HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
There are certainly more choices now and I wonder if their cheap chic brand (Old Navy) and more expensive option (Banana Republic) also take away customers from the generic, middle-of-the-ground Gap?
I worked at Old Navy until 2011 and at that point and even more-so now, Old Navy was the brand keeping both Gap and Banana Republic afloat.

Also, if you ever go to these stores without an easily available coupon (especially if you're going to Banana Republic without a 40% off discount of some kind, especially on Wednesdays) you're a fool!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
I worked at Old Navy until 2011 and at that point and even more-so now, Old Navy was the brand keeping both Gap and Banana Republic afloat.

Also, if you ever go to these stores without an easily available coupon (especially if you're going to Banana Republic without a 40% off discount of some kind, especially on Wednesdays) you're a fool!
Love those 40% coupon! I also like to visit the Banana Republic factory outlet stores (here and in the States)

I don't think too many people will miss GAP if they close shop. There are simply too many choices now, something for everyone...Even Amazon has gotten into the clothing business.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 7:28 PM

Generally, we're seeing a trend in retail where the mid-range retailers are suffering while both high-end and low-end grow and prosper. Look at the explosive growth of cheap stores like Joe Fresh, Walmart, Dollarama, etc., the growth of high end stores like Nordstrom, and the decline of mid-rangers like Hudson Bay, Sears, and Gap.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the sign that gave the total leasable space is now gone. Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but I assumed that they had leased part of the space, but not the part facing the corner.
Talked to a construction worker there yesterday... it is being subdivided into 2 spaces... the corner will be a Mexican Restaurant.. and the larger middle space is still for lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I stopped by the LCBO across the street today and figured the old T&L lot opposite the store across McLeod would be a safe place to park, but there were an awful lot of scary 'ticketed and towed' signs by the new developer. I can't remember the name of the developer, I'll check it out the next time I'm in the area.
And believe me... they ticket quickly

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 9:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Generally, we're seeing a trend in retail where the mid-range retailers are suffering while both high-end and low-end grow and prosper. Look at the explosive growth of cheap stores like Joe Fresh, Walmart, Dollarama, etc., the growth of high end stores like Nordstrom, and the decline of mid-rangers like Hudson Bay, Sears, and Gap.
I don't think I'd call HBC mid-range and it seems it's actually been doing relatively well.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 11:05 PM

Depending on what city i guess, i felt that hudsons bay has done a great transformation upgrade, the vancouver flagship store is amazing, the suburban ones less so but much better than they were years ago.

as for the gap they are only going from 960 stores to 800 across north america, its not like they are closing up.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Depending on what city i guess, i felt that hudsons bay has done a great transformation upgrade, the vancouver flagship store is amazing, the suburban ones less so but much better than they were years ago.

as for the gap they are only going from 960 stores to 800 across north america, its not like they are closing up.
I know they are not closing but compared to their peak around 10 years ago, Gap now has almost 30% less stores

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gap-...lers-1.3115654

Were they too aggressive in their expansion? Did competitors catch up to them? Maybe they should become lean and mean? In any event, the store closures do not exactly inspire consumer confidence but I hope they continue to survive and thrive, for the employees, investors and consumers' sake.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 10:22 PM

The problem with The Gap is that they've sold the exact same clothing for 15 years. The same styles, the same colours. They haven't stayed relevant at all.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 3:36 AM

The only people that still wear those GAP logo hoodies are 5year old kids.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 1:24 PM

I actually love Gap. Their jeans and pants are perfect and there is almost always a t-shirt or shirt worth buying. Plus their stuff is generally good quality and lasts a while. Gap really isnt as outdated as you think it is.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 2:18 PM

Here are two interesting articles on the issue of middle class stores losing ground to either Luxury brands or Cheap Chic brands.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gap-...lers-1.3115654

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/midd...ttis-1.2535685

There are a lot of stores that are dying or leaving the market but other have been growing such as H&M, Zara, Joe Fresh, Top Shop, Uniqlo and higher end and luxury retailers such as Michael Kors.

As for Hudson Bay, they are doing fairly well especially since they bought Saks Fifth Avenue and have gone fairly upper end with their merchandising, I would not put them in the same bucket as Sears.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
Talked to a construction worker there yesterday... it is being subdivided into 2 spaces... the corner will be a Mexican Restaurant.. and the larger middle space is still for lease.
(
So I had it backwards...thanks for the info.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 5:06 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Wallack's rises from bankruptcy to re-open key stores and gallery

Peter Simpson - Ottawa Citizen
Published on: June 23, 2015 | Last Updated: June 23, 2015 6:12 PM EDT

It’s out with the old debts and in with a new corporate identity for the Wallack’s art gallery and art-supply shops, which will re-open soon in Ottawa and Kingston, says the family that has run the businesses for decades.

John Wallack and his son Michael both said in interviews Tuesday that the art-supply shops in Ottawa, Nepean and Kingston will reopen by next week, after having been closed for several weeks. The Bank Street art gallery officially reopens this week, though its doors were intermittently unlocked on Tuesday.

The company previously known as Wallack’s Art Shop and Gallery Limited recently declared bankruptcy, with $1.74 million liabilities and only $140,000 in assets. While the receivers, Doyle Salewski, negotiate with the former company’s long list of creditors, the new company, Wallacks Limited — headed by Michael Wallack and his mother, Sherril — has purchased the assets from the receivers and is regrouping.

Other Wallack’s stores that have closed in Orleans, Gatineau and in the Glebe will not reopen. Nor will the 20,000-square foot, 15-employee framing warehouse that was in the City Centre for several decades before it closed last year. “We were losing $300,000 or $400,000 a year,” John Wallack said of the warehouse, which did work for many smaller framing shops and galleries in the city.

The creditors who will vie for portions of the former company’s meagre assets include the Canada Revenue Agency, which bankruptcy documents say is owned $400,000. John Wallack believes the figure will be lower once an audit is completed. He says that the claim will be his “personal” liability.

Also listed as creditors are some well-known artists, including Ottawa’s Jennifer Dickson ($5,000) and Duncan de Kergommeaux ($4,600), British Columbia artist David Alexander ($10,600) and the estate of the late Montreal artist David Sorensen ($14,700).

Dickson, who is among Ottawa’s most senior and most-esteemed artists, said Tuesday that she’s been trying to get paid for works sold by the gallery in 2014, “but there’s always been a reason why they can’t pay me.” She noted that John Wallack has been very good to her during her 45-year relationship with the gallery, but during the bankruptcy, she said, “I don’t like the way that artists have been treated.”

John Wallack said that Dickson owes the gallery money for framing, which she later said hadn’t been paid because the gallery had not yet paid her for artworks that had been sold. The damage to that relationship is so deep that, Dickson said, “I’m going over to the gallery to terminate my relationship with them.”

John Wallack said that any artists owed money will “all get paid out of the new company, within the next two weeks,” and he said he wished people would “would stop making such a big to-do about it, because everybody is going to get paid.”

John and Michael Wallack both said that almost all former employees “have been extremely supportive” and are returning to work for the new company. One absence that will be notable to regulars at the gallery will be Dan Pellerin, who was key to the operation for 25 years. According to the trustee documents, Pellerin is owed $8,800, though he said Tuesday he’ll get only $2,000 from a federal program that protects employees of bankrupt companies.

John Wallack said Pellerin was offered a job with the new company, which would have paid him what he was owed, but Pellerin chose to not return. John Wallack said that was “a slap in the face” to the family.

Pellerin said: “I needed to be paid what I was owed before I reconsidered coming back to the company,” and added, “I don’t wish them ill. I hope they’ll be able to survive as a new company. It’s an institution, and I would hate it to fade into nothing.”

There has been confusion around the status of the stores. A sign pasted on the inside of the shop door on Bank Street says “Closed for inventory,” while a handwritten sign taped on the outside of the door says, “Holy frigg you guys!!! When I worked at Wallack’s in Kingston, it only took us one day to do inventory, not 5!” It’s not clear how long ago that sign of frustration was posted.

Meanwhile, a thread on the social media site Reddit has anxious chatter from Wallacks’ patrons: A recent post says, “something is wrong if months pass and you still can’t buy a proper sketchbook, or even individual pencils/pens. (Also not having any inventory or ordering methods online? Not helpful). I’ve been taking my business to Deserres, even though I’d rather support the local shop.”

Competition from online suppliers such as Deserres has contributed to the troubles at independent, brick-and-mortar stores like Wallack’s.

psimpson@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/bigbeatottawa

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...es-and-gallery

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 4:05 AM

I have A LOT to say about the trainwreck of dishonesty that is Wallacks. They've been lying to their customers for a very long time. They haven't been paying their suppliers (I've been told this by some of the suppliers), their artists or apparently their employees.

I find it interesting that they are targeting DeSerres as some sort of international conglomerate as the reason for their failure. DeSerres is a family owned business for like 40 years longer than Wallacks, and while it does have more stores in Canada, a lot of them are suffering greatly due to Michaels. The Ottawa store has been doing very well but that is only because Wallacks has failed itself.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 5:30 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Walmart to start offering online grocery pickup orders for 11 Ottawa-area stores

David Paddon, The Canadian Press 07.02.2015

TORONTO - Walmart will offer grocery pickup for the first time in Canada starting next week at locations in the Ottawa area, and it says it's prepared to roll out the service to other cities if demand warrants.

The $3 service will allow people to place orders through Walmart Canada's website. The orders must be a minimum $50 and made at least the previous day.

Simon Rodrigue, Walmart Canada's senior vice-president for electronic commerce, said the company has been working on the service for more than a year and decided to launch it in Ottawa because the city has been a strong market for e-commerce.

"The other thing is Ottawa gives us a great cross-section of Canada," Rodrigue said in a phone interview Friday from Ottawa. "We see a strong education segment with two universities, a high-tech sector and demographically, there's a lot of young families here."

The service will begin at six Ottawa stores on Tuesday, followed by another five on July 21. It will be available for grocery items including frozen foods, produce, meat and fish, dry goods, personal care and household cleaning products. But it won't apply to over-the-counter or prescription drugs or for non-grocery items such as clothing.

Customers will park at a selected Walmart location at an agreed-on time and orders, which can be made as far in advance as 21 days, will be loaded within five minutes, the company says.

Walmart, with nearly 400 stores across Canada, has been offering a pickup service for non-perishable goods at about 55 locations, mostly in the Toronto area. But the two services are being kept separate.

Loblaw (TSX:L) launched a similar service last year at three locations in the Toronto area. It added an Ottawa location last month and plans to launch another four in the area this summer.

"We believe they're fairly connected and tech savvy in the Ottawa space," said Loblaw senior vice-president Jeremy Pee.

"We've been getting a lot of requests from the Ottawa area in terms of customers sending us emails and calling our call centres. So we know there's demand out there."

One of the surprises for Loblaw, Pee said, has been the demand for fresh products such as produce, deli, cheese and meat.

"I think we've done a really good job on training our (food pickers) as well as educating our customers and making the assortment available."

Rodrigue says Walmart Canada is drawing on expertise at its U.K. subsidiary Asda Stores and trained employees "how to pick that perfect avocado, the type of meat you'd look for" and will give customers final approval of the food they pick up.

"So we know that, based on experience globally, we'll be able to deliver on that customer expectation every time."

In some ways, both Walmart and Loblaw are lagging a relatively small regional competitor — the family-owned Longo's chain in the Toronto area, which acquired the GroceryGateway.com delivery service in 2004.

Although Longo's doesn't have a pickup service at its stores, Grocery Gateway has a staff that hand-picks a range of grocery products that are delivered by its own fleet of 50 trucks. It also delivers beer, wine and spirits under agreements with the Beer Store and Liquor Control Board of Ontario.

Follow @DavidPaddon on Twitter.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...464/story.html

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 5:31 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Walmart.ca Grocery locations:
http://www.walmart.ca/en/online-grocery

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Walmart.ca Grocery locations:
http://www.walmart.ca/en/online-grocery
The six current "Ottawa" locations, three of which are not even in Ottawa:
1. Barrhaven
2. Kanata (Fernbank)
3. Kanata (Earl Grey)
4. Carleton Place
5. Renfrew
6. Pembroke

The remaining five are more central and one is the east end.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 12:59 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
So Marks will essentially be moving down the street to Carling & Fairlawn if I understand correctly.

I wonder what CT will do with the space since there is a Sleep Country or Matress Mart between the CT and Marks.
I was at the Canadian Tire on Carling Ave. this evening, and I got an update on the renovations.

The entire Automotive dept. has moved down into the old Mattress Mart space and is open for business, while the Mark's Work Warehouse side is being prepped as the new Seasonal dept. The main upstairs space is being shifted about to accommodate larger Hardware and Sports departments. They expect the entire process to wrap up by September.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
I was at the Canadian Tire on Carling Ave. this evening, and I got an update on the renovations.

The entire Automotive dept. has moved down into the old Mattress Mart space and is open for business, while the Mark's Work Warehouse side is being prepped as the new Seasonal dept. The main upstairs space is being shifted about to accommodate larger Hardware and Sports departments. They expect the entire process to wrap up by September.
Thanks for the update! I guess they kicked out Mattress Mart so they can have the entire building to themselves. I wonder if this will make it the largest CT in Ottawa? I know the one in Orleans currently is, with Kanata and Merivale in 2nd & 3rd in terms of sq/ft. I still wish there was a CT in downtown/centretown area though.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 3:01 PM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 5:31 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy