HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is a large apartment complex proposed for the end of Ivy Road, immediately next to Marsh's Trailer Park (and next to the two smaller apartment building built within the last 2-3 years).

site plan

render - very generic..........

It's really disappointing that the city isn't seeing more 6 story complexes in these areas, just to give the city outside of downtown some size. Especially since I think buildings can now be built 5 or 6 stories with all wood.. so the idea of extra costs because they have to use concrete is gone.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Not exactly [Moncton] Northwest, but it is at least Moncton West.

Toys For Big Boys on Salisbury Road is planning a new building for a separate on-site Harley-Davidson dealership.

This image shows the Harley dealership and it's relationship to the existing Toys For Big Boys building.

site plan
Well it's good news for the West end anyway Toys for big boys has been at that location for as long as I can remember. The new dealership will hopefully serve then well especially with the Toys for big boys on one side, and Harley Davidson on the other.

Quote:
There is a large apartment complex proposed for the end of Ivy Road, immediately next to Marsh's Trailer Park (and next to the two smaller apartment building built within the last 2-3 years).

site plan

render - very generic..........
Positive for the area since that land has been for sale for a long time, and now if this gets built it will only leave the land to the south of Ivy Road, and potentially the demolition of Marsh Trailer park, and construction of new homes that would fit in that area. One can always dream.

Quote:
New daycare proposed for Ryan Street - the Mariposa Centre for Excellence.

location map

render
Well that looks like it would be a large day care centre, and surely needed in this area of the city.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Heard from Bill Budd that the Holiday Inn and one restaurant will begin construction this Spring. Also, there will be no gas station(for now?). Which would be good news, since there's enough of them in the area already.
I wonder if they still plan to build the McDonalds? I would have rather see it go in Mountain Road across from NBLC & Jean Coutu.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 7:40 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I wonder if they still plan to build the McDonalds? I would have rather see it go in Mountain Road across from NBLC & Jean Coutu.
I doubt they would build a restaurant there due to not being "conveniently" around trinity. They may have put this project on hold for now though due to Costco not confirming their location yet.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Wasn't the McDonalds plan to be built attached to the not curently being built gas station If so I don't see it happening since the gas station has been put off for now.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Wasn't the McDonalds plan to be built attached to the not curently being built gas station If so I don't see it happening since the gas station has been put off for now.
Mostly a question of are they building the McDonalds instead of the gas station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
I doubt they would build a restaurant there due to not being "conveniently" around trinity. They may have put this project on hold for now though due to Costco not confirming their location yet.
It don't see your reasoning. It would have been almost exactly halfway between the the Magnetic Hill & Mountain Road McDonald's locations and would have been a perfect location for people who live in the north end to grab a burger or a quick on their way home. It would be right off of the busiest road in the city, and at a signalised intersection.
The north end is severely underserviced by fast food. I believe that you could build a McDonalds, Wendys Burger King, & Dairy Queen on that stretch of Mountain Road between Maplehurst and Hildeguard. Their only competition is Subway, Mary Browns and Little Ceasars. (Plus Tim Hortons, First Cup, and Starbucks if you count coffee shops) the Magnetic Hill area is almost too far out of the way for someone to make a quick stop on their way home,

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 8:39 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Mostly a question of are they building the McDonalds instead of the gas station.

It don't see your reasoning. It would have been almost exactly halfway between the the Magnetic Hill & Mountain Road McDonald's locations and would have been a perfect location for people who live in the north end to grab a burger or a quick on their way home. It would be right off of the busiest road in the city, and at a signalised intersection.
The north end is severely underserviced by fast food. I believe that you could build a McDonalds, Wendys Burger King, & Dairy Queen on that stretch of Mountain Road between Maplehurst and Hildeguard. Their only competition is Subway, Mary Browns and Little Ceasars. (Plus Tim Hortons, First Cup, and Starbucks if you count coffee shops) the Magnetic Hill area is almost too far out of the way for someone to make a quick stop on their way home,
Its true, it would be close to them, but this location would be right off the highway (which is attractive), right on mapleton and service that whole area. I don't know, not saying it would be a bad idea but if costco opens in the day and ross location that would have made it that much more attractive. Maybe they will open in that area if costco doesn't come. who really knows.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 1:16 AM

Excavator working on Holiday Inn site. I have a few pics but can't figure how to post.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleton_Roadie View Post
Excavator working on Holiday Inn site. I have a few pics but can't figure how to post.
I would assume we will be seeing another crane going up there! Hopefully a few more projects get started this spring that involve cranes! It would be a nice site to see when coming into the city.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 2:02 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Find a photo hosting site (I use Photobucket), establish an account, upload your photos to the server, then find the unique URL for the photo (easy to do with Photobucket), and link to that URL in your post here. To do this, just make sure that the URL is enclosed by [img] and [/img].

It sounds complex but it really isn't.

If you want to see how it's done, just find any post on the site here displaying a photo, click on the "quote" button on the bottom, and the window that pops up will show you the text format of the post including the code used for the enclosed photo. Use this as a guide to show you how a properly formatted photo post should look like. That's actually how I learned to do it (it's how I learned all HTML coding actually, even Wikipedia).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 2:35 AM

Quote:
I would assume we will be seeing another crane going up there! Hopefully a few more projects get started this spring that involve cranes! It would be a nice sight to see when coming into the city.

Last edited by Monctoncore; Apr 21, 2017 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 2:35 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

You can use a site like imgur.com. They even give you the code to copy and paste. Look for something called BBCode.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 3:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I would assume we will be seeing another crane going up there! Hopefully a few more projects get started this spring that involve cranes! It would be a nice site to see when coming into the city.
The hotel will be six stories, so yes, there should be another crane for this project; maybe even a tower crane (six stories is kinda the cutoff for a tower crane - it depends on construction materials and techniques).

In any event, it will be some time before we see a crane. There is a lot of excavation of the hillside still necessary, and a retaining wall to build.

I agree, the combination of this new Holiday Inn and the existing six storey Hampton Inn across the street will really improve the physical presence of this major entry point into the city.

Apparently one of the restaurants in this development will be built this year too. I wonder if we will see movement on the new Chrysler dealership next to the Hampton Inn this year as well???

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 4:09 AM

Quote:
The hotel will be six stories, so yes, there should be another crane for this project; maybe even a tower crane (six stories is kinda the cutoff for a tower crane - it depends on construction materials and techniques).

In any event, it will be some time before we see a crane. There is a lot of excavation of the hillside still necessary, and a retaining wall to build.

I agree, the combination of this new Holiday Inn and the existing six storey Hampton Inn across the street will really improve the physical presence of this major entry point into the city.

Apparently one of the restaurants in this development will be built this year too. I wonder if we will see movement on the new Chrysler dealership next to the Hampton Inn this year as well???

That is true, do you or does anyone remember if the Hampton inn used a tower crane? That would give us an idea of what could be used. I always forget that the area where it's being built is on a slope, still will be nice to see the area developed.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
That is true, do you or does anyone remember if the Hampton inn used a tower crane? That would give us an idea of what could be used. I always forget that the area where it's being built is on a slope, still will be nice to see the area developed.
Nope, no tower crane was used while building the Hampton Inn.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
Nope, no tower crane was used while building the Hampton Inn.
There's the answer! Thanks for the response!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 2:32 PM

I think if and when the Prov and City work to add curbs, sidewalks and traffic lights or round-abouts, this will solidify this as THE entry point for Moncton. This would also help drive development and possibly even see the City work out arrangements to punch Northwood through to the Gorge. How that would get developed, whether strictly commercial or mixed with high density housing, is interesting to think about. The city will be seeing some interesting growth. Now if we can just tell certain World Leaders to sit down and knock back a few beers to hash out differences, maybe we'll get to see the changes in the city.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 9:00 PM

I heard from the grape vine that, Harley is forcing Toys For Big Boys to sever themselves from Honda or lose the dealership. Of course, TFBB has no choice in the matter, since Harley is definitely a big part of their success.

Quote:
Not exactly [Moncton] Northwest, but it is at least Moncton West.

Toys For Big Boys on Salisbury Road is planning a new building for a separate on-site Harley-Davidson dealership.

site plan

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 9:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So will Toys for Big Boys continue to deal and service Hondas out of the other building? Both my snowblower and lawn mower are Hondas so I'm interested

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:

So will Toys for Big Boys continue to deal and service Hondas out of the other building? Both my snowblower and lawn mower are Hondas so I'm interested
Probably similar to how Audi and VW had to be put in seperate buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces