HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
^ I like how you said 2000 because that's when everything was GOOD. We still had the Twins, the Stock Market reached an ALL TIME high.
2000 really was a great year, but one note, that was also the same year the .com boom came to a halt and led to a downturn that was only further exacerbated by 9/11.

Quote:
Everyone was happy. The only people who were unemployed were the ones who deliberately didn't want to work.
Or if you'd lost your job as a programmer or web developer as a result of said boom. I had friends that did lose their jobs, and ended up going back into Finance.

Quote:
The Trade Center was full of activity (an all time high), and FULL of tenants. The Windows on the World restaurant reached an all times sales record and become the TOP restaurant in the U.S. The underground mall became the (one OF) the most visited malls in the U.S and definitely the most visited in NYC.
In 2000, the Twins were 98% leased. Despite the 1993 bombings, companies continued to move into the WTC because of its large floor plans, and cheaper cost relative to leasing in Midtown Manhattan. About the mall, I went in there often during my lunch breaks to do shopping, and it was always packed with tourists.

Quote:
The President was still Bill Clinton. There were NO wars. The Trade Center was in every movie literally from left to right. The WORLD Trade Center really brought the world together (let me explain). The window washer at the WTC was Russian. A custodian (last person to come out the Trade Center alive on 9/11) was Hispanic. The architect was Japanese (American). People from all over the world worked for companies tenanted at the Trade Center (from China, India, Middle East, Africa, Europe, Brazil, Canada, Australia etc.) That's something we will NEVER get back.
Nope, it's just history now. Sadly.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
One of the interesting things is before 9/11 an act like what Philippe Petit on the Twin Towers in 1974 would not end up in someone getting shot, but if something like that happened today they would shoot first and ask questions later. We lost our innocence on 9/11. I wished the new World Trade Center would have the same effect, but we will never now till 30 years after 9/11.
I don't know if you've seen Wolfgang Staehle's video, but here's a link to a story on it:

http://click.si.edu/Story.aspx?story=32

Staehle intended it to represent the banality of surveillance, because nothing ever really changed day to day, prior to 9/11, on the New York City skyline. When it captured the strike, he said, "I stood in history's bath and it ran over me."

He was innocent, and he wasn't expecting it. I don't think we've lost our innocence as much as we've had a difficult time being forced into consciousness. 9/11 is partially the result of technology changing in a way that would have allowed the terrorists to engineer a major strike, and partially because that terrorist unit was evolving into a force that would engineer such a strike, which was something that we would have anticipated as a public if we'd been aware of it enough to anticipate it.

There's a long history of our engagement with the Middle East that set the stage for this or something similar as a result of how we'd engaged and drawn out post-Gulf, but for the public, that stage was an occasional news blot and no one was conscious of the repercussions. We would have lost our innocence eventually, what we should miss is prior consciousness.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 9:01 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
I miss these towers like you wouldn't believe. I miss the people I worked with, the elevator trek to the 99th floor, the views, the great food and entertainment that could be had at the WTC, the way New York and the world was before 9/11, just absolutely perfect (well, maybe not perfect, but certainly comfortable.)

I can't even put it into words, because there are no words to describe it. New York in 1998 - 2000 was a very special place. You had to be there. And it'll never be the same again.
Agreed.I was actually born after the 1993 bombing,and my earliest childhood in New York had the Twin Towers in it. 2001 was the last year I spent continually living in Queens and then me and my dad moved to Florida. 9/11 happened a few months after. You never know what you have until you lose it. Wonder how life would be like if 9/11 never happened.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 11:23 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Lost views inside Windows of the World

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 12:20 AM
World Machine

Straight out of the 1980's however it looked like a nice place nonetheless - something I would've like to have experienced.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 4:07 PM
Crane Goddess

I would have liked to go there too. That would have been worth saving up for.
I remember my first day in NYC, september 2010. I remember wondering what I would do first- visit some skyscrapers, walk the Brooklyn Bridge, perhaps? Well, I know what I would have done, had the Twin Towers survived their wounds on 9/11. I would have made a beeline for the South Tower Lobby, headed straight for the roof, ticket in hand. And what I day for it it would have been. I remember how clear the blue sky was, how incredibly warm it was that day.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 12:31 PM
don't *meddle*...

Manhattan skyline von le.suede auf Flickr

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 6:07 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Awesome. I hope I'll be able to take that same picture angle when 1 WTC is done. Here's another video

Video Link

Last edited by jd3189; Mar 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 3:19 AM

Great video!! I love that tune and the imagery was fantastic. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 3:51 PM

Not mine, was sent to me by a friend.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:19 PM

Someone recreated the World Trade Center in Grand Theft Auto. The song in the background is How Deep Is Your Love.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 5:12 AM
No grabbing my banana!

Walt "Clyde" Frazier posing with his Rolls Royce across the East River from the World Trade Center Towers in 1973.

http://twitter.com/#!/si_vault/statu.../photo/1/large

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 8:15 PM

The Twin Towers will never be forgotten!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 1:30 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Wtc1999 懐かしの世界貿易センター

Found this video randomly. At the end, it shows a very good glimpse of the Windows on the World restaurant which was on top of the North Tower.

Video Link

Last edited by jd3189; Mar 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 5:17 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Mexican (Spanish) music playing at the Windows ON the World restaurant (for what ever reason) SURELY showed you that it was truly the WORLD Trade Center. Everyone was welcome with open arms. If still here today, they would surely have overtaken the Statue of Liberty (in terms of) being more symbolic, and worldly.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 5:52 AM

While I think the new WTC will be an aesthetic improvement over the original, I just don't think it'll have that sense of "community" the Twins had. Nor will it have the energy; that fast-paced energetic pulse New York is famous for, the WTC was the embodiment of that energy.

Summer days spent eating lunch in the Tobin Plaza between the towers, watching throngs of goofy tourists; fanny packs, polaroid cameras, outdated clothes and haircuts and all, bending their necks to take in the tall spectacle that lay before them, all while cheesy elevator music is blaring from speakers around the fountain.

It seems so vapid in retrospect, but there will never be anything like it again.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 5:54 AM
Khurram Parvaz

I think the new WTC will have some community feel, BUT all-right absolutely SUCK. Just the new WTC will be better at the street level.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 5:59 AM

I really don't think THE BIG APPLE is capable of cohesive writing.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 6:03 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Uaarkson is like cancer. He/she posts here and there but the posts are deadly.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 8:10 PM

19 years ago today, on February 26, 1993 at 12:18pm, Islamic terrorists set off a bomb in the basement of the parking garage below the Twin Towers, causing panic, chaos, and six innocent deaths. Sadly, 8 years later the terrorists would succeed in toppling those wonderful buildings and causing even worse carnage. I would just like to hope everyone pauses for a moment and remembers those victims of that sometimes forgotten attack. The victims were:

Monica Smith, age 35
Robert (Bob) Kirkpatrick, age 61
Bill Macko, age 47
Stephen Knapp, age 48
John DiGiovanni, age 45
Wilfredo Mercado, age 37

Their names, along with the thousands killed in the 9/11 attacks are displayed at the memorial. RIP and hope their families are doing better 19 years later.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture