HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 11:17 PM

Celebration of Light: Godzilla, road closures, transit changes and high tides

sounds interesting - whos going?

Celebration of Light: Godzilla, road closures, transit changes and high tides

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Over 350,000 people are expected to gather around Vancouver beaches tonight to see Canada kick off the Celebration of Light over English Bay. The fireworks theme tonight is called "Attack", featuring Godzilla.

Kari Kylo with the Celebration of Light says tonight's show by Canada (the returning champ of the contest) will be a unique display. "It's about Godzilla coming up from under the water and taking over the city of Vancouver. The producers...I was on the barge yesterday with them chatting about it and it has never been done quite like this before so I think it will be a very very exciting performance."

Saturday the U.S. performs in the show for the first time, followed by China showing off its Olympic inspired show next Wednesday. The grand finale will go Saturday, August 2nd.

As usual, people heading into the city for the fireworks are strongly advised to take transit, walk, or bike. There will be bike valet areas set up for cyclists. Road closures will be in effect starting at 7:30pm in the West End and at 6 pm in Kitsilano. You can see the full list of road closures here.

There are also reminders from police, TransLink and from city clean-up crews: Consider your fellow fireworks fan, bring your manners, leave the alcohol at home and pack your garbage out with you when you leave, or at the very least pick it up and throw it in one of the hundreds of garbage bins.

TransLink also has special plans for each of the fireworks nights, and the full list is available at their website.

And a friendly reminder about tides. High Tide is at 10:26 pm tonight (15 feet), so if you stake out a nice spot on the beach this afternoon, it might be underwater by the time the fireworks start.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:10 AM

won't be watching tonight's display, busy....

...but will be watching Saturday's on one of the top floors of Royal Bank Tower.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:33 AM

I will be skipping the fireworks this year. Going every year to watch the same show, only to wait in traffic for 2 hours afterward while watching a bunch of social retards cause a ruckus leaves less to be desired.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:55 AM

I went last year for the first time, only for one night. I'd like to go again this year but it is a pain getting back home by Skytrain and having to deal with even more idiots on the skytrain than usual. But I'll prob go anyway...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
I will be skipping the fireworks this year. Going every year to watch the same show, only to wait in traffic for 2 hours afterward while watching a bunch of social retards cause a ruckus leaves less to be desired.
Only if you're watching from downtown or Vanier Park......imo, it's still a pretty good show from Jericho Beach Park/Hastings Mills Park....then again, i do live only a few blocks away from there.

Right after watching it on Saturday, we intend on leaving Royal Bank Tower right away and scramble to Burrard Station where we will then take SkyTrain to Main Street to be picked up.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Only if you're watching from downtown or Vanier Park......imo, it's still a pretty good show from Jericho Beach Park/Hastings Mills Park....then again, i do live only a few blocks away from there.

Right after watching it on Saturday, we intend on leaving Royal Bank Tower right away and scramble to Burrard Station where we will then take SkyTrain to Main Street to be picked up.
i watched from kits and it took us a good hour+ to get from west 12th and arbutus area to granville and 70th - we were trying to get back to surrey via east / west connector

brutal no matter where you try to go

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i watched from kits and it took us a good hour+ to get from west 12th and arbutus area to granville and 70th - we were trying to get back to surrey via east / west connector

brutal no matter where you try to go
It would've probably been faster if you took the small streets instead of the arteries. But if i leave right away (it'll probably take 5-mins to get to Burrard Station right after the show), wouldn't it be alright?

Can't wait to see the Canada Line packed....and with lineups outside stations stretching for two blocks in length!

Last edited by mr.x; Jul 24, 2008 at 4:55 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 4:49 AM
Yellow Fever

Quote:

will be watching Saturday's on one of the top floors of Royal Bank Tower.
Can we join you?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hong Kongese View Post
Can we join you?
I'll try to bring back photos.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 6:42 AM

Quote:
It would've probably been faster if you took the small streets instead of the arteries. But if i leave right away (it'll probably take 5-mins to get to Burrard Station right after the show), wouldn't it be alright?

Can't wait to see the Canada Line packed....and with lineups outside stations stretching for two blocks in length!
we did we zig zagged out way across the west side - it was bad everywhere

its expected there is no escaping it

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
we did we zig zagged out way across the west side - it was bad everywhere

its expected there is no escaping it
What about SkyTrain in downtown at 10:30 pm?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 6:59 AM

I think if I go down on Saturday I'll just walk there and back. It's about 35-40 minutes from my place and sure beats the line-ups! I can see it from my balcony a little but being so far away takes away a little of the excitement.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 7:10 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Wow mr.x... royal bank? I'll be trying to watch the finale from the credit union central building facing English bay =)

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 7:32 AM

i watched them from the park at mcdonald and cornwall. i was out of there on my bike and halfway through kits before people even got back to their cars.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 5:28 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
What about SkyTrain in downtown at 10:30 pm?
As long as you make it to Burrard station before 11:00 - 11:10, you'll be fine. We left immediately from English Bay (near Sylvia hotel) and jogged halfway to Burrard. We arrived at Burrard @ 10:50 and the train and station were empty. The train left practically 25% full and everyone on the train got a seat. The trick really is to be near an exit point (not near the front of the beach) and take side streets. We picked someone up at Nanaimo station at 11:10 and the trains were just getting full.

Being that you'll be watching from the Royal Bank Tower, it should be fine. I've watched it from TD Tower before... but to be honest, it's not that great from that height and distance, behind a glass wall. Unless you have an outside balcony.

The show yesterday was really good... but I just liked the theme... and the massive big bang at the end.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 6:57 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I watched it last night from my friend's place on Beach Ave. I try and get some pictures up later.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 11:29 PM

Change of plans....i will now be watching it from the penthouse of the Empire Landmark Hotel.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 9:47 PM

lineup outside Waterfront Station after the fireworks:

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 11:30 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
lineup outside Waterfront Station after the fireworks:
Silly people... they probably thought they'd wait until the crowds died down. I'll let you guy in on a secret... leave right after the final explosion and you'll be fine.

Last edited by twoNeurons; Jul 27, 2008 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 6:53 AM

Got home ten minutes ago......left the hotel at 10.30, arrived at Burrard Station at 10.45. Me and my friend were about to go down the escalator to the platform but then the transit staff stopped us as apparently a train had broken down in the tunnel. So, i called my parents and they were nearby and they picked us up.

When i got back to street level, there was a lineup for Burrard Station about an entire block long, and that was 10.50....what a difference 5-minutes makes.

BTW, USA sucked tonight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment