HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 4:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yea that was quite a night. Watching Terry Cooke go all "Looks like Larry is in the lead"....."Okay folks Fred is in silm lead now"......"Looks like Larry is gonna win it"....."Fred is the new Mayor of Hamilton"

HAHA had to watch his facial expression.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 5:08 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 7:39 PM
Closed account

brutal

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
DiIanni is such a moron.

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/276303

Centre Mall is nowhere near Red Hill.
I'm guessing he means that you can get off the Red Hill Expressway at Barton, do a u-turn and drive down Barton 5 minutes to Centre Mall. Not exactly convenient, but it's not that far time-wise.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 9:32 PM
Closed account

"road2hope" marathon tomorrow at redhill. sponsored by................losani homes!!!!! damn skippy it is.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 5:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

Red Hill Valley Parkway debuts
November 04, 2007

Thousands of runners marked the official opening of the Red Hill Valley Parkway this weekend.

After the Road to Hope race Saturday morning, about 150 people gathered at the Red Hill Bowl to mark the road’s competition after 50 years of debate.

“There were moments when we wondered if we would ever have this day,” said Chris Murray, who managed the parkway’s construction.

“It’s hard to believe it’s over.”

The controversial four-lane parkway, which cost $225 million to build, will open to vehicle traffic on Nov. 16.

Only three protesters were visible at yesterday’s event, which was well attended by local dignitaries and politicians. Among those in attendance were former mayors Jack MacDonald, Larry Di Ianni and Bob Morrow, local MPPs and MPs, former Lieutenant-Governor Lincoln Alexander, current and former city councillors and dozens of city staff.

The second half of the Road to Hope marathon takes place today.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 6:14 PM
Closed account

It's hard to believe that we're still building highways to nowhere.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 9:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Half of the money went into improving the Creek, cleaning up the Harbour and improving the Red Hill Valley (more tress will be there than before the expressway). So it has it's positive side.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 10:22 PM
Closed account

there WON'T be more trees.
that's what they keep saying in their brochures, but they tore down 60,000 huge, mature trees. In that 'tear down' count, they didn't count all the little seelings and whips.
They are replanting with only seedlings and whips, of course. many of which won't survive.
Some estimates say that 200-300,000 seedlings would have been torn out along with the 60,000 mature trees.
Its lunacy for anyone to try to tell us that paving over a fifth of the valley will somehow result in more trees in the area.
It's physically impossible.
And like many other things related to this project, it's a blatant lie.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 10:24 PM
Closed account

ps, money SHOULD have been spent on improving the harbour and cleaning up the valley.
It's again, a blatant lie (and insult to our intelligence) to make it sound like the only possible way to clean the harbour and valley was to build a highway through it.
I don't hear the Port Authority telling us that we need to destroy Cootes Paradise in order to fix Randle Reef. It's illogical.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 10:45 PM
Closed account

amen, brother.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 10:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's human nature for one to be against one issue and continue to be against it until the end. From my perspective I see benefits of this and I'm not going to list them as they’ll simply be barked down. I'm just glad this divisive issue is FINALLY over with and the city can move on with new issues.

Just so you know 1 million trees will be planted that's more than “Some estimates say that 200-300,000 seedlings would have been torn out along with the 60,000 mature trees". It's up to the Six Nations people to ensure each and every tree survives.

Remember one of the off ramps on the Red Hill is Barton St, what street is Centre Mall located on? What street is the new Lowe's on?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 12:22 AM
Closed account

this issue all comes down to what we deem to be more important. if it's a lowe's, allowing east mountaineers better access to centre mall, or providing u.s. truckers a quicker route through s ontario, then you're laughing. if you value an irreplaceable forest ecosystem that's home to all manner of wildlife and helps to make our wretched air breathable, then you're screwed. in any case, the remaining trees and particularly the seedlings, will not grow well in the high air pollution levels that will result from the opening of the expressway. this issue is not 'finally' over. it's only just begun.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 1:11 AM
Closed account

yup....it'll be interesting to see how the media spins health effects and traffic effects on this part of the city over the next few years.
Remember - the city would NOT allow an air monitoring station to be set up at a local school to see what happens to the air over the next several years. I wonder why???

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 1:18 AM

I understand the value of Red Hill, but without the expressway - how are cars/trucks supposed to move around this city without impacting our streets? Isn't that essentially the purpose of the expressway? What alternatives were available?

I know people who drive trucks and they're excited about the expressway and plan to use it (with hookup to the LINC) to get their shipments around the city. Not everything about that project is negative... and this is coming from someone who lives right by the Red Hill Expressway.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 2:10 AM
Closed account

Berklon...you're right...that's the best thing that will come out from this project.
the city still needs to redo truck routes in order to make them use it and get them out of downtown. I wonder if council has the gonads to actually do that, even though it's a no-brainer. I'm holding out hope for that though....will be a great improvement for city life downtown.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 2:51 AM

I'll believe it when I see real employment opportunities open up from businesses locating along that road. Although, we could commute to lucrative jobs in Oakville just as quickly, and with excellent public transit access already in place.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 2:58 AM
Closed account

this project is the biggest mistake this city has ever made!
All it does it create a faster route for Toronto commuters to get to their upper stoney creek townhouses.

Upper Stoney Creekers will NOT shop at Centre Mall, they will drive to Lowes, get back on the Pkwy to their shelters, err homes and discuss how scary it was to be on Barton St. I grew up in Uppr SC, and therefor talk to my mom, her neighbours, my friends, their rents, etc. Almost all of which say they would most likely not shop at the new Centre. I say, "But they're going to have a Great Canadian Superstore!!" they respond, "So... there's a mega-Fortinos with all the same stuff right around the corner!?" and so on...

DiIanni's only agenda for building this Pkwy was so that he had an excuse to allow sprawl in the Upp SC area and use it as a catylist for the Mid-Pen Hwy. DiIanni's a crook, and this Pkwy is nothing but giant waste of money!

How many LRT lines could we have built with the money it took to build this (unfinished) peice of crap!?!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 3:43 AM
Closed account

ps: this tree planting thing is also a blatant lie, 100%.

I think I read somewhere a while back that a big percentage of the trees being planted were going in around the city and not even in the valley!? I dunno if there's any truth to this, but I can see it being the case. I think DiIanni just boosted the tree planting budget rather than specifically designating them for the Valley.

Also, even IF they plant trees along the Pkwy, how many will actually survive? Look at the Linc as an example. How many of the trees they planted survived or grew at all??

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:13 AM

Well it's pretty much a moot point since the expressway is done (for the most part). I guess it's a wait and see kinda thing. I live right next to it so I can tell you first hand if the air is noticeably worse or not a while after it's in full swing.

Quote:
All it does it create a faster route for Toronto commuters to get to their upper stoney creek townhouses.
I'm not sure that's all it does, but it definitely does that. A friend of mine (and a few of his acquaintences) are happy about being able to use the expressway on their commute to/from work as they live in Stoney Creek mountain and dread using Highway 20 (especially in the winter) to get to Burlington's GO Station.

Coincidentally a co-worker who lives in Milton (works in downtown Toronto) has expressed interest in moving to somewhere in the east mountain. When he asked about the commute to Toronto, I mentioned the expressway and that made him think even more seriously about moving here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure