HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:00 AM

For some reason, looking at it driving north on South Lamar, the crown looks pretty good. The white on the columns appears very bright, they really pop and the extended mounting columns look intentional.

But from other angles (like the photos above), it looks more like an unfinished screen. I suspect over time it will grow on me, and there is always the lighting potential.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:37 AM
クラブトクヨ

I think we need to tear it down and start over.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 2:33 AM

I have never been a fan of the Austonian's crown, until now.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I think we need to tear it down and start over.
An 840+ ft tower to divert our attention would also work.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGuy View Post
I'm probably the only one that thinks so, but to me the crown looks unfinished and unattractive right now. I love the overall look of this building though, so hopefully it'll all look great and intentional once the building is complete.
Nope not at all. That crown is horrible

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the genral View Post
i have never been a fan of the austonian's crown, until now.
100%

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:07 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGuy View Post
I'm probably the only one that thinks so, but to me the crown looks unfinished and unattractive right now. I love the overall look of this building though, so hopefully it'll all look great and intentional once the building is complete.
Nope, you are in the majority for sure. It's stupid and they should have finished the top row. Like, I think they thought it was going to look like the New York Times building? But it's stupid?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Nope, you are in the majority for sure. It's stupid and they should have finished the top row. Like, I think they thought it was going to look like the New York Times building? But it's stupid?
They wish it had the NYT crown! I think the Southern view is probably the worst....From far S 1st the crown looks like this cheap after thought that just plopped up there.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:12 AM
Keep It Weird

It is a gangly thing. It's tall and stout. Egad no tv news station will place it in their backdrop until it's lit up. I like it though it reminds me of the crazy rock things in the movie Noah! It's gonna be a slightly iconic building. Yeah the crown (WOW UGLY) will not win any awards but it's a hulking and odd new tallest building. I like it

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:49 AM
Yank in Tex

I'll clearly be in the minority here but I have no issues with the crown. The beams that rise above the screen probably look unfinished because they're just beams, but it always struck me as a contemporary interpretation of Gothic roof elements, or like the pointed tops of an iron fence. PPG Place in Pittsburgh comes to mind as a more intentional nod to such detailing. I'm sure it would look just as good if the mesh rose all the way to the top but then I would want the mesh itself to have more of an interesting pattern or design, not unlike what was used at the Salesforce Transit Center in San Francisco. Just my two cents

BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:57 AM
I'm here for no one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
...a contemporary interpretation of Gothic roof elements, or like the pointed tops of an iron fence. PPG Place in Pittsburgh comes to mind as a more intentional nod to such detailing.
Ha. That's exactly why I like it, and I'm surprised somebody else posted those thoughts exactly. The lighting will be important though.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:44 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm in the same camp. I have no issues the way it is. If anything, I hope they light those poles all around with some cool lighting. It would look too flat and square if they placed the mesh all the way up.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 12:28 PM
Love Austin

Surely the team behind this development sees the potential of some well placed lighting elements within the crown. This would be money well spent and could be a real game changer for us at night.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 2:19 AM
eastbound and down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78701 View Post
The crown is not done yet, at least according to their newsletter construction update. "We expect to see it finalized soon", it says.
So, now that the crane has flown away, are we really seeing the final product of the crown?

I'm wondering if they might still use scaffolding to finish the crown. It worked on the Fairmont.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So, now that the crane has flown away, are we really seeing the final product of the crown?
I resigned myself to the likely scenario that we might have a porcupine.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

I'm wondering if they might still use scaffolding to finish the crown. It worked on the Fairmont.
As far as I've heard it's final. Cladding is going up on the parking garage right now. Construction dude I talked to said it would be a 2week or so process.

Old Posted Today, 3:26 AM
Keep It Weird

I would have loved if it had rods extended like the PPG building...just a little accent above the fucking mosquito looking mesh. It would also include about 10 ft of height. LOL

Edit...I just realized it has rods...scrawny ones but they are there! Light them up please. Condo towers aren't aggressive with lights and I barely see the Austonian lights from my views at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I'll clearly be in the minority here but I have no issues with the crown. The beams that rise above the screen probably look unfinished because they're just beams, but it always struck me as a contemporary interpretation of Gothic roof elements, or like the pointed tops of an iron fence. PPG Place in Pittsburgh comes to mind as a more intentional nod to such detailing. I'm sure it would look just as good if the mesh rose all the way to the top but then I would want the mesh itself to have more of an interesting pattern or design, not unlike what was used at the Salesforce Transit Center in San Francisco. Just my two cents

Old Posted Today, 4:28 AM

This building simply fails to get the job done. I get annoyed every time I look at it. They spent so much money trying to create something really different, but in the end they just called it a day and put that ugly mesh up around the mechanical core. It looks terrible from every angle. The developers should be ashamed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin