HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 2:10 PM

New HSR Buses.

I could not fine a spot for this so I started one.

This is from the Public works agenda. This is on top of 18 new articulated buses that are in and going in service at the end of the summer and 17 - 2009 40 - foot buses being delivered later this year. Selected quotes from the document.

Quote:
RECOMMENDATION:

That the 2010 Capital expenditure for the purchase of 17 replacement Conventional (HSR) Transit Buses at an estimated cost of $8,838,290 be pre-approved and funded from the following fleet replacement sources: Ontario Bus Replacement Program; Transit Provincial Gas Tax Reserve 112204; and HSR Vehicle Replacement Reserve 110030 as identified in the Financial Section of this report.

In 2007, the City of Hamilton was offered the opportunity to participate in a joint procurement of 40-foot Transit buses with the Province of Ontario and other Ontario municipalities. The City Of Hamilton joined this procurement agreement in 2008 under Council’s approval for acquisition of the 2008 Transit replacement Fleet.

A subsequent tender for the years 2009/2010 was issued by the Province of Ontario, now in the proprietorship of Metrolinx. Council has previously approved Hamilton’s participation in this joint procurement. The 17 replacement buses for 2009 have been purchased under this agreement. These buses will begin arriving in September 2009.

This report recommends Council’s pre-approval of 17 replacement 40-foot conventional transit buses for 2010 through the Provincial Procurement bid award. For 2010, there will be a price increase of $10,000 per bus. This increase can be avoided through issuing a Purchase Order in 2009, at 2009 pricing, for delivery in 2010 that will result in a cost avoidance of $170,000 to the City.

It is necessary for the Vendor (New Flyer Industries) to receive a Purchase Order as soon as possible to ensure delivery of the buses to the City early in 2010.

Currently, over 80% of the HSR revenue fleet consists of buses manufactured by New Flyer Industries. This percentage will increase to over 90% with the arrival of the 2009/2010 bus orders.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 4:10 PM
Hammer'd

Thanks for the post. I'd like to add that the 18 articulated buses and 17 40 foot buses will be in the 9xx numbering series. They were originally supposed to be in the 09xx series (carrying on from the last order of buses in the 08xx series) but either due to a change of mind at the HSR or numbering screw up at NFI, they became 9xx instead (the number series previously taken by GM New Look buses which were retired in 1999). Another order for 2010 of 40 foot buses is also scheduled, which is supposed to be in the 10xx series.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 4:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

You can see all the new articulated buses if you drive by. They are all shiny. Too bad they couldn't change the exterior of the bus for the A-Line. Guess that would be too much since the buses will likely switch from A and B-Line.

With all these new buses I wonder when they'll expand the Mountain Terminal Centre. Probably really soon, probably will cost up to $20 million alone. I think they are trying to reloate DARTS somewhere else to free some space.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 5:11 PM
Hammer'd

There was an article in one of the local newspapers on the mountain about overcrowding issues at the Mountain Garage. Apparently they're quickly approaching capacity and looking at solutions. As usual, the HSR wants to leave the current location and build a mega garage, more than likely somewhere on the mountain again. Why operations can't be split between the mountain garage and Public Works yard on Wentworth is beyond me. It would reduce the travel time for buses assigned to the lower city, decreasing fuel costs.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 5:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until LRT for the B-Line. I read somewhere they want to have a garage for the LRT some where near the CN Yard by the waterfront. Perhaps they'll merge the bus terminal centre with the LRT garage.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until LRT for the B-Line. I read somewhere they want to have a garage for the LRT some where near the CN Yard by the waterfront. Perhaps they'll merge the bus terminal centre with the LRT garage.
Funny, I heard that they were looking into building a train yard on the Dundas/Hamilton boundary. It would certainly explain why they're so gung-ho about taking rapid transit to University Plaza.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 2:23 AM

Grande West is out with a press release

Quote:
"Hamilton Street Railway ("HSR") has ordered five (5) compressed natural gas ("CNG") Vicinity buses. This is a first time order for HSR and will be delivered through our eastern Canadian service and sales partner City View in the first quarter of 2018. The City of Moose Jaw also ordered an additional four (4) Vicinity buses."
Units ordered, will replace the 5 - 2010 Arbocs buses.

http://www.grandewest.com/sites/defa...?itok=kLVbLDzi

http://www.kevinsbusrail.com/ct/misc...ct-v2012-7.jpg

http://www.grandewest.com/

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 5:09 PM

When I was in college 30 years ago, Lindsay had this size bus. I have wondered ever since why Hamilton never had these for lower service areas. They have to be cheaper to operate.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Units ordered, will replace the 5 - 2010 Arbocs buses.
Possibly planning to amalgamate ATS with HSR on DARTS' fixed route runs they were piloting in Dundas/Waterdown/Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
I have wondered ever since why Hamilton never had these for lower service areas. They have to be cheaper to operate.
30-foot offers a certain degree of fuel savings over a 40-foot and IIRC a 12-year lifespan vs. 10 years for 40/60, but you have reduced passenger income (and probably advertising revenue) so it's relative. Aside from that, many of the elements of operating costs are the same regardless of vehicle. Operators' salary & benefits, insurance, maintenance and so on. But the capital cost is also a consideration, especially as the HSR looks to add buses to rotation in underserved areas.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 4:30 PM

From "Hamilton Transit History"

General Motors TGH-3102 (HSR #80:2-89:2, 91:2-96:2)

In September 1960, six TGH-3102s (Transit bus, Gasoline engine, Hydraulic transmission, 31 passenger, model #02) were delivered to the HSR, numbered 91:2-96:2. Seven more were delivered in November of 1961, numbered 81:2-87:2.

http://www.trainweb.org/hamtransithist/images/hsr88.jpg

The new buses are not for expansion but to service existing routes the Arbocs buses serve.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
From "Hamilton Transit History"

General Motors TGH-3102 (HSR #80:2-89:2, 91:2-96:2)

In September 1960, six TGH-3102s (Transit bus, Gasoline engine, Hydraulic transmission, 31 passenger, model #02) were delivered to the HSR, numbered 91:2-96:2. Seven more were delivered in November of 1961, numbered 81:2-87:2.

http://www.trainweb.org/hamtransithist/images/hsr88.jpg

The new buses are not for expansion but to service existing routes the Arbocs buses serve.
Out of curiosity which routes are the current Arboc buses used to service? I'm assuming routes in the suburbs?

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 11:37 PM

Mostly route 18 - Waterdown and sometimes route 12 - Wentworth.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 11:45 PM

Is the Dundas Local route still a thing? I can see them using these busses there. I remember the tiny white 52A beeping around Dundas when I was in highschool, but I haven't been down there in a long time.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 3:37 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Is the Dundas Local route still a thing? I can see them using these busses there. I remember the tiny white 52A beeping around Dundas when I was in highschool, but I haven't been down there in a long time.
I asked this question somewhere else and was told that at this pouint, the Arbocs mainly serve the Route 18 Waterdown, while the rest are held as reserve buses. The 52A Dundas Local is still a thing. Probably uses standard 40 foot buses these days, much like the 12 Wentworth.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 4:14 PM

$400,000 invested in city transit

Dec 15, 2017 Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton and the federal government are spending $400,000 to buy eight new city transit vehicles.

The funding was announced this week under the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund.

The federal government and the city are each providing up to $200,000 for the project, according to a news release from Infrastructure Canada.

The new transit vehicles include some for supervisors, as well as accessibility vans and driver shuttle vehicles.

The intention is to increase the efficiency and reliability of the transit system for riders.

"Improving our transit system continues to be a key priority for the City of Hamilton," Mayor Fred Eisenberger said in a statement.

The government of Canada is investing $25.3 billion to support public transit projects across the country.

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...-city-transit/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Hamilton and the federal government are spending $400,000 to buy eight new city transit vehicles…

The new transit vehicles include some for supervisors, as well as accessibility vans and driver shuttle vehicles.
Insert "you get a car" meme.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure