HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 11:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUSSY WILLOW View Post
ME

Scruffy

Thank you Sirs. Now on to Yankee Stadium for the sequel...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 1:25 PM
Bionic Boogie

^

LOL we were planning on hitting Yankee land, but after that tour we were tired!!....we will hit Da Bronx...this week
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 5:23 PM
BANNED

i like this field more then i like that new yankee stadium

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 1:46 AM
Lets Go Mets 2009 !!!

I wonder how the progress is coming along? Anyone close by to take a few pics?

That ice rink and pool looks likes its gonna be a nice addition to the area as well.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 7:28 AM
New Yorker for life

By ecnerwal

By ShellyS

Older aerial by adamsofen

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 5:11 AM
Everywhere all at once

I can't help but wonder...is this gonna have a positive effect on the divey-looking area to the west? (p.s. someone wanna inform me about said neighborhood, before I make more judgements?) This new ballpark is now going to be right across the street, is it not? ^^^

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 7:55 PM

^^ check the earlier pages in this thread... As I believe it's been posted about Michael Bloomberg's plans to redevelop the area. It IS a divey area that is mostly auto shops, auto dumps, etc... Certainly not a neighborhood that reflects the existence of major sports nearby (Shea/Citi, Arthur Ashe tennis center)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 6:21 PM
New Yorker for life

From AllWaysNY

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 8:13 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
^^ check the earlier pages in this thread... As I believe it's been posted about Michael Bloomberg's plans to redevelop the area. It IS a divey area that is mostly auto shops, auto dumps, etc... Certainly not a neighborhood that reflects the existence of major sports nearby (Shea/Citi, Arthur Ashe tennis center)
I think I'm gonna call Willets Point "Shitty Field" until they fix it up. Citi Field in Shitty Field....it works.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
All baseball ballparks are in the direction they're in because of the sun.

They're oriented that way in order to avoid having the sun in the batter's eye in the afternoon.
why dont they just wear shades? facing the manhattan skyline would be a nice feature. which is why i dont know why they didnt build the stadium in long island city on all that underutilized industrial land. a riverfront stadium in LIC facing manhattan would've been awesome!!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
I think I'm gonna call Willets Point "Shitty Field" until they fix it up. Citi Field in Shitty Field....it works.
the stadium is actually inside flushing meadows park, home of 2 world's fairs and 3rd biggest park in nyc (). much better area than yankees stadium crappy bronx location.

once they fix up all that industrial land that entire area will look great!!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqal View Post
why dont they just wear shades? facing the manhattan skyline would be a nice feature. which is why i dont know why they didnt build the stadium in long island city on all that underutilized industrial land. a riverfront stadium in LIC facing manhattan would've been awesome!!

There's no room in Long Island City. There is some underutilized land, but it was recently rezoned and is sprouting with new development everywhere.

It would be incredibly expensive to assemble a site for a stadium in Long Island City. Almost as bad as Manhattan.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 4:12 AM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

that crappy bronx location draws 4.5 million fans a year double that then new yorks 2nd team

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There's no room in Long Island City. There is some underutilized land, but it was recently rezoned and is sprouting with new development everywhere.

It would be incredibly expensive to assemble a site for a stadium in Long Island City. Almost as bad as Manhattan.
then how is it that the yankees and the giants wanted to build a whole new stadium on manhattan's west side? that area is even more congested and zoned than LIC. they could've rezoned the area in LIC for a stadium. they would've had less resistance from residents since there arent many in LIC compared to west side manhattan. (well i dont know exactly all the details but i'm just assuming.)

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 9:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
that crappy bronx location draws 4.5 million fans a year double
that then new yorks 2nd team
LOL. I like the new CitiField, but lets face it, the area around it needs more character. It's a
ballpark inside of a parking lot, inside of a park. One thing about the new location though, is
its closer to actual city streets, even though they are changing.

By adamsofen

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 1:39 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/16/sp...087&ei=5087%0A

Main Gate to Citi Field a Tribute to Robinson

By RICHARD SANDOMIR
April 16, 2008

About a decade ago, Sharon Robinson set down the nine values that defined her father, Jackie, and, by extension, guided her family: citizenship, commitment, courage, determination, excellence, integrity, justice, persistence and teamwork.

Those lessons will soon be memorialized on the interior walls and terrazzo floors of the Jackie Robinson Rotunda, the grand entrance hall to Citi Field, the ballpark that the Mets plan to complete by the end of the year.

The rotunda, with its brick archways, is an homage to the signature architectural feature of Ebbets Field, where Robinson broke major league baseball’s color barrier in 1947 and played for 10 seasons. It will serve as the stadium’s main gate but is intended to honor the life of Robinson, whom Fred Wilpon, the Mets’ principal owner, first met when Wilpon was a 16-year-old batting-practice pitcher for the Dodgers in the early ’50s.

“At my stage in life, you’re looking for permanence, you’re looking for things that will shore up the future,” Rachel Robinson, who at 85 is still advancing her husband’s civil rights activism through a vibrant educational foundation in his name, said at a news conference at Shea Stadium to announce the plans for the rotunda.

“What the rotunda means to me is we’ll have evidence of the progress we’ve made in the past and we’re going to affect future generations,” she said. “This rotunda is not just a place. It’s a stimulant, where I hope people will feel inspired and linger, and come early to the game, so they can see the rotunda.”

Later, she walked into the rotunda for the first time. It was 61 years to the day since her husband’s first regular-season game for the Dodgers, an anniversary celebrated throughout baseball Tuesday. She looked down at the construction site, and several construction workers looked up at her in her vivid yellow jacket and applauded.

“It’s like walking into a cathedral in a way,” she said.

The Mets’ tribute to Robinson is meant to be contemplative. There will be an eight-foot blue statue of his No. 42. His values will be illustrated with enormous photos from his life to be mounted in the upper reaches of the rotunda. His famous quotation — “A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives” — will be inscribed, along with the values, on a concrete strip above the archways.

“I think of it as a gathering place where people plan to come, to stand by the photos and meditate” on their lives and how they’re helping their communities, Robinson said.

Wilpon said that he expected as many as 30,000 fans a game to walk through the large plaza outside and pass through the rotunda (with its floor measuring 160 feet in diameter), and for others to come by appointment when the Mets are not playing.

“People will say, ‘I’ll meet you at the 42,’ ” he said, referring to the statue.

The rotunda has the 42 statue, but not one of Robinson, he added, “because Rachel’s idea is there are a lot of statues of Jackie and others, and sometimes the likenesses don’t look like the person.”

“Someone came up with the 42 idea, and she embraced it,” Wilpon said.

The rotunda is two or three times bigger than the one in Brooklyn that inspired it.

“But in love and feeling, it will be the same,” said Wilpon, who turns dreamy-eyed when talking about Ebbets Field.

As the rotunda evokes Robinson’s spirit, a museum is being planned at the new headquarters of the Jackie Robinson Foundation on Varick Street in TriBeCa. The foundation awards four-year scholarships of $7,500 annually to deserving minority students, and provides nurturing and other support for them.

The museum, she said, “will not just have artifacts, but it will be a gathering place.”

“Like the rotunda,” she said, “we want people to come in there, we want to have conferences and seminars.” She added: “We accept donations from everyone on every level. I’m just terrible, right? Our president is shaking her head. But we have to get there by ’09.”

It is halfway toward meeting its goal of raising $25 million, with contributions of $1.5 million each from the Mets and Citi, $1 million from the Yankees and $3 million from the Yawkey Foundation, said Leonard Coleman, the foundation’s chairman.

This week, ESPN announced that Rachel Robinson had approved the production of a theatrical film about her husband and Branch Rickey, the Dodgers’ general manager who signed him. It will be produced by ESPN Films; Robert Redford, who will play Rickey; and Baldwin/Cohen Productions.

“Like all films,” she said, “it’s taken longer than anticipated.”

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 1:48 PM
New Yorker for life

mlb.com

More photos from 94 AUG

From theskywatcher

From Marx and Engels

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 17, 2008 at 2:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 7:07 PM
ledru rollin

While it's obviously a huge improvement over Shea, there is something 'off' about the material color combos. I was over there the other day and struck by how much it looked like a suburban shopping mall- like a Nordstroms perhaps?

For a design which was supposed to echo Ebbets field, it really misses the mark color-wise. Hopefully a few years of being exposed to jet and car exhaust will tone it down.

And is the seating really going to be green as shown in the rendering?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 1:11 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's fucking awesome.

I would go to a game this summer to see it for myself, but I'm a Yankee fan.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 2:06 AM

I was born and raised a Mets fan. I've seen hundreds of games on TV played at Shea Stadium (only been once ).... I have to say that of all the "Stadium under construction beyond the outfield" photos I have seent eh last decade plus, this one is the biggest improvement of view.... I don't know why I see it that way but I don't see it as a construction eyesore... I see it as an improvement to the backdrop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive