HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 9:35 PM

Another project coming up is one of the crown jewels of Hollywood.
Childrens Hospital Los Angeles (off of Sunset/Vermont) has started construction on a new inpatient tower to replace it's 1960 ish structure that is outdated and too small. CHLA is one of the top ten children's hospitals in the nation and the new Saban Research Center is a top five pediatric research program. Sure it's no W hotel but still pretty darn cool.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 9:39 PM

^ Yeah definitely. To have a cutting-edge research facility adds to the quality of life index for Los Angeles. Last time I checked, "living longer" was considered important!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 12:17 AM

Not so much a project, but...

CIM is still making changes to Hollywood & Highland. The latest is the addition of a "water feature" in the central courtyard. They're doing some construction now, but when I passed by about a month ago, I couldn't quite figure out what it was going to be.

Anyone know exactly what kind of water feature it's gonna be?

(BTW: I can't get over how much H&H has changed since CIM took over. New signage, the new elevators, new lights, new directory signs, new stores, it's great.)

Also: Do you guys think Cheesecake Factory would be willing to open a restaurant either in the H&H complex, or across the street? I mean, the foot traffic is there, both during the day and night. I think it'd be pretty cool. Especially if they were able to take over that last string of nasty shops across from H&H.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachUrbanist
MapGoulet described Rossmore/Vine becoming ugly once it comes out of Hancock Park. If anything, that's an argument for NIMBYs. As much as I dislike them, at least Hancock Park makes sure that the city takes care of their streets.

I was referring to the NIMBY mentality that isn't being directed at problems involving city property or purely public issues, due to mismanagment or apathy by city govt, but at NIMBYism aimed at new devlpt or proposed projs on private property.

IOW, it's one thing for ppl to be unhappy about poorly maintained or outdated infrastructure. But it's another thing for them to complain as much or certainly more about new devlpt or projs (such as the Madrone) instead of all the rundown, ugly places throughout their hood. So such ppl aren't yelling at property owners: "hurry up & clean up & improve all those spaces on Vine street!!" They're instead yelling "not in my backyard!!!!"

Old Posted Mar 16, 2006, 12:12 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Update: Capitol Records Building for Sale
By ANDY FIXMER
Los Angeles Business Journal Staff

Capitol Records Inc. has informed city officials that parent company EMI Group PLC could sell its historic Hollywood building and surrounding campus.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Council President Eric Garcetti have already contacted executives at Capitol Records and EMI Group in hopes of keeping the recording company – and its roughly 160 employees – in Hollywood.

Villaraigosa has called EMI executives several times, offering to come up with public assistance to help the recording company remain in its landmark tower north of Hollywood Boulevard on Vine Street.

“Capitol has told city officials that they have received various offers,” said Helmi Hisserich, head of the Hollywood office of the Community Redevelopment Agency of Los Angeles. “We are working diligently on keeping Capitol Records in Hollywood, where we think they want to be located.”

EMI spokeswoman Jeanne Meyer confirmed the company had received offers but insisted the building wasn’t being actively shopped on the market.

“We have received some proposals and it’s our responsibility to review any serious offer,” she said. “It’s no secret that every property owner in that area has been getting offers.”

Meyer said EMI could sell the Capitol Records building if the company could lease back the property for a period of 10 to 15 years. Under that scenario Capitol Records would continue to operate at the site.

Several reasons are driving EMI’s decision to consider selling its historic Welton Beckett-designed property, which resembles a stack of records and doubles as an icon for the label.

Lower revenues, stemming from music piracy to lackluster CD sales, have forced EMI executives to consider ways to pare down overhead.

The company has already sold off several of its CD and DVD manufacturing and distribution subsidiaries, though in each case EMI entered into long-term service contracts with the former units.

“We’re basically taking in the reality of the music business,” Meyer said. “We’re focused on information technology now, and we’re rapidly transforming into digital business with a digital product.”

EMI executives have also expressed frustration that many of the buildings near its property are being converted into condominiums. There are about 160 units coming online during the next year at Hollywood and Vine, and developers are planning a 10-story residential project across the street from Capitol Records at the former KFWB radio station.

Real estate brokers believe the Capitol Records building could fetch around $50 million or more, depending on whether the city would allow the historic structure to be converted into condominiums.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 16, 2006, 8:25 AM

^ It just wouldn't be the same if Capitol Records left and it became condos. It needs to stay office.

I don't understand why EMI is frustrated with the area becoming more residential though. Do they want the area empty and blighted? Interesting...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2006, 4:44 PM

Capitol Condos? Critics Hate the Sound of It

For generations, industry titans wishing to place their mark on Los Angeles often did so through their buildings. These were structures destined to become landmarks like the Romanesque 1924 Gas Co. building and the towering Art Deco Title Guarantee.

By Cara Mia DiMassa, Times Staff Writer
March 16, 2006

For generations, industry titans wishing to place their mark on Los Angeles often did so through their buildings. These were structures destined to become landmarks like the Romanesque 1924 Gas Co. building and the towering Art Deco Title Guarantee building.

As Los Angeles lost its perch as a corporate center in the 1980s and 1990s, the buildings were left behind, sometimes little more than empty hulls. Until recently, that is, when a spate of buildings that once served as corporate headquarters have been revived as luxury condos and lofts.

But word this week that music giant EMI was considering offers to sell the landmark Capitol Records building in Hollywood to a developer who might convert the structure into condos has been met with concern.

A growing number of city leaders, including Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, are suggesting that the famous stacked-record tower is too much an icon to be turned into housing. They say that Los Angeles already has enough famous buildings that used to be something else and that they would prefer that the Capitol tower remain part of the music business. The tower, near the corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street, "is an operating, corporate headquarters," said Josh Kamensky, a spokesman for City Council President Eric Garcetti. "It's not just that they look like a stack of records. It's that the music of today and tomorrow is happening in there."

The sentiment is shared by other Angelenos, who say that they like the idea that music is still made inside the building and that it is not just a landmark of the past.

"If they leave, it'll take something away from Hollywood," said Erin Bennett, a hostess at Hollywood and Vine, a restaurant on the northeast corner of the famed intersection. "It'll be an old building that used to be something."

Ghosts of Los Angeles' regal past have been re-emerging in solid form.

In Mid-Wilshire, workers are converting a sleek 22-story office tower — the longtime home of Getty Oil Co. — into 260 condos complete with a rooftop pool and spa. Downtown, whole sections are returning to life, with lofts at Henry Huntington's block-square 1905 Pacific Electric trolley headquarters and apartments in the former General Petroleum headquarters, which was designed in the late 1940s by Welton Becket, whose firm did the Capitol building.

Developers love the buildings because their rich history and details offer a special cachet. Preservationists mostly applaud the projects, because they spare the often rundown buildings from the wrecking ball. And city officials cheer at anything that dents Los Angeles' housing shortage.

Kate Bartolo, senior vice president of development for Kor Realty Group, which is restoring buildings in Hollywood and other parts of Los Angeles, said such projects make financial sense because developers can pay for the hefty restoration costs with the sale of condos.

Los Angeles has its share of former corporate flagships to work with: It once was the home to some of America's most prestigious companies, such as Arco, First Interstate Bank and Security Pacific Bank. But the city has only a few Fortune 500 company headquarters now

"Perhaps it's because Los Angeles didn't take the care it should have for several years in preserving its landmarks," said Bartolo, who is converting the turquoise-tiled Art Deco building that once housed the Eastern and Columbia outfitting companies into 147 housing units. "When you are in an iconic building, it's a hard feeling to explain. You feel like you are part of something…. Without sounding overly sentimental, you do feel like you're part of history."

But Capitol Records is different, said Diana Rubio, a spokeswoman for Villaraigosa. It is more that just an architecturally significant building, she said, it's a symbol of Los Angeles and the entertainment industry.

Soon after the 13-story building, said to be the world's first cylindrical office tower, was built in 1956, it became a landmark symbol of enterprise and talent. Capitol Records, one of the few record companies to be based on the West Coast, has included on its roster Frank Sinatra, the Beatles, the Beastie Boys and Radiohead. "There isn't any other building like it," Rubio said. "It's a lot like the Hollywood sign. There's only one Hollywood sign, and there's only one Capitol Records building."

Only about 160 Capitol Records employees work in the building — a fraction of the thousands working in the music business in Los Angeles. But Rubio and others contend that it says something important about the city to have music industry people working in a building famous for music.

In 2000, Capitol Records officials said they were prepared to leave Hollywood because of a lack of parking and the need to upgrade their building. The City Council spent $4 million to help Capitol refurbish a nearby office building and prevent the move.

Jeanne Murphy, a spokeswoman for EMI, said Wednesday that although the company was not "actively shopping" the building, it had received several serious proposals from interested buyers.

"We have a responsibility to look at anything serious," she said.

Murphy said that even if the company sold the building, it would explore an arrangement in which some of the space would be used by the record company "if the economics were right."

Even Ken Bernstein, head of the Los Angeles Conservancy, which has pushed for so-called "adaptive reuse" projects, sees a distinction with the Capitol Records building.

Many old corporate landmarks that have been rehabilitated were vacant or underused for years. The Eastern and Columbia building last served as headquarters for the Eastern Outfitting Co. in the 1950s, around the same time that the last Red Car rolled out of Pacific Electric headquarters.

The Capitol Records building, Bernstein said, is different because it remains a center of the music world.

"It is appropriate that city officials ask whether that should apply to active corporate anchors," he said.

Villaraigosa and city officials are working with EMI to head off a sale and keep Capitol Records in Hollywood.

Kamensky, Garcetti's spokesman, said his office was arguing that converting Capitol Records to condos would clash with the intent of the city's condo conversion ordinance, which is designed to help restore long-vacant buildings.

There also is a concern that by going condo, the Capitol Records building could upset a balance in Hollywood among retail, residential and commercial space in a quickly changing zone.

"We have to be really careful to make sure we don't transform Hollywood into a city of restaurants and lounges and high-end residential," said Kor Group's Bartolo, "without being mindful of the need to have office workers in the area by day to shop and eat in the restaurants."

Old Posted Mar 16, 2006, 4:52 PM

My sentiments exactly with that article as my previous post shows. It would just seem really weird to have the Capitol Records become condo. I would rather it stay office even if it weren't the music label in there. It's almost like turning City Hall into lofts or making the Griffith Observatory into residential. It just wouldn't seem right. Not for something that iconic.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2006, 7:11 PM
Ridin' The Metro

^ Speaking of the Griffith Observatory, that project's finally nearing completion, and is expected to reopen this fall. It closed in Jan 2002, over four years ago.

That really is one of LA's treasures. It'll be great to have it back online.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2006, 7:42 PM

^ I know, I can't wait

That and the Getty Villa opening this year has really made 2006 a fantastic year when it comes to boosting LA's culture quotient.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2006, 7:45 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ I'm going to the Getty Villa next week. Scored two tickets on a Sunday, which aren't easy to come by. I'll bring my camera...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Mar 16, 2006, 8:00 PM

^ You're soo lucky!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2006, 8:43 PM

Another proj, actually NW of Hollywood, that's been slowed down by NIMBYism, has finally gotten through the process.

However, I can just see the devlpr saying that since the cost of labor & materials is so high right now, the proj will have to be reworked & delayed for another yr or so.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2006, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachUrbanist
That really is one of LA's treasures. It'll be great to have it back online.

I didn't realize the dome would be completely redone. I'm guessing that's totally new copper & not just the original surface polished to its original color.

Nothing better than projs like the return of the observatory & the return of the original Getty bldg in Malibu.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2006, 9:25 PM

Location: L.A. - city of smog; scenesters, hipsters, sneakers, blogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
^ I'm going to the Getty Villa next week. Scored two tickets on a Sunday, which aren't easy to come by. I'll bring my camera...
cool.. i'm going next week too, with my architecture frat! sadly my camera was stolen a few weeks ago.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2006, 10:50 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That sucks, man. Mine broke a few weeks ago and I had to pony up for a new one. It was all ramen noodles for a couple of weeks there.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch
Another proj, actually NW of Hollywood, that's been slowed down by NIMBYism, has finally gotten through the process.

However, I can just see the devlpr saying that since the cost of labor & materials is so high right now, the proj will have to be reworked & delayed for another yr or so.

Looks like they'll break ground late 2007 with about 2½ years of construction. We're looking at an optimistic grand opening of 2010 or 2011! Not bad, that'll be around the same time that the W Hollywood will open as well. AND since it'll take about 3 years to finish the W Downtown LA, we might have 3 W Hotels open up in 2011!!! I can just see the PR call it the "Year of the W."

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 2:08 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Guess this should be posted here, even though it's been referred to already...

Court Approves Sunset Millennium Project
By ANDY FIXMER
Los Angeles Business Journal Staff
March 17, 2006

A Los Angeles Superior Court judge has upheld approvals for a massive Sunset Strip mixed-use project.

Superior Court Judge David Yaffe rejected arguments of Save the Sunset Strip Coalition that the City of West Hollywood inappropriately approved the project, which will straddle the intersection of Sunset and La Cienega boulevards.

Sunset Millennium is to contain two hotels with 296 rooms combined that will be branded a W and a J.W. Marriott and a 190-unit condominium building with room for ground floor shops and restaurants.

The developer, Apollo Real Estate Advisors, estimates the project will create about 400 jobs in the hotel, restaurants and shops, that it will generate $2.8 million in fees and taxes for West Hollywood, and result in 400 parking spaces for public use.

“We feel validated by the judge’s ruling and are eager to move forward with our project,” said Apollo principal Richard Ackerman in a statement. “It has been a long, and sometimes difficult, road to reach this stage, but now it’s time to begin work on what we think will be the crown jewel of the Sunset Strip.”

The project was first approved by West Hollywood seven years ago but only the first phase of the project was completed. The city approved the second phase in April and opponents – including the Grafton and Mondrian hotels – filed a lawsuit to block the development.

Yaffe’s decision paves the way for Sunset Millennium developer Apollo Real Estate Advisors to begin construction later this year. Construction is expected to take 26 months to complete.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2006, 6:39 AM

Old Posted Mar 20, 2006, 8:28 PM

^ since that link will expire, I'll post the entire article here. It doesn't cover anything most here aren't already aware of. However, it does give important info about response to the condo proj at the old Broadway bldg, & hints at possible new delays for the Hollywood & Vine proj because of lawsuits:

LA Times, March 19, 2006

HOUSING BOOM: A view of residences planned at Vine Street, left, and Selma Avenue at
the south end of the W Hotel complex. (McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners)

At Home in Tinseltown

A flurry of projects in the area around Hollywood and Vine are designed to restore the famous intersection's luster and make it an 'in place' to live and play.

By Roger Vincent, Times Staff Writer

Hollywood and Vine, the once-storied intersection that had degenerated into a home to panhandlers, prostitutes and drug dealers, soon could become home to an entirely different crowd: some of Los Angeles' most well-heeled glitterati. Developers hope their planned $1.2-billion construction of more than 2,000 upscale condominiums and apartments, along with a new ritzy W Hotel and other attractions, will make the spot a Los Angeles rarity — a neighborhood like parts of Manhattan, with residents and nightlife.

The condos already are enjoying strong buyer demand. But the proposed transformation has its naysayers. Some existing business owners and neighbors worry about increased traffic congestion and say new residents may get turned off by the bustling nightlife the development is intended to enhance. Los Angeles city officials have been plotting Hollywood and Vine's comeback for more than a decade, but didn't foresee the rush for high-end living in an area that had seen better days.

"We are a little bit surprised that Vine is becoming a premier residential address," said Helmi Hisserich, the Community Redevelopment Agency's regional administrator for Hollywood. "It just sort of emerged. Vine is going to become an extraordinarily wonderful street for Los Angeles."

The momentum is so strong that developers are trying to buy the cylindrical Capitol Records Tower north of the intersection in the hope of converting it to condos. Early buyer reaction bodes well for builders at Hollywood and Vine, where construction at all four corners is underway or close to starting. Nearly all 96 units in the former Broadway department store at the southwest corner of the intersection were sold as soon at they went on the market. Prices ranged from more than $500,000 to $2.8 million for some penthouses. Developer Kor Group said there were hundreds of registrants for a chance to purchase a unit, but declined to identify any buyers. One of them, though, was real estate broker John Tronson, who described "a feeding frenzy" among "mostly high-profile L.A. people or celebrities who want an L.A. base. They think it will be hottest place in town."

Part of the appeal for the glitterati is the reputation of Kor Group as a purveyor of Old Hollywood style. Chief Executive Brad Korzen and his wife, interior designer Kelly Wearstler, build for the chic set and made a splash with their lavishly decorated boutique hotels such as the Avalon in Beverly Hills and the Viceroy in Santa Monica.

Hollywood's rebirth is a bit ahead of the comeback going on in downtown Los Angeles, where Kor is also building condos, Korzen said. "Hollywood and Vine is surrounded by dozens and dozens of clubs, bars and restaurants," Korzen said. "It's got a robust nightlife in an urban setting. You don't have that anywhere else in L.A."

Korzen is transforming two adjoining buildings that date to the 1920s and 1930s and served as the now-defunct Broadway chain's high-end Hollywood outpost for decades before closing in the 1980s. To revive the glamour factor, he is adding a roof garden with pool, cabanas, an exercise room and a spa. The Broadway, the former Equitable office building across the street at the northeast corner and the Taft office building at the southeast corner are links to the era when Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street was one of the city's great crossroads in the 1920s, when it was the second-busiest intersection after Wilshire Boulevard and Western Avenue. It was a gateway to the San Fernando Valley in pre-freeway Los Angeles and had been a draw for the movie industry from the very beginning. Cecil B. DeMille shot "The Squaw Man," Hollywood's first feature film, at the nearby corner of Selma Avenue and Vine in 1914. Later, radio and then television stations set up operations in the neighborhood and KFWB announcers chirped often that they were broadcasting "from Hollywood and Vine," according to historian Marc Wanamaker. "It was considered the downtown of Hollywood."

Such mass appeal was a distant memory by the 1980s, when the neighborhood fell prey to such activities as drug dealing, prostitution and panhandling. By the early 1990s, the Community Redevelopment Agency had come up with a plan for improving Hollywood that called for commercial and residential development at the intersection. Changing political administrations, subway construction and real estate downturns kept builders at bay, however. Finally, a city ordinance that simplified conversion of commercial buildings to residential use, along with the Hollywood and Highland development and the recent housing boom, spurred developers to action. The area's grittiness even holds appeal for some.

"Hollywood has just become what the Meatpacking District was five years ago in New York," said developer Avi Brosh, who builds for the single, hip and affluent and who is also spearheading the effort at Hollywood and Vine. "It's the emerging epicenter of nightlife and culture."

Brosh's Palisades Development Group is currently converting the Equitable building to condominiums. He also got city approval in January to build a five-story condominium building on the intersection's northwest corner. It will replace a parking lot situated between a nightclub and a theater built in 1927 that was home to the "Hollywood Palace" television vaudeville show in the 1960s. He plans to provide furnished units for rent and for sale, all with a concierge, housekeeping staff and room service from the street-level restaurant. "We want people who might have stayed in an Oakwood but don't feel in tune with their design," said Brosh, referring to the West Los Angeles-based company that specializes in renting furnished apartments.

The next major addition will spring up around the Taft building and a subway entrance at the intersection's southeast corner. Gatehouse Capital Corp. received approval from the city Planning Commission last month to build a 300-room W Hotel along with 150 condominiums served by the hotel's staff. The project will include a restaurant, spa, fitness facility and rooftop bar. The opportunity to build at Hollywood and Vine was worth the five years of effort it will have taken to get underway, said Marty Collins, Gatehouse's president. "It is one of those iconic intersections in the world," Collins said. "From Africa to Nepal to China, you can say the word 'Hollywood' and they have an image of it that is largely good."

Another developer, Legacy Partners, will contribute 375 apartments and retail space on the ground floor including a convenience grocery store, said Dennis Cavallari, senior vice president. Plans for the development call for eliminating some old buildings along Vine, including a cocktail lounge, juice bar and a luggage store, which were condemned earlier this month by the Community Redevelopment Agency through eminent domain. Luggage store operator Robert Blue said he would mount a court challenge to keep possession of his 78-year-old building in part because he hopes to be in business when new residents arrive. "All these people will need luggage and repairs."

Some longtime locals wonder if the neighborhood's transformation will go smoothly. The trouble with Hollywood's current appeal, said puppet maker Greg Williams, is that "it's all alcohol-based" around trendy nightclubs. New residents may not care for the noise the clubs generate, he said. Williams, who said he grew up in Hollywood and later ran his Puppet Studio at Hollywood and Vine, said a lack of city leadership following damages from the 1994 Northridge earthquake and following subway construction disruptions ruptured the fabric of the business community by driving out longtime small-business owners.

Like many neighbors in the path of development, Nancy Omeara, who keeps an office in the Taft building, worries whether all the new residents and their cars will be too much of a good thing. "It's great people are going to be coming," said Omeara, vice president of the Foundation for Religious Freedom. "It's all a positive story except for the traffic. Maybe we'll actually have a city here."

Former New Yorker Raymond Urgo, also a Taft building tenant, said he was worried about the heavy focus on housing development instead of office or retail. "Everybody is trying to get in on residential, but I'm not sure the mix is right," said Urgo, a management consultant. "The people coming in are going to be paying too much for what they are getting." Without other uses besides housing, "it will be 10 or 20 years before it becomes a true hot spot," Urgo said.

Perhaps not surprisingly, developer Brosh predicts success will come a lot sooner: "What you are going to see is probably the most dynamic corner in the city. If you're an urban person, this will be as good as it gets."

FOCAL POINT: An architectural rendering of the W Hotel at the southwest corner of Holly-
wood Boulevard and Argyle Avenue. (HKS Architects)

HOLLYWOOD HOMES: Developer Brad Korzen outside the former Broadway department
store, which his Kor Group is converting into 96 condominiums over a restaurant and
shops. (Stefano Paltera / For The Times)

HOLLYWOOD MAKEOVER: Sixty residential condominiums are being built in the former
Equitable office building on Hollywood and Vine's northeast corner. (Mel Melcon / LAT)

Last edited by citywatch; Mar 21, 2006 at 4:13 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West