HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:15 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Most other politicians are "approachable" because they're media whores.

Ford ran for more selfless reasons; to fight corruption and stand up for taxpayers.
Those are rather odd statements. This doesn't have too much to do with the incident in question, but Rob Ford extensively promoted his approachability while running for office. The whole "you can call me anytime" thing. Of course this has changed dramatically now that he is mayor.

And you could easily attribute the second statement to David Miller, albeit replacing "taxpayers" with "citizens". Saying selfless things is pretty easy you know?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:25 PM

Quote:

Ford ran for more selfless reasons; to fight corruption and stand up for taxpayers.
So what does he do? Make backroom deals and meetings with developers about the Portlands, and cuts services.

Good work there Rob!

He ran because he's a blowhard who wants power. Him and his idiot brother.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:31 PM

^^ I think most of us knew the Portlands would never materialize so who cares.

Also, it's pretty safe to say that most municipalities in N.A are cutting services.

I bet there are lots of legitimate reasons to dislike Ford but more than often not I think it's people venting about their own shortcomings.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:34 PM

Quote:

Also, it's pretty safe to say that most municipalities in N.A are cutting services.

I bet there are lots of legitimate reasons to dislike Ford but more than often not I think it's people venting about their own shortcomings.
1. It doesn't matter if people knew it was stupid, it still showed signs of corruption and backroom deals.. The exact thing Ford wanted to stop. As long as he's the only one doing it right?

2. His promise was to cut taxes without cutting services. Those exact words. He had no idea what he was talking about and the people of suburban Toronto were duped by a blowhard with a catchy slogan.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:35 PM

If Rob Ford didn't know who Marg Delahunty was, all it shows is his ignorance. Really no excuse for this ignorance within the Canadian political context. You as a citizen may not know who she is, but you're not a Canadian politician.

Her act in my view has always been a rite of passage for prominent Canadian politicians -- a litmus test of sorts for Canadians to view their politicians for who they are.

Assuming for a moment that the 22 Minutes crew was wrong in approaching Rob Ford in the manner that they did... that doesn't somehow vindicate Rob Ford.

He's a public figure, he signed up for this job and got it. Head of the largest and most important city in Canada, he needs to suck it up and embrace the full responsibilities of being the Toronto mayor.

He can't pick and choose his responsibilities, he can't punch in at 9 and punch out at 5, he can't shun away large portions of the population because he deems it inconvenient or unsavory.

If he can't handle a situation as simple as Marg Delahunty, then maybe he should just step aside for someone who can.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 6:00 PM

For those who don't know Marge Delahunty, here's a clip of her with the former PM.

Video Link

Now even though Ford isn't my mayor, iv gotta say this ticks me off. The fact that he doesn't know who she is yet he's been involved in politics for years is just sad. And the fact that he called the police is just crazy.

My question is how was this guy ever voted in?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 6:02 PM
Look at me!

What a moron. Really, this is moronic behaviour on his part. And, he had the chance to spew whatever policy he wanted on a national platform, instead he sulked like a child and decided to call the pigs.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 7:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

He's a big feller but he can't seem to man up.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 9:37 PM

I love Marg - she was one of my favorite characters. Was so much fun going to see that show when I lived in Halifax.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 9:41 PM
Here and There

I would have lauged my FACE off if she was on my front lawn in the morning. Was it kind of bad taste for them to show up? Maybe, but he did react kind of strange.

Has Ford made a lot of enemies?? If he has, that is his problem for being such an idiot on TV. He wont last long.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 11:53 PM
BANNED

I'm ashamed that my tax dollars go towards this shitty show.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl69 View Post
I'm ashamed that my tax dollars go towards this shitty show.
You obviously don't watch it enough to have an opinion, or have a poor sense of humour.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 12:30 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
You obviously don't watch it enough to have an opinion, or have a poor sense of humour.
Or different people have different tastes.

I know, all of us on the Internet might need our heart medications after that bombshell, but - it's actually possible, or so I hear.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 12:44 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Personally I found her skits irritating as a kid and I still find them irritating. I think most people know her only as "that woman from 'This Hour Has 22 Minutes'". Can't blame Ford for not knowing her, since I never really watched that show either (I was always more of an Air Farce fan).
You find 22 Minutes irritating... but watch Air Farce?

I call bullshit.

Quote:
Those who care are the people who don't want their elected leaders to waste time and money investigating proposals that "most of us knew would never materialize".

In the late 1990 and early 2000s, my city's council spent millions looking at a very similar development to your Portlands (it was called Portside) and the corruption was so rampant that by the following election, almost every single councillor lost their job! The whole thing was so full of corruption that most of them ended up embroiled in lawsuits, and the city manager was fired. The project's cancellation and its legal issues cost us several million dollars (and we're 1/25th the size of Toronto) and took 5 years to clean up. Our infrastructure deficit is equal to our actual budget. We've had bridges and fire stations condemned because of it, and now we have to spend millions more to fix things that were put off over a decade ago. The long term plan to fix their neglect extends to 2025 and has a price tag of about a billion dollars. These would have been prevented with routine fixes a decade ago that were put off to "save money for taxpayers". We're paying very high rates now to make up for the low rates of the past. We basically cut ourselves out of prosperity.

Rob Ford is seriously fucking over Toronto. I say this as someone who had a Rob Ford-esque personality as mayor in the 1990s. Torontonians should be thankful that Hudak didn't get elected a couple weeks ago. The combination of a mayor like Fort and a premier like Hudak is a city destroyer. We lost almost 10% of our population and most of our large employers between 1995 and 2003. It would have started several years earlier if Bob Rae hadn't been sending so much government money up here.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 12:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
I have seen the show many times. Thanks for assuming I have not, and that I do not have a sense of humour, bud.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 1:31 AM

Mean while back at the ranch.

We are in serious times and for example the Canada Post (Postal) labour situation had a member show up at a corporate executive's home with a weapon. So Mr. Ford has pissed off many people with his proposed cuts, so I would be leery to any strangers near my home.
So he invited media to his house on his terms, when an unwanted person comes on your property it is a criminal offense and you have a legal right to a sense of security. He calls the shots who he wants to attend and when.
I just ask put yourself in his shoes, you are wandering out ot your car to drive to work and some lady in a gladiators outfit approaches you with a fake ??? Sword. Not your average morning after kissing the wife and kids good bye.
I also repeat my observation you will note from the video post with John Chetien that is definitely Parliment hill.
It is an unwritten rule a persons home is sacred and if you want the same consideration, respect the personal territory. That is why you seldom see even during the hardest fought election campaingns they never involved the family nor the home turf.
CBC must admit that they were totally out of bounds and apologize.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 1:57 AM

I really hope he gets a fine for misusing 911.

He could have just as easily been a gutless media fearing blowhard by calling the police and not tying up 911 for people who actually have a legitimate reason.

And don't rag on Marg Delahunty, she's a national icon.

But then again, so's Margaret Atwood, and we've seen how well Rob knows her.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 2:14 AM
I am a typical

One of Thunder Bay's police officers repeatedly crank called 911 on Christmas to make racist and sexist jokes at operators and he has been suspended with pay for a few years now.

Crank calling 911 pays more than winning the lottery it seems.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
3. He invited the media over to his house when he was hosting a barbeque, so it's not like they were invading on his private space like nobody has before..
I love this point because now I can't help but picture media figures as actual vampires. Invite them in once and it becomes a permanent invitation.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 1:08 PM
sick transit, gloria

It gets better. Much, much better:

Quote:
Rob Ford accused of verbally attacking 911 dispatchers
CBC News

Toronto’s 911 dispatchers are accusing the city’s mayor, Rob Ford, of calling them "bitches" and hurling a string of profanity at them during an emergency call early Monday.
In the video of the encounter, Ford seems at first to be playing along, but becomes increasingly agitated, asking, “Can I go to my car please?”

Ford eventually walked back inside his home and called 911 — not once, but twice.

Several police sources tell CBC News that Ford asked for police assistance but became agitated as he waited, and called back to ask when officers would arrive.

Sources say Ford turned on the dispatcher, yelling: “You…bitches! Don’t you f--king know? I’m Rob f--king Ford, the mayor of this city!”

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/rob-ford-ac...094333713.html

Last edited by niwell; Oct 27, 2011 at 1:52 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto