrants.

Do you think it has to do with unions like the BCTF? who weilds a lot of power out in BC.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:52 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I've probably shared this before, so my dads cousins daughter, i guess she is somehow my cousin, came to canada with her husband from south africa a number of years ago. He has something to do with computers and was offered a job and they were approved to immigrate and are on Vancouver Island. She is a qualified teacher and taught for a number of years when they lived in the UK. She got to BC and was told she couldn't teach in any BC public schools blah blah blah. She did however qualify to work at any public school in Ontario but that wasn't an option, so she is in a private school on the island and most of her colleagues are in the same boat as her, and a large amount of them are also from South Africa.

So i guess it seems depending what province you end up in they may or may not recognize your degrees etc. Seems kinda strange, especially to immigrants.

Do you think it has to do with unions like the BCTF? who weilds a lot of power out in BC.
The situation you are describing is so vague that I can't really draw any conclusions from it. In some places teaching is quite highly regulated, in others not very much at all.

Whereas a profession like engineering is very regulated the world over. I'm sure an engineer that had practiced in the UK would likely meet most of the criteria for acceptance as a P.Eng in Canada, aside from some bureaucratic quibbles.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
The situation you are describing is so vague that I can't really draw any conclusions from it. In some places teaching is quite highly regulated, in others not very much at all.

Whereas a profession like engineering is very regulated the world over. I'm sure an engineer that had practiced in the UK would likely meet most of the criteria for acceptance as a P.Eng in Canada, aside from some bureaucratic quibbles.
Yes and no. Engineering can be difficult or at least historically was. My uncle an engineer in Germany and the Netherlands came to Canada in the late 80's and and was told he would have to go back to university and take a few courses to work as an engineer at the time (he looked at Alberta and Ontario). Interesting thing for him back then was he was perfectly qualified to teach at the same university the courses we was to take.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada