HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 5:15 AM
BANNED

My Texas Sage grew over my 6' block wall when left "wild". I had to start over with them. Same with my "dwarf oleander". You know its a problem when you gotta get a ladder out to trim the dwarf variety back.

I also suggest hibiscus. Grows like a weed with a lil water.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 12:16 AM

What do you guys recommend tree nursery wise?

As far as I know, there are two choices in Phoenix...Moon Valley Nursery or Whitfill Nursery. Are there any others? I know there is also Bakers but they only have up to 24" box.

Between Whitfill and Moon Valley, is one better...does one grow their trees locally or anything like that?

It's "funny" how their pricing works, it's like buying a car or something.
I stopped by Moon Valley this morning and was quoted $750 delivered and planted (w/ 1 yr warranty).

I then called one Whitfill location and was quoted $700 planted...then called another Whitfill and was told $599 planted.

Finally called Moon Valley to see what they would say and was told $850 then when I said Whitfill would do it for $599, they said they would match it.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 12:19 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^ In instances like this I try to look in the Local First AZ directory. Looks like their top listing is Harper's Nursery:

http://www.localfirstaz.com/director..._id=1100&area=

They also won a Phx New Times award for best nursery. I don't have any personal experience for them but take that for what its worth.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 9:13 PM

Aaand the winner is...Moon Valley Nursery.

I know they don't have the best reviews customer service wise but they have some great trees, especially compared to Whitfill. I drove down to Whitfill at 32nd St & Southern and they had about five 36" box Sissoo trees, they all looked terrible. There were short, maybe 10' tall and just did not have a good shape...either leaning to one side or branches starting real low.

I left there and called Moon Valley Nursery on Tatum and spoke with the GM of that store who said they would match the $600 price. I drive there...meet a sales person upon entering and tell him about it and he says "$600 for a 36"? I don't think so, they are $1000." Told him to get the guy I talked to who confirmed the $600 price and then chose the tree I liked best. Sucks that delivery isn't for another 2 weeks though, guess they are pretty busy. I love their inflated markups as well...like anyone actually pays those. Their 36" box trees all said $1999 on them.

Here he is...

Last edited by HX_Guy; Apr 15, 2011 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 9:52 PM

Looks nice... and those things grow fast as hel! I planted mine in September of '09 as a splindly thing barely 10' tall. Now it has to be at least 15' but big and bushy compared to when I bought it (and that includes being frozen this past winter to where it lost all of it's leaves).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 9:58 PM

Yea, all the trees they had looked like they had lost their leaves. This was the fullest one they had...I mean look at the one to the right of it.

Also...it has a stake already with it...that should be fine right? Or does it need the two stakes on the sides?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 10:22 PM

Well done, HX. Well done!!!!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Yea, all the trees they had looked like they had lost their leaves. This was the fullest one they had...I mean look at the one to the right of it.

Also...it has a stake already with it...that should be fine right? Or does it need the two stakes on the sides?
Young trees need to strengthen themselves as they grow. When you see trees staked like crazy so they can't even move they're much weaker and likely more prone to snapping or being felled later in life. Moving a bit in the wind is like exercise to them, without it they're basically atrophied for life. If it were me, I'd use two stakes, one on either side, but have it relatively loosely connected to the stakes. The middle one is unnecessary. When they deliver and plant it they should put in a stake on either side. After a couple of weeks take the center stake out and loosen the side connections to the stakes (just a bit so the tree can move and bend a little, but if there are high winds the stakes will hold it in either direction. Also, the best thing for preventing trees from falling is proper watering. deep watering out to basically the diameter of the tree canopy will get the roots to move outward and down, which will give the tree a better foundation.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 10:54 PM

Sounds good, thanks for the advice.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 4:28 PM

Does anyone have a Chinese Elm (or any type of elm) in their yard? I'm worried mine isn't fairing so well and I'm hoping it isn't going to die. It got all of its leaves back several weeks ago and I expected it to start growing again. However, it seems like it just got the leaves back but isn't growing anymore.

For those of you with one, are your branches growing currently?

Hopefully it's just a phase and soon it will start sprouting new growth.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 5:28 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Does anyone have a Chinese Elm (or any type of elm) in their yard? I'm worried mine isn't fairing so well and I'm hoping it isn't going to die. It got all of its leaves back several weeks ago and I expected it to start growing again. However, it seems like it just got the leaves back but isn't growing anymore.

For those of you with one, are your branches growing currently?

Hopefully it's just a phase and soon it will start sprouting new growth.
We planted one a couple of years ago. It lost its leaves in the frost but has come back nicely. I have been more concerned about leaves than new growth but it looks like it has had some new.

Note that the Bougainvillea near the house is still browned out, will likely need some trimming. We have a Ficus hedge in the back that had similar problems.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 5:55 PM

I was told to cut back my browned/frosted bogainvillea nearly to the ground (it wasn't as big as yours though). That was a few weeks ago and It's already grown about 2 feet. My ficus hedge is a goner, unfortunately.

The elm should lose it's leaves every year, but not because of the frost. Yours looks fine. I've noticed some elm trees like mine (full leaves but little new growth), I'm hoping it's ok. But I did do some research and read about Texas root rot and that scared me. I hope that's not what killed my old elm and I hope it's not killing this one.

pbenjamin... if you get a chance can you look at a few of your elm tree branches and see if at the very ends there are tiny new growth leaves? Not just the new leaves, but the newest smallest baby leaves that mark the extension/growth of the branches.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:19 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I was told to cut back my browned/frosted bogainvillea nearly to the ground (it wasn't as big as yours though). That was a few weeks ago and It's already grown about 2 feet. My ficus hedge is a goner, unfortunately.

The elm should lose it's leaves every year, but not because of the frost. Yours looks fine. I've noticed some elm trees like mine (full leaves but little new growth), I'm hoping it's ok. But I did do some research and read about Texas root rot and that scared me. I hope that's not what killed my old elm and I hope it's not killing this one.

pbenjamin... if you get a chance can you look at a few of your elm tree branches and see if at the very ends there are tiny new growth leaves? Not just the new leaves, but the newest smallest baby leaves that mark the extension/growth of the branches.
Elm: it doesn't look like there is much new growth. I'll take your word for its losing its leaves each year, hadn't paid that much attention, but I do think that this year's frost was much more drastic than normal. Maybe the trees are putting more energy into refoliating and not so much into growth.

Bougainvillea: This is what it looks like normally (courtesy Google Earth, it has been here for a long time, has survived a lot of tough winters. It will come back, it's green around the bottom of the lollipop.

Ficus: Looks like this (a part of it) now, went through the same thing in bad frost in early '07.

A year ago:

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:35 PM

Doesn't that just make you sick? My ficus hedge looked a lot like yours. It was about 12' tall and awesome. Now it looks like a bunch of stumps and mine has much less new sprouts on it than yours. What is there is at the very bottom. In fact, I think a couple of them died completely.

That's an awesome Bogainvillea.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 3:24 PM

Did a little bit of garage spring cleaning yesterday...Didn't even start out with that in mind but I've always wanted my own power tools...I've used them a ton in the past at friends' houses but never had a set and this weekend I said fuck it and bought some minimal shit to remove lug nuts, inflate tires, some brake job work etc. That sort of spiraled into cleaning out the garage cabinets...which meant I needed a tool chest (Sears had a pretty decent doeal 50% off this model so it was $70, not bad)...then I realized I didn't have a shop vac...so needed one of those...

Felt good getting everything all organized though...some pics!

Before...

After...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 4:31 PM
BANNED

Sweet box! I've been wanting one but I'm very short on storage so I'll wait until I have a house with a garage (who knows how long since I don't want to live outside of downtown.) Right now I just have all of my tools (a LOT) organized in my spare bedroom along with 5 bicycles, camping gear, 50+ purses, 100+ shoes, and various other odds and ends.

Roommates? pffft.

LOL

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 7:36 PM

^ Purses? Shoes? LMAO...

--don

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 9:28 PM

John, 50 purses and 100 shoes..... maybe you have something you want to share? And no worries, we will accept and not judge. I mean, I have zero purses and maybe 4 pairs of shoes myself, but I'm just sayin', that's who I am. ??? LOL

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 9:34 PM
BANNED

lol. I wasn't counting my shoes, which are almost as many pairs.

Someone living in my house has a leather fetish. Does that sound equally as bad?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 10:37 PM

or good, depending on one's tastes. LOL.....just not mine. LOL

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest