HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 2:37 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Mary Walsh's movies are much better than her TV skits, to be honest. Never liked her on TV.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 4:29 AM
gettin' rich!

This whole incident is going down in Canadian Tales of Lore.

Lines going down in history

"You Bitches"

"Do you know who I am?"

"I'm Rob - Fucking - Ford"

"The Mayor of this City"

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 4:39 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
The Australian one is... interesting. Lots of emphasis on heavy-duty 4-wheel drive vehicles doing ridiculous things. "ROIT, T'DAI WE'R GEN' SEE IF THE TAYOTA LAND CRUISA CAN JUMP 56 CROCS AND SURVOIVE A POOL OF STINGRAYS". Still way better than the American one.
Hahahah! brilliant.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 5:52 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I don't see any of these things really being banned in Canada. Don Cherry has pretty much called professional hockey players he dislikes "faggot" and gotten away with it, and he is the highest paid government employee in the country. (He makes, like, 10 times what Stephen Harper does). Rob Ford has made similar racist comments against Asians and he was elected mayor of our largest city. He said that if a cyclist gets killed in an accident on the street, it is always the cyclists fault for being there.
The comments aren't necessarily "banned", but Don Cherry gets into hot water a lot more than Clarkson does, and I believe this is because Canadians tend to be overly sensitive. For example: sure, Cherry calls hockey players "faggots" (although I think "pukes" was the specific word used), but then the entire press is in an uproar the next day and every gay rights activist and casual hockey fan alike is calling for an apology. Clarkson calls politicians he doesn't like "gay", he calls mushy cars "gay", and generally anything he views as weird or awkward is "gay". It's hardly front-page news the next day in Britain, because people just don't care. Point is the CBC (and really the press in general; remember the "Pinkos on Bikes" fiasco?) has responded to Cherry's un-PC comments far more harshly than the BBC has to Clarkson's, which is what I was getting at.

Quote:
You are basically arguing for entertainers to say and do anything they want, while criticizing an entertainer for saying and doing something she wanted.
I was only supporting their right to say anything- not do anything. Sure, they can do almost anything, but I draw the line at private (or state-endowed) property. I don't remember Clarkson heading over to Ken Livingstone's house, nor do I remember Don Cherry going to lambast Stu Grimson at his house. Sure, Mercer paid a visit to the cuddly Mr. Harper in 24 Sussex, but that was after a mutual agreement. So where did they get the idea for trying to pull a prank on a politician at his private residence? I wouldn't approve of Ezra Levant doing this to Dalton McGuinty for a Sun News stunt, and I don't approve of Walsh doing it to Rob-Fucking-Ford for a 22 Minutes stunt either. Simple as that.

Quote:
BTW, the consort to our head of state has more than topped all of those.
But there's a difference- he's not funny.

Last edited by Wharn; Oct 28, 2011 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 6:55 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post

"You Bitches"
"Do you know who I am?"
"The Mayor of this City"
It's the best quote from a Toronto mayor since the Mel Lastman days:
"What the hell would I want to go to a place like Mombasa for?...I just see myself in a pot of boiling water with all these natives dancing around me."

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 1:11 PM

I can't believe a thread about the mayor of Toronto getting ambushed by someone in a warrior princess costume has people accusing characters like that of being muzzled by "politically correct overseers". This is the network of Rick Mercer, who went skinnydipping with Bob Rae. George Stroumboulopoulos, one of the best interviewers on tv. The whole cast of 22 Minutes, who, funny or not, makes fools of politicians of all stripes right to their faces. Does that happen on BBC (it might, I'm genuinely curious now).

Jeremy Clarkson gets in trouble in the media all the time. But the difference between him and Don Cherry is that Clarkson says what he says for comedic effect, to get a rise out of people. And even if you disagree with him, he's funny. OTOH, Cherry is completely serious and means what he says.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 1:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
“I was frustrated. If I offended someone, I apologize,” he told reporters. “Maybe I shouldn’t have used the F-word. I apologize.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2215608/
Maybe?

Ford is totally in over his head as Mayor. The stress is showing.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 6:01 AM

If a plitician is at a political or civic event or at work then they are fair game.
This was at the man's home and he has a right to be pissed. It's not his lack of humour but rather her lack of taste.
Everyone has a right to privacy and going to someone's home just to try to boost your ratings is childish and in extremely poor taste.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 9:40 AM

Do we judge the lack of taste of 22 Min more, or that of the Toronto voter. Both are protected by charter rights, bad taste or not.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 9:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by new age View Post
Do we judge the lack of taste of 22 Min more, or that of the Toronto voter. Both are protected by charter rights, bad taste or not.
Both are also extremely annoying.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 4:09 AM

Self-loathing Canadians, Rob fucking Ford...I'm so glad I don't have to listen to sh*t like this anymore.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 4:38 AM

Wink

this thread should be in toronto section not in Canada!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 5:29 AM

TYT's take on this

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
this thread should be in toronto section not in Canada!
Well, doncha know that Toronto IS Canada?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 4:32 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post

"You Bitches"

"Do you know who I am?"

"The Mayor of this City"
So it doesn't matter if he actually said any of this, which apparently he did not?

I'm eagerly awaiting the episode in which Mary/Marg accosts the CBC's beloved Mayor Nenshi early in the morning at his home.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 4:59 PM
gettin' rich!

If he didn't say it he can release the tapes.

Prove us left-wingers wrong.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 5:29 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
Self-loathing Canadians, Rob fucking Ford...I'm so glad I don't have to listen to sh*t like this anymore.
Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes across the globe. You cannot escape its irritating stickyness; once touched, you are forever bound to it.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 6:02 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I'm eagerly awaiting the episode in which Mary/Marg accosts the CBC's beloved Mayor Nenshi early in the morning at his home.
Maybe that might happen if Nenshi was a spluttering cretin seemingly incapable of telling the truth about anything?

That Ford was elected to office is a real black eye for Toronto, and testament both to how weak his rivals were and how much of a disconnect there is between downtown and the suburbs. But here's the thing: Toronto is beginning to sense fear, and the wolves are circling. I really think the city is going to do a very non-Canadian thing and eat him alive. Which, in compensation for the embarrassment of having him as mayor, should at least be quite entertaining.

Like Molson Ex says, Ford is in way over his head. He functions best as a one-trick demagogue sneering from the sidelines, not as the leader of a large and complex entity of competing interests and factions. He'd thought the wave of suburban resentment he rode in on would make for smooth sailing (sorry, surfing), but now that he's encountering opposition he's completely flummoxed.

He deserves all of the opprobrium he gets.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 11:52 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
So it doesn't matter if he actually said any of this, which apparently he did not?
If he didn't say it, then why did he apologize for his remarks?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 12:14 AM
Starring as himself

As I understand it, he apologized for using the a form of the word f*** once in one of the conversations. According to Chief Blair and Ford himself, and as I recall to unnamed sources cited by the Globe & Mail, he did not call anyone a bitch or say anything like "I am Rob F***ing Ford" or any of the things that the CBC story attributed to him, and which were gleefully tweeted around the world by various people, including certain friends of mine who were almost delirious with excitement over the "revelation".

This CBC article, while headlined so as to suggest that only the "bitches" comment is being denied, seems accurate enough in terms of describing what is being denied.

link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto